PDA

View Full Version : Difference between digital rca cable and analog rca cable

EDUBAG
02-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Hello guys,

this subject comes from a discussion i held with my stepfather last saturday while listening to some tunes in my place.

He brought me a digital cable, rca to rca so i could hook up my subwoofer. I told him that that is not a sub cable and they were made for digital transfers, he loughed his a.. Off and said that it is the same since they are coaxial cables.

I have been wondering about these anyways since i do not use any digital output (except hdmi), i am a little bit familiar with optical cables but do not know about the digital coaxial.

Please shime in.

Eduardo

mdaudioguy
02-22-2011, 08:33 AM
While it's possible to optimize a cable for one our the other, they're both 75 ohm cable. Check the description on these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236

Not a recommendation, just an example.

mdaudioguy
02-22-2011, 08:41 AM
In other words, it doesn't need to say, "subwoofer cable" on the package in order to transfer a subwoofer signal. And, I'm just going to throw this out there - while I believe that cables matter, I believe this one matters least.

steveinaz
02-22-2011, 08:49 AM
The 75ohm specification (correct connectors, shielding, topology) is more closely followed with good digital cables. Analog RCA's are all over the map; some have no shielding, don't use RG-59 or RG-6 (coaxial) topology, etc.

Any digital cable can be used as an analog cable, but not all analog cables work well for digital.

mdaudioguy
02-22-2011, 09:01 AM
^^^ Yes, I didn't mean to imply I'd use analog ICs for subwoofer connection. Thanks Steve!

steveinaz
02-22-2011, 09:06 AM
A digital or analog RCA would be fine for a subwoofer input cable. It's just more important to use a digital cable (properly spec'd) for digital connections.

mdaudioguy
02-22-2011, 09:45 AM
^^^ Yes, I didn't mean to imply I'd use analog ICs for subwoofer connection. Thanks Steve!

Yes, a subwoofer signal IS analog... Doh! :redface:

So.... What Steve said. :biggrin:

virtualdean
02-22-2011, 11:38 AM
The 75ohm specification (correct connectors, shielding, topology) is more closely followed with good digital cables. Analog RCA's are all over the map; some have no shielding, don't use RG-59 or RG-6 (coaxial) topology, etc.

Yep/

K-daugh
02-22-2011, 11:41 AM
this is good it answers my question that i had in my thread .....thanks everyone