PDA

View Full Version : New Arivals...

kkowal
11-16-2005, 10:58 AM
I Just Inherited some Vintage audio (My Favorite Uncle Passed away :( )and have some questions. items are 2 polk audio sda srs 2s both are in mint cond and work very well. The other is a pioneer sx 1080 also in very good cond. is there any thing i should know about maintaining this equipment??

F1nut
11-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the forum.

**** can the Pioneer, get some real power. The SDA's will benefit from a tweeter upgrade available from Polk, part # RD0194-1.

Sorry about your uncle.

nadams
11-16-2005, 12:16 PM
F1- I have to very much disagree with your opinions of the 1080. http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/SX1080.html

120 REAL Watts of output, a real workhorse, for sure. Back when Pioneer meant something...

danger boy
11-16-2005, 12:18 PM
how deep do you want to get into this hobby for the best sound for those SDA SRS'2s?

the best thing you can do is to for best sound if you want to invest in proper stereo equipment for them is to get a pre amp and a power amp. that will yield the best sound for you.

If you're not looking to spend that much... then a decent high current receiver will be another option. a good receiver you're looking at around $800 and up. for a the amp/pre amp you're looking around $1500 and up.. this is new of course. less $$ if you buy used gear. You have several options for mixing and matching gear.

*oh yeah. that silver faced Pioneer could be worth something right now.. as lots of vintage Pioneer stereo equipment has a large following. so don't ditch it before you realize what you have. :p

nadams
11-16-2005, 12:21 PM
I honestly don't think he needs to upgrade anything. I'm sure that vintage Pioneer receiver sounds absolutely awesome with those SRS's. It's got more than enough grunt to push them around.

F1nut
11-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Noah, Pioneer never meant something.

danger boy
11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
silver faced Pioneer gear :D

capecodder
11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Don't be so hasty with the Pioneer. It was built during the '70's golden era of stereo equip. Cost about $750 back then. It is a beast (in a good way) piece of equipment with 120 wts/chl. and very good stats. It may not be the "best" amp for your Polks but it sure is a very good receiver to hold on to if you have a need. Check out this web site for more info

http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/

capecodder
11-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Wow, in the 5 minutes it took me to make a post after F1's, it looks like a lot of others also came to the rescue of the Pioneer

nadams
11-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Hell, even my SX-450 with 15wpc sounds good, until you top it out. I can't imagine what 120wpc in vintage pioneer would sound like, but I would imagine "good" would be accurate. danger boy- I love that pic! awesome!

TroyD
11-16-2005, 12:34 PM
That pic? Hmmmm a lot of mediocre sound.

Will the Pioneer drive the SDA's? Sure.

For my tastes, a receiver is never the answer. SDA's deserve good separates. Others may not agree which is perfectly within thier province.

BDT

nadams
11-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I will agree that separates would be better, as I'm on my own quest for separates. However, F1 was implying that the 1080 was worthless, which it certainly is NOT.

kkowal
11-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I do not plan on seperating this equipment the pioneer has pre amp out any amp suggestions around 500 wpc..

cfrizz
11-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi kkowal & welcome. If you like the equipment & the sound that it is producing then just dust it off every now & again & you will be fine. My condolences for your Uncle.

Fellas, he didn't say boo about upgrading, tweaking, ect ect. Is there anything else he needs to do to maintain the equipment that he has? That was the question.

TroyD
11-16-2005, 12:46 PM
I will agree that separates would be better, as I'm on my own quest for separates. However, F1 was implying that the 1080 was worthless, which it certainly is NOT.

I'm not going to speak for Jesse but I would have said much the same thing. IMO, the Pioneer is not in the same league as the SRS's. So, yes, move it down the road and bag decent separates.

In terms of power, depends on your budget but more power doesn't always equate to better. I'd look for a nice used tube preamp and a decent power amp with a couple hundred wpc.

Now, if maintaining it is the question, as Cathy pointed out....dust it off. If you aren't getting any static out of it, no worries. I might invest in some Caig deoxit and contact cleaner and so forth...but, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BDT

Steamer
11-16-2005, 12:51 PM
I've got a Pioneer SX-980. Power wise it'll push just about anything. It's a real beast for power. Still compared to my seperates it certainly isn't in the same league. I sure wouldnt toss it though. I use mine with my computer. Real happy with it there.

danger boy
11-16-2005, 12:53 PM
I wasn't saying he should power his SDA's with the Pioneer.. all i'm saying it use the Pionner somewhere else.. another vintage stereo rig perhaps. ;)

ND13
11-16-2005, 12:53 PM
I do not plan on seperating this equipment the pioneer has pre amp out any amp suggestions around 500 wpc..

Good idea. Use the pre-out and get an amp with at least 200 high current watts per channel and you'll get the SRS 2s to sing. I know, I own them and just went from about 125 high current watts to 315 high current watts and it made a big difference in dynamics due to the added headroom from the Parasound.

I'm sure that several here will attest to Parasound amps and SDAs as a good combo. You can find a nice PSound amp on Audiogon.com in the $350-$600 range most of the time.

Sorry you had to acquire the SDAs that way. Keep your Uncle's gear in good shape and in the family.

Welcome to Club Polk :)

steveinaz
11-16-2005, 01:50 PM
F1- I have to very much disagree with your opinions of the 1080. http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/SX1080.html

120 REAL Watts of output, a real workhorse, for sure. Back when Pioneer meant something...

Yep, I'll second that. The SX-1080 was a gem.

F1nut
11-16-2005, 04:14 PM
The only gear Pioneer made that is worth a mention were the Series 20 amps and even those are easily surpassed.

"Pioneer introduced a line of true audiophile components in the late 1970s known as Series 20. These components used the latest engineering and displayed the finest quality parts Pioneer had ever manufactured."

The M-22 and M-25 amps,
http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/m22_amplifier.htm

danger boy
11-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Jesse,
i'm sure a lot of the Pioneer equipment isn't true audiophile components.. but you do have to admit that they must have done something right. they sure have a big following.

While not reference quality.. i love my analog TX-9500 II tuner. it's very sensitive and sounds quite good.

but to each his own.

madmax
11-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Noah, Pioneer never meant something.

F1, You are absolutely wrong on this one. Wrong I tell ya! I'm not refering to the receiver or the rack o silver either.

Before that Pioneer made tube equipment. I once made a bid of $900 on a 50wpc EL-34 amplifier. Looked pretty cool!

madmax

F1nut
11-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Chuck...... :p

heiney9
11-16-2005, 07:13 PM
The only gear Pioneer made that is worth a mention were the Series 20 amps and even those are easily surpassed.

"Pioneer introduced a line of true audiophile components in the late 1970s known as Series 20. These components used the latest engineering and displayed the finest quality parts Pioneer had ever manufactured."

The M-22 and M-25 amps,
http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/m22_amplifier.htm

Those series 20's look pretty bad ass. I like looking at those big caps and transformers. Saw one of these recently on E-bay. Pioneer has always been middle of the road to me. I was over at audio karma for awhile and I just have to laugh at how many people think Pioneer, Sansui and Marantz are the ****. I can't read anymore posts from audio karma....it just boggles the mind that these people really believe that those vintage pieces have no equal today. Sure the stuff was built like a tank and sounded good for the day....but that day passed along time ago. The Pioneer Sx-1080 is capable but nothing to write home about, very average and probably better than today's economy (read cheapo) receivers.

Hang on to it or go over to audio karma and sell it for a big profit because there are some guys over there that will give you top $$$ plus for the SX-1080. It certainly is a very desireable model....I have no clue why. I had the same year SX something way back as my first receiver and it crapped out eventually.

H9

ND13
11-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Now don't be bad mouthing Marantz or putting them in the same class as Pioneer. Marantz kicks Pioneer's arse :D

TroyD
11-16-2005, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=danger boy].. but you do have to admit that they must have done something right. they sure have a big following.
QUOTE]

So does Bose...

BDT

heiney9
11-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Now don't be bad mouthing Marantz or putting them in the same class as Pioneer. Marantz kicks Pioneer's arse :D

Certain models.....I'd agree. I'm basically commenting on what "others" views are over at AK. I'm also not meaning to cut anyones gear down. If he likes the SX-1080 then Kudo's for him. But some of those guys over at AK are just plain nuts in their Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz worship....scarey stuff :D :p

H9

BrentMcGhee
11-16-2005, 07:49 PM
well this thread escelated rather quickly..........

Back to the main question, Hook em' up and enjoy, you wont be disapointed with those speakers... once you enjoy them for a while and you get addicted to this hobby (you will) then you can move on to all of the advise that was kinda thrown at you right away in this thread. But for now just relax and enjoy the music, once your in too deep it is extremely hard to be satisfied with whatever equipment you have.

schwarcw
11-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry about your uncle. Enjoy the SDA's. The Pioneer SX-1080 is not audiophile quality. But it is a decent amp that will power those SDA's until you can get something better.

danger boy
11-16-2005, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=danger boy].. but you do have to admit that they must have done something right. they sure have a big following.
QUOTE]

So does Bose...

BDT

yeah but Bose sounds terrible. I don't think you can say all Pioneer sounds bad. there is a difference. you can twist the facts any which way you want to crunch the numbers in your favor.
I'm not defending Pioneer.. they had their hey day in the 70's... like Marantz and Sansui did.. their time may have passed. I'm not sure.

Troy stating something like that does no good. IN here an many other audio forums you'll find people that like every flavor of gear out there under the sun. and if you ask each and every person. their **** is the best.

I happen to like vintage Pioneer gear. all of it? Nope of course not.. but the higher end stuff was good in it's day.. and by todays standards is outdated.. some of it still sounds good to me. Can you campare it to todays gear? Of course not... it's technology is way outdated... twenty or thirty years old. But you can't say a blanket statement that it all is bad.

I like some Marantz gear.. is all of it good, nope. Is all Marantz gear bad? yeah a lot of it is.. esp most of their stuff from the past 20 yrs. But at one time... Marantz was the gear to have if you were a true audiophile.

nadams
11-16-2005, 08:56 PM
after all... look at how old the SDA technology is, and how much we all love it...

Steamer
11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
I've got a SX-950 in my bedroom along with the SX-980 with my computer. I don't own two SX's because they sound bad. They sound quite good. I don't own them just because they have that vintage look.

cfrizz
11-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Excellent Point!!!!

There is something out there for everyone. Audiophile like everything else is a very subjective term.

Kkowal has already stated that he has no intentions of getting rid of his Pioneer. Therefore, this debate isn't really relevant. He realizes he needs better amplification and is planning on getting a separate amp to add to it. He has asked for recommendations of amps.

kkowal, Noel has given you one good choice of Parasound. You can also look at Rotel, Outlaw, the list is almost endless. You would be doing just fine with 200 watts per channel.

Enjoy what you have Kkowal & let us know your impressions of the SDA's as you increase your listening time! :)

after all... look at how old the SDA technology is, and how much we all love it...

TroyD
11-16-2005, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=TroyD]

yeah but Bose sounds terrible. I don't think you can say all Pioneer sounds bad. there is a difference. you can twist the facts any which way you want to crunch the numbers in your favor.
I'm not defending Pioneer.. they had their hey day in the 70's... like Marantz and Sansui did.. their time may have passed. I'm not sure.

Troy stating something like that does no good. IN here an many other audio forums you'll find people that like every flavor of gear out there under the sun. and if you ask each and every person. their **** is the best.

I happen to like vintage Pioneer gear. all of it? Nope of course not.. but the higher end stuff was good in it's day.. and by todays standards is outdated.. some of it still sounds good to me. Can you campare it to todays gear? Of course not... it's technology is way outdated... twenty or thirty years old. But you can't say a blanket statement that it all is bad.

I like some Marantz gear.. is all of it good, nope. Is all Marantz gear bad? yeah a lot of it is.. esp most of their stuff from the past 20 yrs. But at one time... Marantz was the gear to have if you were a true audiophile.

See, I DON'T think Bose sounds terrible. I think that they are EXPENSIVE for what you get. I have a couple of friends who think that thier 901's that they bought back in the day are just fantastic. You know what? Who am I to argue with them?

I'm not saying all Pioneer is bad. I AM saying it's midfi gear. There is nothing wrong with midfi gear. However, I think the SRS's are hifi and deserve an equitable front end.

I also think that there is gear older than I am that is better than what is currently produced so I don't buy the newer is better argument.

I like Marantz too. I don't think that any of thier receivers are worthy of pushing a pair of SRS's either.

Again, I'm not knocking brands, I'm just making a suggestion based on what he's got for speakers.

BDT

kkowal
11-17-2005, 12:48 AM
I Have Had them running for 2weeks and have found the weak spot is the pioneer hands down.. It Works fine without the interconnect cable Volume knob goes to 3'oclock but as soon as i plug it in the amp clips out at about 9oclock can any one explain this cables function in detail.. :confused: I Got Out The VOM And measured 3.5 ohms (Holy low batman)

TroyD
11-17-2005, 12:52 AM
The cable is what makes SDA work....now as to why the amp is acting that way, I dunno, it really shouldn't under normal circumstances.

BDT

F1nut
11-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Hmmmm.......3 o'clock? Should be clipping like crazy at that level. In fact, I'm surprised you haven't cooked the thing. Where did you measure 3.5 ohms?

The cable sends a signal between the speakers that cancels interaural crosstalk. Without the cable connected you are only driving half the mid drivers in each cabinet. Perhaps the full driver load is too much for the receiver, but even I doubt that's the case. Measure ohms across the negative outputs.

TroyD
11-17-2005, 03:18 AM
I'd say the Pioneer has issues. Sounds like F1 was right all along :D

BDT

Tour2ma
11-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Sounds like a non-common ground issue, but surely your uncle did not put up with that issue... I take it he did run the SDA's on the Pioneer... Yes?

As for all the preceding discussions... I've never liked Pioneer. I have an irrational bias against that brand and am sticking with it... :p

As for Bose, used Series I and II 901's in the $200 to $250 area are the only ones I'd own... and I do... :D

heiney9
11-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Sounds like a Pioneer issue. The rec is old and is probably in need of a "fresehening up". The bypass caps, coupling caps and probably many other parts are getting old and perhaps dried up or way out of tolerence, it's very common for that older gear to have these issues. If you are really set on keeping it take it to a reputable repair shop and ask them to spec it out and then refresh it. It's not going to be cheap, but maybe the sentimental value means something to you. It should drive the SDA's to normal listening levels without trouble, normally. Although 3:00 position is pretty high.

My first rec was a Pioneer SX-780 (I think thats the model number) I was 15 and didn't really know anything about stereos. At the time I had 2 pairs of speakers hooked up to it and at moderate volumes the display light would dim to the beat of the music. That's one of memories that led to believe Pionner receivers of tha era are just very mediocre.

H9

kkowal
11-17-2005, 09:11 AM
The Receveiver was gone threw 1 year ago the spec sheet reports 175/175 at 1000HZ @1%THD And at 120/120 at 1000Hz @.007 THD Receiver works very well with the pair of pioneer hpm 900 no amp clip at all (6ohm Load)

I measered the ohms of of the two terminals on the back of the speaker.
both report 3.5 with the cable or without it?? It is a 2 wire blade plug if That helps.

nadams
11-17-2005, 09:17 AM
hmm... perhaps your issues are with the speakers then? You should not have to turn the volume up that high to get any appreciable amount of sound. On my 20wpc Marantz receiver I'm using right now on my SDA2's, I only have it to 9 o'clock or so at a normal listening volume, and 11 o'clock for loud :)

heiney9
11-17-2005, 09:19 AM
The Receveiver was gone threw 1 year ago the spec sheet reports 175/175 at 1000HZ @1%THD And at 120/120 at 1000Hz @.007 THD Receiver works very well with the pair of pioneer hpm 900 no amp clip at all (6ohm Load)

I measered the ohms of of the two terminals on the back of the speaker.
both report 3.5 with the cable or without it?? It is a 2 wire blade plug if That helps.

Ahh, so it's having trouble even after being serviced. Well the HPM's aren't even on the same planet as the SDA's.....perhaps even in a different galaxy. What you have now is the best that Pioneer is going to do for the SDA's.

H9

kkowal
11-17-2005, 09:29 AM
I Have Also Done a test on the blades on the cable and it works as it should. Curenntly running test on indivdual speakers in the cabinet so far so good.
All speakers are working with or with out the cable I thought it only used half the drivers without it??

Ricardo
11-17-2005, 09:35 AM
I Have Also Done a test on the blades on the cable and it works as it should. Curenntly running test on indivdual speakers in the cabinet so far so good.
All speakers are working with or with out the cable I thought it only used half the drivers without it??

Are you sure they are all working? They will all "move" together, but does not necessarily mean they are working...just a thought. If you take the passive radiator out you will be able to see better which are working...

kkowal
11-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Yup removed passive and all are moving on there own

nadams
11-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Hmm... that's not how it should be. Only half of the drivers will work with the SDA cable removed. (usually the inside drivers on each cabinet are the stereo drivers, which should operate with the cable removed)

Ricardo
11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Seems like something in the internal wiring has been modified then......could explain the amp isue..

kkowal
11-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Am curently lookin at the crossover and looks to be modified no small caps just large 500v Black 55uF & 34uf cant get nubers off the rest they are glue covered need original pics to know for shure..

nadams
11-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Sounds like maybe someone attempted the crossover upgrade, but crossed a wire somewheres.

kkowal
11-17-2005, 09:55 AM
The 2 drivers on the right side are low freq and the 2 on the left are mid drivers (Left Cabinet) ---The 2 drivers on the left are low freq and the 2 on the right are mid drivers (Right Cabinet)

nadams
11-17-2005, 10:13 AM
what do you mean by low freq and mid drivers? On the SDA SRS, all four drivers should be the same- MW6503's.

nadams
11-17-2005, 10:14 AM
oops

Ricardo
11-17-2005, 10:19 AM
yeah....agree with nadams and his brother...

kkowal
11-17-2005, 10:43 AM
They all Have the same Number 6503 But the point at which the wires come out of the crossover is different the freq cut off is lower for the outer drivers
and the inner is cut off at about 400hz or higher

kkowal
11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Test yours and see

kkowal
11-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Even a untrained ear such as mine can tell the difference

Ricardo
11-17-2005, 10:49 AM
I am not an expert and even if I tried I would not be able to get to crossover cuts by driver....the point here is that for SDA speakers half of the drivers work as stereo, and the other half work as SDA or cancelation; the SDA drivers (the two drivers located to the outside of the speaker) will not work if the interconnect between the two speakers is not plugged. If you have all four drivers working without the interconnect, something was wired wrong. You can call Customer Service and ask for a schematic for your speaker model; they will mail it to you at no charge and you will be able to see what's wrong.

nadams
11-17-2005, 10:52 AM
And, try not to post three times for something that can be put in one post :). Mine was an accidental double-post, as my browser stopped going halfway through and I didn't think it made it :). But what HTrookie says is truth!

The wires for the drivers come from different places on the crossover because of the SDA effect. The SDA drivers will sound quieter, but there should be no frequency differences. The SDA drivers get the same signal as the stereo drivers.

kkowal
11-17-2005, 10:53 AM
As I Have tested each speaker individualy and have found the drivers are all the same. Tweets Also. The frequences That come out of them due to the crossovers is different Top tweet Has A Higher freq output than the bottom one. As i said Before The Drivers The 2 drivers on the right side are low freq and the 2 on the left are mid drivers (Left Cabinet) ---The 2 drivers on the left are low freq and the 2 on the right are mid drivers (Right Cabinet) I Can Hear The Difference!

nadams
11-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Alright... never mind. Not going to argue.

steveinaz
11-17-2005, 10:56 AM
oh...so it wasn't the ****ty Pioneer?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ricardo
11-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Ok; good for you and your ears....but something is WRONG with your speakers if all 4 drivers work without the interconnect. I'm done here.

kkowal
11-17-2005, 10:59 AM
When I Connect the Cable it adds Midrange Feqs To The Outer Drivers

nadams
11-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I really think that what you're hearing with the interconnect unplugged is just the bleed over from the stereo drivers being in the same cabinet. This can happen even with the passive radiator removed, to a point. that's just what I'm getting from all this... you can take or leave whatever of my opinions you want :)

I still think there's something wrong that you have to turn the receiver up so high... seems very strange.

kkowal
11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
I Removed All Drivers And Tested One At A Time In The Cabinet.They All work Play Stevie Ray Vaughan Tin Pan Alley (Live) at Low Volume just To Test.

Ricardo
11-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Oh...that explains it; try some different music....

kkowal
11-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm Not Try to be Mean, And I Appreciate All The Help.. I Need To Understand The Speakers Better And Posibly see pics Of Proper Crossover Arangment .So If Any One Could I Would Be Very Greatful.

kkowal
11-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi!!

Ricardo
11-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Try reading post#58 again..

F1nut
11-17-2005, 11:59 AM
The frequences That come out of them due to the crossovers is different Top tweet Has A Higher freq output than the bottom one. As i said Before The Drivers The 2 drivers on the right side are low freq and the 2 on the left are mid drivers (Left Cabinet) ---The 2 drivers on the left are low freq and the 2 on the right are mid drivers (Right Cabinet) I Can Hear The Difference!

As explained correctly before, the inner stereo drivers are slightly louder than the outer SDA drivers and the tweeters are a point source, so the top one plays louder than the bottom one. The outer drivers DO NOT work without the cable.

When I Connect the Cable it adds Midrange Feqs To The Outer Drivers

That is correct, your speakers are working as they should be.

Measure ohms across the negative outputs of your receiver, report back.

Please stop using caps on every word, makes it hard to read your posts.

kkowal
11-17-2005, 12:12 PM
.2ohms they have a common ground sorry

F1nut
11-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Ok, at this point you should ask Polk to send you a copy of the SDA test procedure along with the schematics and do not use the speakers until you have fully tested them.

thehaens@cox.net
11-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Where did you measure 3.5 ohms?

Are the SRS 2's nominally 5 ohm speakers? If so I imagine he read the 3.5 ohms across the speaker terminals, (DCR)
scott

kkowal
11-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Yes I read it off of the speaker terminals.

nadams
11-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Somewhere around here there's a post with the SDA test procedure attached... I'm trying to find it. I know it was linked to me when I got my SDA 2's not too long ago.

nadams
11-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Okay, check post #13 in this thread- http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31752&highlight=sda+troubleshooting

kkowal
11-17-2005, 12:37 PM
1. Do you have the IC connected? Check the drivers with the SDA cable connected and un-connected.
2. Describe your speaker layout. ie, distance to walls, apart, to listening position.
3. Check to make sure your speaker wires are attached correctly, ie positive to positive etc.
4. If you have a decible meter, check to see all drivers and tweeters are putting out the same amount of sound as the corresponding driver/tweeter in the other speaker.
5. And, yes of course, make sure you have the left speaker on the left etc.

You'll get it right, and when working properly, you'll have a great pair of speakers

Is this it?? I've done this

kkowal
11-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Nop i found it tanx

kkowal
11-17-2005, 12:45 PM
RED TERMINAL TO BLACK TERMINAL 3.7 Ω So My Readings are Correct

nadams
11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Follow the instructions on the document attached to this post- http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=338806&postcount=13

kkowal
11-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Definetly need amp!!!!

kkowal
11-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Thank you nadams your a god!

Ricardo
11-17-2005, 12:52 PM
I am starting to think that the problem here is not the Pioneer, not the speakers........

kkowal
11-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Ohhk

Tour2ma
11-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Nice to see that the SDA Checklist finally made it to the forum.

Back on the different tweeter levels... My understanding for my SRS's has been that there's a primary one and that additional one(s) roll in as HF signal increases. I'd assume same is true for the SRS2's, 2.3's, etc., where there are multiple tweeters aligned vertically. So one is going to sound louder.

On the common ground check... 0.2 ohm is not 0.0, which is what my common ground amps read when checked. Conversely, a non-common ground amp is not going to read infinity when checked, unless it's a pure, twin mono design.

ND13
11-17-2005, 03:23 PM
On my SRS 2s the two tweeters do sound a little different.

F1nut
11-17-2005, 07:07 PM
On the common ground check... 0.2 ohm is not 0.0, which is what my common ground amps read when checked.

Good on ya Bruce. I got to thinking about that after I posted my last response and signed off, figured I make a comment when I was able to get back to the puter, but ya beat me to it. :)

See Steve, it is the ****ty Pioneer. ;)

As for the SDA's with line array tweeters, it's called a progessive point source and the main tweeter always plays louder.

Tour2ma
11-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks... I still have my moments. Although they seem to be fewer and farther between, e.g., 6 months ago I might just have said "line array".... :D

dorokusai
11-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Multimeters drop out of calibration from time to time. Fluke meters can be reset for this issue. Continuity with an audible tone is just as good as a number....in regards to the common ground issue.

Tour2ma
11-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Continuity with an audible tone is just as good as a number....in regards to the common ground issue.As in wiring a speaker L+ to R- or vice versa???

dorokusai
11-17-2005, 08:33 PM
No, an amplifier....that's what the original question was, correct?

Tour2ma
11-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Correct...
I could have worded question a bit better... more like:
"single speaker wired to amp's L+ and R- or vice versa."

dorokusai
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Are you suggesting an amplifier wired in monoblock configuration, or just miswired?

Tour2ma
11-17-2005, 10:25 PM
The latter... although at this point I'm not sure anymore...

kkowal
11-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Well problem solved got a adcom GFA 5800 250wpc nice still using pioneer sx1080 for preamp sda srs2 realy perked up thankx for the help every one.

heiney9
11-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Well problem solved got a adcom GFA 5800 250wpc nice still using pioneer sx1080 for preamp sda srs2 realy perked up thankx for the help every one.

Adcom's are great for sure......Make sure to check and see that it is a common ground amp. Most of the bigger amps have secondary windings which makes them NON-COMMON ground. You can possibly ruin your SDA's if you don't have the right cable (A-1 cable I believe). It's been mentioned on here that the GFA-5802 and GFA-5500 are NOT common ground.

FWIW

H9