I like to split the hairs, sand and all! Surf's up!!:twisted:
Hey Carl! On the way for my next Lenco project, a stealth PTP5 top plate.:cheesygrin: These require less material be cut out of the plinth compared to the OEM stamped pan.
So where to go from here....
Maybe a PTP5 top plate Lenco on Maple.... Less material is cut out of the plinth with the PTP5 compared to the OEM stamped steel pan.
Rich, I'm with FGTV....not only are you a master builder, your photography skills ain't too shabby. You framed a deep gloss shiny and reflective surface on that plinth that makes one drool. I hope the Lenco sounds as deep as the piano black is. How does it compare to the Nottingham in terms of space and time?
James T. Kirk
Unbelievable! It's a piece of art!
Thanks Carl! It is functional art too!:cheesygrin:
Finally got my Midas aluminum body for the Denon 103R! (Only one!, this is a group picture). Came on a slow boat from Hong Kong from one of the Lenco Heaven members. You and Larry wish me luck getting the plastic body off!
SComp, maybe i'm wrong here but it looks to me like a block of aluminum with a couple of tapped holes. Why wait for a slow boat ? Just wondering what special about those blocks.
Chumlie, you are correct, thats all it is. The threaded body means not having to use the small nuts to hold the cartridge to the arm; just short screws. This is one of them improvement tweaks, provided you don?t harm the cartridge while removing the glued on plastic body. It takes a great performing, inexpensive cartridge to a higher level.
The aluminum body is heavier and adds mass. The added mass is said to improve broad-band resonance suppression compared to the light plastic body it is supplied in thus enhancing the sound. It also slightly improves (raises) cartridge compliance to the tonearm. Wood bodies in various hardwoods are also available, heavier than the plastic body but lighter than the aluminum one. It took a month for it to get here from the guy who makes these in Hong Kong hence the slow boat comment. There are other suppliers of aluminum bodies.
Carl and Larry have modded their Denon cartridges and urged me to go for it. They used ISOkinetik bodies IIRC.
The process: You can just use a press fit or 'pot' them with some epoxy.
He offers the body with square or rounded corners. I liked the rounded corners.
I like the look Rich! I'm sure you'll come through the cartridge surgery just fine:cheesygrin: I am anxious to hear what you impressions are of the changes the aluminum body does for the Denon. No two ears are alike!
Mr. Rich, you are taking this audio thing seriously :smile: Can't wait to hear it.
I agree the round corners give it a more refined look. A steady hand and excellent light will lead to a successful "plastic shellectomy" and transplant. Look forward to the review.
Maileq l'ordure thai escroc a ?t? rapport
Я надеюсь, что означает кое-что хорошее.... (I hope that means something nice...)
I must have the Midas touch! Stylus still on, cantilever straight and both channels play! Will do some listening tamale, it is movie time.
Carl, until I get a heavier counterweight made for my MG-1 tonearm to compensate for the Midas aluminum body, this works. A roll of putty with one link from a small chain.:cheesygrin:
One demerit for that kludge of a fix. Unless it's a 24K gold chain link, in which case you get one bonus point. :razz:
Got a measurement of the weight of the new cartridge assembly?
Looks like Mr. Bill got tangled up in the gears of that contraption.
I got tired of the large black plinth on my Lenco turntable so I decided to add a maple wrap to match the arm boards. Thanks to Aaron (ALL212) and his brother Craig with a well equipped wood shop for making and supplying the strips and walnut accents. This maple started out as a tree on one of the family members property, was cut down, aged and cut into boards. Kewl! Wood finish is clear satin poly over the bare maple.
Thanks again Aaron and Craig!
Rich, looks awesome as always. Where did you get the plexi cover for your TT from?
Thanks Dan! The one in the basement picture was supplied with my Gingko isolation stand. It sits on a 45 degree bevel on the isolation base. It is designed for a pivoted arm with cutout at right rear. I didn't want to cut it up to clear the linear arm. The larger one upstairs that fits around the isolation base I had made by a local acrylic shop. I just did some internet searches for acrylic shops in the Chicago area and found one 30 minutes away. I supplied them with a simple Paint drawing with dimensions. IIRC it cost me $150. Very reasonable compared to online suppliers and shipping expense. Had estimates from $250 on up plus shipping.
I did cut some extra clearance on the new cover using a fluted acrylic bit in a router. Does a nice job but you gotta ensure the work is clamped down with a secure straight edge to run the router against. Otherwise you get a freestyle art cut....lol
Well, it sounded good and looked good before and now it looks even better!
Can't wait to get my ears on it again!