New Setup Questions??
I got my new Onkyo A/V receiver and have set it up, but have some questions concerning the setup of the rest of my equipment. You can see in my signature what I still have coming. Right now the receiver is hooked up to my old Sony speakers and sub.
1) Being I will be using a 5.1 system now where do I wire my FXi3 speakers. Will it be the surround back or just the surround ? I just watched a movie and never did hear anything from my surround speakers.
2) If anyone else has a Onkyo receiver what is the best audio setting for the best sounding DD output. It seems like the dialog is coming out of all of the front speakers instead of just the center speaker on the DD setting.
3) How would it work if I kept my 2 Sony surround speakers to make up a 7.1 system?
1) fxi3 as the surround L/R speakers
2) I use PLIIx Movie. You should also run the auto-setup with the microphone to get a start on balancing the speaker outputs.
3) depends how they sound, give it a try and see.
I did check and I had the surrounds wired as the surrounds back and the book says to wire them as just the surrounds for 5.1. When I get the FXi3's I will redo them as backs and see how they work.
I did do the auto-setup with the microphone.
Now here is another question. I set everything up as THX. Is this correct for the crossover?
Reuben, with a 5.1 setup, place the fxi3's to the sides of the room in dipole mode (i use bipole mode for 7.1).
Make sure the speakers are NOT hooked up to the rear surround speaker terminals on your receive.
You can try the Sony's as rear surrounds if you want for the sake of 7.1 experimentation- but I wouldn't. Timbre matching will be off- and a poorly setup 7.1 system sounds inferior to a good 5.1.