PDA

View Full Version : Von Schweikert VR4 Jrs.

wingnut4772
05-26-2006, 12:08 PM
I just picked up this pair on Audiogon and I should have them by next week. I am curious to see how they compare with the LSIs. They are a floor demo and come with the full 10 year warranty so I will just resell them for what I paid if I am not blown away. Does anyone else have these or has anyone compared them to the Polks?

cfrizz
05-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Darla!!!! You've gone positively mad!!!!:eek: ;) :D

wingnut4772
05-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Yes! :D But I figure no harm done if I re-sell them. Now..if I like them I might be in trouble:eek:

Zero
05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Yep. Many times.

The VR4 series is a very solid and capable speaker. I've compared them to the LSi-15's on numerous occasions (As well as the VR-1's and VR-2's).

I won't tell you what I thought because I dont want you to have any pre conceived notions going into this gig. I hope no one else chimes in with their impressions between the two either........ I am instead interesting on hearing what you have to say without prior bias exposure.

With all of that said... those VR4 JR's love a larger room. It's a speaker where you can sit just outside of the triangle and still achieve good results.

Otherwise, congrats.

dorokusai
05-26-2006, 01:28 PM
I've heard about 6 pairs of VS in the past week...outstanding speaker.

Early B.
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Oh my goodness!!

I've heard this speaker, but the setup wasn't approppriate (being powered by a receiver). Nevertheless, this exact model and color is on my short list.

Congrats. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. When do they arrive? Make sure you post a review of them here. My prediction is that you'll keep them.

wingnut4772
05-26-2006, 07:09 PM
I should get them by Friday or so of next week. I am concerned because my room is HUGE but the actual front stage is kinda cramped. I guess I will see how they image compared to the Polks. I actually did manage to get a demo of these today at a local shop and they sound amazing! I guess I will see how they sound in my room. The only thing I am not really feeling is the Von Schweikert center channel- LCR15. I heard it today with the VR4Jr.s and it is not really up to their caliber.... I don't think the Lsi9 will match up with the Vr4 Jrs at all either so that may be a concern. Supposedly VAS has a more worthy center channel on the horizon.

Joey_V
05-27-2006, 02:36 AM
I have heard the VR4jr and I did not like them at all.... I was hoping to be blown away as I always thought these guys had that "nirvana" hype around them.

Just me I bet.

wingnut4772
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
It's my understanding that if you listen to them before they break in that you will be severely underwhelmed. They require about 400 hours or so of LOUD break in time according to the VSA site. The set I listened to yesterday was totally broken in and sounded just heavenly on only a NAD receiver. My speakers are floor demos but ,according to the store, only have about 100 hours on them so I will need to round them off.

W WALDECKER
05-27-2006, 11:20 AM
I just picked up this pair on Audiogon and I should have them by next week. I am curious to see how they compare with the LSIs. They are a floor demo and come with the full 10 year warranty so I will just resell them for what I paid if I am not blown away. Does anyone else have these or has anyone compared them to the Polks?Hey Darla, the VR 4 jr is a very good loudspeaker. i have a friend in Northern Va who owns a pair and is very pleased with the sound quality. congradulations! thanks....WCW III

halo
05-27-2006, 01:28 PM
I heard the same pair Joey did on an all tube rig. Awesome sound imo. Different tastes I guess but if I had the means I'd seriously consider owning a pair. Congrats btw!

wingnut4772
05-29-2006, 11:02 AM
I have not received them yet but I just wanted to add that I picked up a VS LCR15 center and the TS150 surrounds too...you know..just in case I like the Vr4Jrs...so my set up will be timbre matched and all:o

cfrizz
05-29-2006, 11:52 AM
You've got it bad!!!:eek: :D

BTW what's with the mini thumbnails? I can't make out the features of the mains clearly cause they are so small!

Help a half blind woman out wouldya???:D

wingnut4772
05-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Oh sorry. I must have copied them when they were teeny.

halo
05-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Do you have the other LSi 9 (in addition to your "center channel")?

Early B.
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
The center channel should be fine once it is calibrated properly. I love the finish on 'em.

wingnut4772
05-29-2006, 01:53 PM
No I just have the one. I split the pair with someone else who wanted to use it as a center.

wingnut4772
05-29-2006, 01:54 PM
If it turns out that I prefer ths VS s I will probably end up selling the Polks for local pick up if anyone in the South Florida area is interested. But that is not known yet...;)

SCompRacer
05-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Oh sorry. I must have copied them when they were teeny.

That is better. Such a tease before.:D

Congrats on your new speakers. Got a log book for keeping track of your hours?

wingnut4772
05-29-2006, 02:16 PM
No...but that's a good idea...and thanks.

SCompRacer
05-29-2006, 02:27 PM
I just use a small 7" x 5" spiral bound notebook in an add-a-line fashion.

ND13
05-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Those are some serious looking speaks you got there Darla. Gorgeous finish.

Congrats!!!

Joey_V
05-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Veneer looks gorgeous Darla! Love it.

I really wish I liked them when I heard them, if I did, it would be in my system right now. I dig the way they look and the way it uses that two cabinet technique ala Wilson. My dealer was selling his pair for $2700, which isnt a bad price at all if I jumped on them.

I'll try to listen to them again someday just to make sure I'm not hearing things.

W WALDECKER
05-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Veneer looks gorgeous Darla! Love it.

I really wish I liked them when I heard them, if I did, it would be in my system right now. I dig the way they look and the way it uses that two cabinet technique ala Wilson. My dealer was selling his pair for $2700, which isnt a bad price at all if I jumped on them.

I'll try to listen to them again someday just to make sure I'm not hearing things. Depending on personal tastes and various combinations of gear, cables ,listening room acoustics and even the choice of music used during the audition session and even the type of mood that you are in at the time. sonic results may vary greatly. System Synergy And room integration have a great deal to do with how good something sounds,that of course along with personal preference. thanks....WCW III :)

wingnut4772
05-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Joey V,

Do you know if the ones you listened to were broken in? 400 hrs can take a bit.

dorokusai
05-29-2006, 09:24 PM
I've found that X-400 hours takes no real time out of your schedule at all with a "test" disc and the "repeat" function. I use an Ayre Burn-In CD, turn it up...press Mute and go to work for a week or two. I spend alot of time with cans, so it's not a big deal.

As long as you don't mind running your gear while you are away, it's easy.

wingnut4772
05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
A burn in cd, eh? I wil have to look that up. Thanks. According to the store I only have 300 or so hours to go.

wingnut4772
05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
They come tomorrow ! Yay:D
I am trying to find lead shot to fill these babies and I am having a bear of a time. What caliber? does it matter? I called the local Outdoors store and they had no clue.

steveinaz
05-31-2006, 12:23 PM
I hope no one else chimes in with their impressions between the two either........ I am instead interesting on hearing what you have to say without prior bias exposure.

Shouldn't matter anyway...when it comes to speakers, opinions are largely a moot point---or should be.

SCompRacer
05-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I am trying to find lead shot to fill these babies and I am having a bear of a time. What caliber? does it matter? I called the local Outdoors store and they had no clue.

7&1/2 to 9 would fill the void better than a larger shot size. Some folks use 'sand box' sand as it usually is cleaned and sterilized. Read an old thread here about using kitty litter.

dkg999
05-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Darla - do you have a Gander Mountain or a Bass Pro anywhere close? I believe I went by a Bass Pro store on my way from Miami Intl to Miami Beach my last trip into town. You should be able to buy 25lb bags of chilled lead shot in the reloading section of the hunting/shooting area. I use #6 shot, however the smaller sizes as Rich mentioned (#7 thru #9) will also work. With #6 shot any leftover goes into reloading shells for trap and sporting clays! I have found that the lead shot works better for weight and mass, although using something like reptile sand from the pet store might give you better dampening and resonation control.

SCompRacer
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
I read a thread somewhere about using sand and shot. Bet that would take some time. Fill, tap, fill, tap....

steveinaz
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Cool speaks Darla! Nice score.

del44
05-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Very handsome speakers. I really like the 2 piece design. I am sure they will sound as wonderful as they look. Way to go.:)

wingnut4772
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
:D Thanks guys..I ordered 50 lbs from an outdoor supply shop online of #7 lead shot. That should be a fun project.:)

ohskigod
06-01-2006, 10:42 AM

aim more for the hunting type stores. I dont think the exact size matters, and long as they are relativly small shot. Its the same stuff they use in shotguns, so your gun stores might be the way to go too. I am having a hard time finding the stuff local here in Jersey as well. not many gun/hunting shops around here

wingnut4772
06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
They came today.

It looks like I will have a set of Polk LSis for sale.:D :(

Oh My word! These sound so good in my house and they are not even broken in! I got almost everything today except for the surrounds. I have them bi-wired using Cobalt Cable Ultimate speaker cables (2 pairs) and they just sound so great. I am glad that I got the center too because it actually sounds terrific with them in my room. (Those Cobalt Cables are really excellent.)

The very first thing I noticed after I hooked them up was the soundstage. It's phenominal. I did not think my room could do it but everything sounds so spacious now.

The bass is off the chain. I have my pre crossed at 40 and everything sounds really tight and powerful. They integrate very well with my SVS PB12 Ultra/2 subwoofer.

Thay actually have that 'live' feel...as if the performer is actually there in the room. Just awesome. The Earthquake amp seems to be well mated to them as well.

I love my Polks so this is really bittersweet but I have to call it like it is. There is just no comparison. I will still have my LC80i in ceilings.....:o

Highly recommended.

W WALDECKER
06-01-2006, 04:42 PM
They came today.

It looks like I will have a set of Polk LSis for sale.:D :(

Oh My word! These sound so good in my house and they are not even broken in! I got almost everything today except for the surrounds. I have them bi-wired using Cobalt Cable Ultimate speaker cables (2 pairs) and they just sound so great. I am glad that I got the center too because it actually sounds terrific with them in my room. (Those Cobalt Cables are really excellent.)

The very first thing I noticed after I hooked them up was the soundstage. It's phenominal. I did not think my room could do it but everything sounds so spacious now.

The bass is off the chain. I have my pre crossed at 40 and everything sounds really tight and powerful. They integrate very well with my SVS PB12 Ultra/2 subwoofer.

Thay actually have that 'live' feel...as if the performer is actually there in the room. Just awesome. The Earthquake amp seems to be well mated to them as well.

I love my Polks so this is really bittersweet but I have to call it like it is. There is just no comparison. I will still have my LC80i in ceilings.....:o

Highly recommended.Very good to hear that they sound as good as they look! congradulations Darla. thanks...WCW III

SCompRacer
06-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Congrats Darla! No apologies needed. Enjoy!

wingnut4772
06-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks! I can't wait to integrate the surrounds tomorrow.

cfrizz
06-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Congrats Darla!

halo
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Very cool :cool: I completely agree with your remark about bass response. Njoy! :D

Schris22
06-01-2006, 06:13 PM
enjoy enjoy!

Chris

Early B.
06-01-2006, 06:55 PM
That's the response I expected!!!!

Congrats.

Where are the pics???

Ricardo
06-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Wow Darla....only a while ago you were considering selling your gear for other reasons....see how things change for good?????

Congrats!!!!

Midnite Mick
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Congrats. It is great to be thrilled with a purchase. If you are impressed with your current setup now wait until you get a designated 2 channel preamp. I have the same pre pro as you and it does sound very good for a pre pro. However, there is no comparison once I added a 2 channel pre. The sound is so much fuller, thicker, and more dynamic. But I would recommend trying several pres if you can. Man I wish I could hear what you have. I am happy for you.

Mike

wingnut4772
06-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Wow Darla....only a while ago you were considering selling your gear for other reasons....see how things change for good?????

Thanks. Things are pretty good now all around:D

wingnut4772
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
If you are impressed with your current setup now wait until you get a designated 2 channel preamp. I have the same pre pro as you and it does sound very good for a pre pro. However, there is no comparison once I added a 2 channel pre.

Midnite Mick,

I think I need to give the budget a rest for a while but.....why does a dedicated stereo amp sound better you think? Are you happy with the Sherwood for movies? I love it and think it's an excellent piece. It's the only thing I have been consistently content with.

tonyb
06-02-2006, 07:43 AM
VERY NICE!! Makes you want to stay at home,right?Enjoy!:D

Midnite Mick
06-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Multichannel processor have a lot of things going on that degrade the signal. Some of the very expensive processors actually have seperate 2 channel within the unit (Bryston SP2 I think, and maybe Anthem D2, not sure). I don't know about yourself buy I never noticed any difference between the regular 2 channel stereo and the bypass mode on the Sherwood.

As far as for movies I really have not heard many processors so I cannot compare. I think the primary reason I purchased the Sherwood at the time was because it did still sound good in 2 channel stereo, while still being an entry level unit cost wise. Having said that the 2 channel preamp really took it to whole other level. Maybe you could borrow a good one from somebody you know. It really is a big improvement.

I know that for myself I have a little bit of tweeking to do and then it will be time for a true HiFi speaker. Not to disrespect the Lsi15's, they are a very solid speaker, but not really hifi. Probably will make great rears!

I am sure that you will purchase another piece sometime in the future. Given what you have I just feel that it is the next logical thing down the road. Enjoy!

Mike

wingnut4772
06-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I have compared the P-965 to an Outlaw 950 and an Onkyo 701 in my set up and it blows them away..other than that, I don't know.

Midnite Mick
06-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I believe Sherwood actually make a lot of other "manufacturers" processors. The knew Boston Accoustics seems almost identical (significantly more pricey). I have also been told by my dealer that they also make the Outlaw. Don't know this for sure however. Therefore, they must do something right.

I am looking forward to the new firmware upgrade that is supposed to have mutichannel crossover settings.

Mike

wingnut4772
06-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I got the surrounds today:) . I got everything hooked up and calibrated and I have to say they are are voice matched almost perfectly. They flow together so much more seemlessly than before and I have them all at the same distances etc. as I did the Polks.

The best thing is that the sound belies my 12 foot wide room. Everything just sounds so spacious and involving. I feel like I have a much bigger room.

Now I am just waiting on the lead shot to arrive.

Working on pics....:p

Early B.
06-02-2006, 10:39 PM
The best thing is that the sound belies my 12 foot wide room. Everything just sounds so spacious and involving. I feel like I have a much bigger room.

Only 12 ft. wide? How deep is your room?

wingnut4772
06-03-2006, 12:01 AM
42 feet!

Musophile
06-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Lol....you live in a tube. :p That's very cool though. At least you didn't blow out a driver like I did. :(

Early B.
06-03-2006, 07:24 AM
42 feet!

Damn. That's one helluva runway.

What's the next purchase on the agenda?

del44
06-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Need some pics with the grills off. :D

wingnut4772
06-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I know it's a loooong room. The pics of the room are in my signature but I am still working on the new pics with the VS.

What's the next purchase on the agenda?

THis is it until the HD DVD thing settles down. Then I will get a player and a pre that can handle the audio via HDMI but that will be a long way off.

cfrizz
06-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Congrats Darla. Hurry up with those pictures!!!!

wingnut4772
06-03-2006, 12:14 PM
I just finished playing some scenes from War of the Worlds with these babies. Damn! Let me tell you the panning and soundfield are so flawless. Before, I could say that sound is coming from that speaker and that sound that one etc. Now it just sounds like one big continuous bubble of sound. The speakers almost disappear.

On Revenge of the Sith- in the opening scene- one of the fighters enters the battle from just behind and over the right shoulder. With the old set up there was a gap from the over the shoulder part to the front soundstage. Now it seems as though I am actually getting the sound the entire way..as though the ship is really flying through my living room. This of course elicited shouts of joy!:D :D

Also DTS sounds SO much better than Dolby. Before I would've said 'Yes I believe DTS is the better of the two but changing back and forth from the two on WOTW is no contest. The bass integrates better and everything is much clearer and smoother. I imagine when the whole HD audio thing gets into gear that will be nirvana.

Ok ...less typing and more listening;)

wingnut4772
06-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Pictures are updated in my signature. For some reason I am having a little focus issue with my Sony but they are ok. Thanks:)

del44
06-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Very nice. They have that Wilson Watt/Puppy look. Me likey likey. But, my God, that sub is friggin HUGE.:eek:

tonyb
06-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Looking very,very nice!Glad to see your enjoying!
This frickin hobby is great!!:)

SCompRacer
06-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Very nice.

Darla, where's the aminal (deliberate misspellin') critter statues that used to be under the TV? I always though that was a nice placement.

wingnut4772
06-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Oh those...Thanks. We got a new puppy and she likes to chew things so some stuff had to be temporarily moved.:p

wingnut4772
06-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Just for reference I added before pics of the HT room to my signature.

Early B.
06-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Nice pics.

Wing -- have you considered switching the left speaker with the audio rack and the right speaker with the SVS? By doing so, the Vonnies might give you a little more soundstage. If that's not possible, have you experimented with toe-in?

wingnut4772
06-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I have experimented with toe in and they are slightly towed in. I tried that with the Polks (moving them) and the soundstage actually shrank. Maybe it would be different with the VS but I'm pretty happy as it is....maybe I will try it just to see but isn't it better that thery are farther apart rather than closer together?

Zero
06-05-2006, 03:30 PM
The VR4JR's are pretty cool speakers. I'm not surprised by the results one iota. Congrats and enjoy.

wingnut4772
06-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I ordered a second LCR15 today. Gonna try a 2 center set up!:D

heiney9
06-06-2006, 09:40 PM
You've got the disease/addiction. I call it audio crack:p . Nice looking set-up. I like the look of VR-4's better than the Lsi's. What did you do with your Lsi's?

H9

wingnut4772
06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
I have them on Ebay. I would like to keep them for a second system but I have to defray my VS expense a bit.

I forgot to add that I also loaded each speaker with 50lbs lead shot yesterday.

Joey_V
06-22-2006, 04:52 PM
So... how goes the Vons? Now, we have 2 new Von converts in this forum... you guys are beginning to flee the Polky scene!

More pics are necessary! Just because my ears didnt get along with the 4jrs, doesnt mean I dont dig the way they look.

Oh, and new follow-up review is required on your next post.

And yes, I am a bully.

Joey_V
06-22-2006, 04:53 PM
DP... oopsie.

halo
06-22-2006, 07:40 PM
...you guys are beginning to flee the Polky scene!Look whose talking! :mad: Mr. Martin Logan :p I still have Polk in my HT :D
Just because my ears didnt get along with the 4jrs, doesnt mean I dont dig the way they look.Are you jealous? :rolleyes: :p
And yes, I am a bully.I'm not mean. You're just a sissy!

VR3
06-22-2006, 07:45 PM
My God!

Those have gotta be some of the best looking speakers Ive ever seen. VERY awesome looking cabinets...

Would love to hear them.

Joey_V
06-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Look whose talking! :mad: Mr. Martin Logan :p I still have Polk in my HT :D Are you jealous? :rolleyes: :p You're just a sissy!

Kelso's voice, "AHH!"

LOL...

Hey, we should have a little speaker get-together! Haul those VR2s and some polks over to my place someday..

JOey

wingnut4772
06-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks:D I am still loving the Vons. They seem to me to be just as great but I have to admit that I have not been breaking them in scientifically. Just doing regular listening. They are a great looking speaker though and they sound terrific. I am convinced that anyone who has heard them and not liked them has either not heard them broken in or set up properly.

VR3
06-22-2006, 09:41 PM
How do you have them set up?

With that ambience tweeter in the back, I hope you have them far away from the rear and side walls...

audiobliss
06-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Those have gotta be some of the best looking speakers Ive ever seen. VERY awesome looking cabinets...

Would love to hear them.
My thoughts, exactly, on both counts.

Joey_V
06-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I am convinced that anyone who has heard them and not liked them has either not heard them broken in or set up properly.

;) :D :p

I'll give them another shot...

halo
06-22-2006, 11:41 PM
;) :D :p

I'll give them another shot...Wise, you are. Rewarded, you will be. ;)

Joey_V
06-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Wise, you are. Rewarded, you will be. ;)

I'd like to hear YOUR VR2s if possible, sir!

halo
06-23-2006, 12:10 AM
I thought you were gonna give the VR-4jr's another chance. :confused:

When the time is right I'll extend an invitation to you bro. ;) Several stars / planets need to align before it happens though. :rolleyes:

Joey_V
06-23-2006, 02:21 AM
I thought you were gonna give the VR-4jr's another chance. :confused:

When the time is right I'll extend an invitation to you bro. ;) Several stars / planets need to align before it happens though. :rolleyes:

Oh I will... I'll head out to Decibel again and listen to their setup.

Let me know when the time is right.... I'm in the middle of getting my gear in place at my new apartment so I'm also out of commission for a little while also.

:)

wingnut4772
06-23-2006, 09:33 PM
I have the ambience tweeter set relatively low at 3and it sounds great. My speakers are not that far from the wall but even when I demoed them in a large room I preferred the rear tweeter set a little low.