Does anyone have any experience trying to reshape a tweeter that's been mashed in? It's on one of a pair of RT25i's that I had just purchased that got damaged in a move. I've reluctantly tried the vacuum trick, but it still refuses to go all the way back to it's original shape. I'm going to file a claim with the moving company anyway, but have serious doubts that I'll get anything close to what it'll take to replace it. So, I'll most likely go it alone.
Can I just replace just the one tweeter without having to worry about 'matching' it to the other? Or, is the tweet still mostly functional and I shouldn't worry about replacing it at all. I've not yet had a chance to sit down and listen to them, so I don't know if it's sonically different. But, it does look like crap :(
If the moving company doesn't come through, you can just replace the one. No problem there. Sometime they can be "dented" and still sound fine? Test it out and see if you here a difference!
As a last resort, try a VERY lightly applied peice of masking tape, and GENTLY pull it back out....I've done this on dust caps before, never a tweeter....
Never fear, you can get a replacement from Polk of need be....
You could hire a hooker. Give her 10 bucks for ten minutes on your tweet. She'll have it back to normal in no time..not to mention polished. :rolleyes:
I would call Polk and order a new one,
they are extremely good in replacement parts.
Like Russ said tape might pull it out, I have taken a straight pin and carefully poked it in a softdome tweeter fabric and carefully worked out a dent, not sure how the material of the RTi series would do? As other said, Polk will take care of getting a replacement for cheap.
On a similar note.....
I inherited a set of Advent Baby Legacy II's.
One of the dust caps in the center of the bass driver was
pushed in big time.
I took a sewing pin, bent it 90 degrees in the middle,
and stuck it in the dust cap.
A little pull and the sucker popped back out.
I can hardly tell it was once pushed in badly (looked absolutely
Now, don't go trying this with your tweets.
But, for a dented dust cap, it did the job nicely.
Thanks all for the helpful hints. I did actually try the tape method as well. It worked a little better than the vacuum, but appears to have slightly discolored the dome. Surprisingly, the remaining dents are almost gone now that some time has passed. Three small pea sized dents remain. Hard to believe considering how mashed in it was. I'm still checking on pricing info from Polk and may still order the replacement.