PDA

View Full Version : My Onkyo died... Finally!!

Slinger182
10-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I've had my 606 for a few years and it's done it's job for the most part. The HDMI inputs were very finicky to say the least and over the past year or so one by one they started to not work no matter what cable or source I was using. Well last night the last one, that I was using for my BDP, stopped working.

I was pretty bummed but found a pretty good deal on a Pioneer 1121. Newegg has em for 450 with the promo code PIO1XX1 if anybody else is interested.

I always liked the way the Onkyo sounded just didn't like the way it operated. If that makes any sense.

I had my eye on an elite sc-35 but since I have plans to add an external amp or an integrated I figured I should save a little on the receiver.

The Pio should be here next week. I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up.:biggrin:

cnh
10-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Congrats, the Pio is a great replacement for the Onkyo.

I 'really' wish Onkyo would start putting some FANS in its HDMI sections!! My 805 is still running strong (knock on wood). But I use it, maybe once a week or less! And it has 1 1/2 feet of clearance over it and is 'open' on all sides sitting on the very bottom rung of my entertainment rack! Oh yeah, the 805 has two internal fans on either side of the monster power transformer (where most of the 51 lbs of weight is)...but those fans NEVER come on unless the unit is experiencing a melt-down temp of over 165 degrees. You could almost slow cook a Turkey at that temp.

Just 'what' are Onkyo Engineers 'thinking' I wonder? Let's see, we make a unit that has a 3-4 year life span and then people will by a new one from us! NOT! I've seen too many Onkyo HDMI boards fail, and everyone here knows that that IS the place where the MOST heat is generated. Just try to keep your hand over that when its operating without getting burned!

In any case.....Enjoy the new unit!

cnh

polkfarmboy
10-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Sad to hear about the onkyo .My 607 was solid and worked great and now I have a pioneer elite vsx and the hdmi ports are side ways spread out vertically. It sucks because 1 went out then mysteriously the other went out so I'm down to one hdmi input

dvran
10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Is it wrong that I can't wait till my 607 goes bad for an excuse I can give to my wife to buy a new receiver? :wink:

cnh
10-05-2011, 10:58 AM
No, I don't think so. But I hope my Onkyo lives on for years to come.

cnh

EndersShadow
10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Is it wrong that I can't wait till my 607 goes bad for an excuse I can give to my wife to buy a new receiver? :wink:

Nope, I keep hoping my Integra craps out so I can get a Denon 4311CI with Audysee XT32 :eek:. Especially since I ONLY have 2EQ right now.

polkfarmboy
10-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Why not open the thing up and do a little altering ?

jon s
10-05-2011, 02:02 PM
I've had my 606 for a few years and it's done it's job for the most part. The HDMI inputs were very finicky to say the least and over the past year or so one by one they started to not work no matter what cable or source I was using. Well last night the last one, that I was using for my BDP, stopped working.

I was pretty bummed but found a pretty good deal on a Pioneer 1121. Newegg has em for 450 with the promo code PIO1XX1 if anybody else is interested.

I always liked the way the Onkyo sounded just didn't like the way it operated. If that makes any sense.

I had my eye on an elite sc-35 but since I have plans to add an external amp or an integrated I figured I should save a little on the receiver.

The Pio should be here next week. I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up.:biggrin:

you know that the HDMI problem is common on the 606? There is a fix for it... you need to replace 10 caps on the HDMI board. Apparently, Onkyo used cheap low temp caps on the board which dries out from the heat from the HDMI processor. Just replace the bad caps with higher temp caps and it shud be good to go...

BlueFox
10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
and everyone here knows that that IS the place where the MOST heat is generated.

Why is the HDMI ports generating much heat? This is the first I have heard that. I just did a Google search for HDMI heat, and there isn't much. Mainly some questions about the cable getting hot due to the +5v running through the cable and the current drawn.

jon s
10-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Why is the HDMI ports generating much heat? This is the first I have heard that. I just did a Google search for HDMI heat, and there isn't much. Mainly some questions about the cable getting hot due to the +5v running through the cable and the current drawn.

It's the HDMI chips that are generating the heat... The HDMI processors (especially the HQV series) are complex processors and get extremely hot. On my Onkyo 905/906, the heat is so intense, you cannot leave your hand over the case where the processor is located. Unfortunately, there are no heat sinks attached to the processors and the heat is dispersed to the HDMI circuit board. The low grade capacitors (rated for 85 degrees C) dry and the board fails. Replacement caps should be rated for 105 degrees.

Link here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246078&highlight=hdmi+daughterboard) for repairing the Onkyo 606

BlueFox
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
I see. It is an Onkyo problen. I misread and thought it was HDMI in general. I never noticed my AVR getting hot, except for when I put the DVD playher on top of it.

Slinger182
10-21-2011, 08:50 AM
you know that the HDMI problem is common on the 606? There is a fix for it... you need to replace 10 caps on the HDMI board. Apparently, Onkyo used cheap low temp caps on the board which dries out from the heat from the HDMI processor. Just replace the bad caps with higher temp caps and it shud be good to go...

I've read about the fix and am planning on giving it a try and giving the 606 to a buddy of mine.

I've had the 1121 for a couple weeks and have been really impressed with it. It definitely sounds better. My girlfriend even noticed and I hadn't told her that I replaced the receiver. I haven't gotten into the network stuff yet but so far I like MCACC a whole lot more that audyssey.

jbooker82
10-21-2011, 06:52 PM
I put a small fan on top of my onkyo because I run it in close quarters.