I'm installing Larry's Rings into my SRS 2's and I've run into 2 problems.
1. The inside bracing is right below the top driver holes and I have no way of altering the rings to make them fit.
2. The leads on the drivers are REALLY tight. What do you guys use to remove the leads but when you install the drivers again leves them tight.
Problem #1 has been solved. I found a small set at Home Depot that will do the job. Problem #2 is going to involve buying a Dremel I guess! :cheesygrin:
Now I guess I have to decide which one to get. Here are pics. I don't know if tou can tell from the pictures but the cabinet bracing comes up FLUSH to the bottom of the top driver holes.
Attachment 83591Attachment 83592
well it is not unusual on my SDA1 I had a center brace that was the same way. You'll need to trim the rings off right below the threaded insert. I would drill the holes and push the ring in from the front to get a good idea of how much to trim off. You may be able to do it with a fine blade and a hack saw.
just my .02
The 3.1TL's are a PITA to install rings into. What you need to do is trim the extra materiel off the ring so it fits. The rings do not have to be perfectly untouched to work as designed...
A dremel... side cutters, whatever floats your boat. Start measuring and trimming little at a time.
I JUST finished the first speaker...sorta. You see, I went to Lowes and picked up a Dremel and went grocery shopping with the little lady. We got back to the house around 6. I got the steel cut and started installing the rings and drivers. Then I realized that I had not drilled out the tweeters. I looked around but could not find my tweeter guide but I figured, what the hell. So I free handed the top one, PERFECT! Feeling pretty good about myself I started drilling for the bottom one with the bottom left side. Then I went to the top left and realized MOTHERF*****!!!! that brace that made me have to cut the top two midwoofer rings is DIRECTLY BEHIND the top two holes of the bottom tweeter. So, I had a few wooden dowels laying around that I thought were the right size. I inserted them in the holes and let the glue set up for an hour. I start gluing the bottom tweet in and the dowels went right through. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow and get some more dowels and insert them in the holes and let the glue set all day and see if I can get them to stay. In the mean time, these are the pics I remembered to take.
Attachment 83627Attachment 83629
II just wanted to give an update. The left speaker is finished. I haven't had MUCH time to listen to them, however you don't need much time to realize the improvements this mod makes to these speakers. The bass is more taught and nimble and the music itself is much more coherent. I won't have a day off for the next 26 days so it will be a while before I can get the right side done. I do know it won't take me as long because now I know what I'm doing and have more confidence in myself.
Oh and one other thing that I didn't expect, the highs a little less harsh. Yes, these are sl2000's but I don't know why but they're less in your face.