Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default Oppo Blu-Ray? and or Sony S570

I've been considering getting Oppo's new(ish) B-83(??) Specs sound pretty good (and most folks here seem to like...), but what's the deal with internet connectivity - can you download from Netflix, amazon, pandora etc? and if so, can you do so wirelessly...

I'm also looking at Sony's S-570 Primarily cuz it also does SACD and am curious how sound quality compares.

ALSO... a personal fetish: Any comments on the interface for either of these units.
    LR Setup:
    Polk RTi10's, RTi6's, CSiA6 (5 ch setup)
    Onkyo 705 & Denon 3808ci Receiver, Onk 875
    Parasound 2250 Amp
    Sony 26" KDL series Bravia LCD
    Panny DMR-EH75 Recorder
    Panny DVD-F87 (5 disk DVD player)
    NAD T585 (DVD/SACD)
    Yamaha DVD-C961 (5 disk SACD/DVD)
    SciAnt Explorer 8500HD Cable Box
    Orig & 5Gen iPods, , Wii

------------
    Plans/Fantasies:
    400 disk player that handles ALL formats, sounds as good as NAD with Panasonic interface & compatability.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

If you don't want DVD AUDIO then go with the Sony. It's a more complete Blu ray player for your needs. Oppo does no streaming which I don't like about it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by xandra View Post
    I've been considering getting Oppo's new(ish) B-83(??) Specs sound pretty good (and most folks here seem to like...), but what's the deal with internet connectivity - can you download from Netflix, amazon, pandora etc? and if so, can you do so wirelessly...

I'm also looking at Sony's S-570 Primarily cuz it also does SACD and am curious how sound quality compares.

ALSO... a personal fetish: Any comments on the interface for either of these units.
    As an engineer with a pet-peev for good user interfaces....the Oppo has a good gui for basic and advanced setup...as if they actually considered 'real users...I like it....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Are you sure the Sony does SACD ?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (9)

id go sony

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I don't know why people want Netflix and online streaming. The picture quality on streaming movies is not good at all compared to a bluray disc, Streaming Netflicks HD is usually worse than DVD quality, and sometimes a little better than DVD depending on the show but its never anywhere near BD quality or even HD cable quality. The problem with streaming online videos is the bandwidth allotted to carry both audio and video presentations. There isn't enough of it yet, and compression runs ramped in the video and audio. The end result is a video and audio presentation with a significantly less bit rate than that found on a disc.

The HD rentals through Amazon On Demand look much better, I haven't rented a movie, but the preview looks consistent with broadcast HD.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    I don't think it does.

Personally, if I were in the market for a new blu-ray player I'd go with the Oppo. No desire to stream content, kinda defeats the purpose of a HD media player, IMO. The Oppo's a tried and true universal and I've heard a lot of good things about the BD-83. Just my .02

I don't know why people want Netflix and online streaming...
    Generally speaking, it's not for me either. the Netflix is for a close friend who (I'm also looking for a unit for her), as for streaming in general, its basically for moments of desperation. (ex: I wanted to see Hurt Locker before Academy awards, when REALLY bored, utube's more fun hanging out on couch...
    So, I do think streaming can be fun. It's just a different function than serious music listening or movie watching.

Glad someone piped in about amazon having better quality (since I've tried neither)

According to Crutchfield It does (including multichannel) but I'll double check on Sony's website, since that's a dealbreaker for me.

Does anyone have any comments re interface? Sound Quality? Vid Quality differences?
    LR Setup:
    Polk RTi10's, RTi6's, CSiA6 (5 ch setup)
    Onkyo 705 & Denon 3808ci Receiver, Onk 875
    Parasound 2250 Amp
    Sony 26" KDL series Bravia LCD
    Panny DMR-EH75 Recorder
    Panny DVD-F87 (5 disk DVD player)
    NAD T585 (DVD/SACD)
    Yamaha DVD-C961 (5 disk SACD/DVD)
    SciAnt Explorer 8500HD Cable Box
    Orig & 5Gen iPods, , Wii

------------
    Plans/Fantasies:
    400 disk player that handles ALL formats, sounds as good as NAD with Panasonic interface & compatability.

Does anyone have any comments re interface? Sound Quality? Vid Quality differences?
    I have the Oppo 83, very good player, but really only for dvd upconverstion as pretty much all bluray players on the market all look amazing on bluray equally. There really isn't any difference between bluray players for bd PQ. But DVD upconversation is more noticeable. The Oppo and Pioneer bd players have excellent upconversation for dvd's. If you watch just bluray movies today than it doesn't matter. The Oppo or Pioneer bdp-320 are excellent.

As I figured out more features on my Oppo player and it's functions and how my Pioneer Kuro plasma works I realized that if you have a top of the line tv like the Pio Elite Kuro's or Samsung's top LED that the bd player doesn't really matter if you use 'Source Direct' on the player and pass the native content from the bluray disc to the tv and let the tv's processors to the processing.

For example: I have the Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-151FD plasma and it has a special 'Advance Mode' that detects a 1080p/24 signal and automatically upconverts it to 1080p/72 with it's processors and gives it an amazing authentic cinema look to it and it's the closest you can get to 3D without it being 3D. So I set my Oppo to 'Source Direct' and let my tv do the processing and I like the look of the Pio Kuro's processing over the Oppo's. I would be very equally happy with a Pioneer bdp-320 from Walmart for $120 bucks that has equal PQ for bluray as the Oppo and equal PQ for dvd and just use it's 'Source Direct' feature and let my Pio Kuro do all the work.

So the moral of the story is if you have a top of the line plasma or LED and only watch bluray movies then it doesn't matter what bluray player you get between a $500 Oppo or $120 Pio 320. Load times mean nothing to me whether I have to wait for the player to load a disc for 20 seconds or 40 seconds. I would get the Pioneer bdp-320 if I were you and save around $350 bucks.

They list the price of the Pio 320 as $399 but you can get it at Walmart today for around $120.

http://hometheatermag.com/discplayer...lu-ray_player/

according to cnet and amazon it does play SACDs, which makes sense since that is sony's format...
    HT Rig:
    Mains, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling
    Center - Polk cs400i
    Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling
    Sub - SVS PB10-ISD
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-1018ah-k
    Server - Logitech Squeezebox Duet
    Blu-ray - Sony BDP-S390
    DVR - DirecTV Genie + AM21
    Display - Samsung PN43E450 Plasma

Two Channel PC Rig (In progress)
    Dell Studio 540s-->Pangea USB Cable-->HRT Music Streamer II DAC-->MIT AVT1-->Dayton DTA 100a-->MIT EXP2-->Polk Monitor 5 w/Peerless

According to Crutchfield It does (including multichannel) but I'll double check on Sony's website, since that's a dealbreaker for me.

I got a Sony S370 directly off one of Sony's "reverse auctions" for $160 shipped and the new X70 series all play SACDs. However, no multi-channel analog outputs. Haven't opened mine up yet, so can't tell you about sound/video quality, etc. Wasn't there a previous thread on Blu-ray player under $300.00? There was an report on the S370 there.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

here are my thoughts:

1 - Just to clear it up, the x70 series from Sony all have SACD playback. The SACD playback (as well as BD playback and the analog stage) is identical between all 3 players, and is about what you'd expect on a $170 platform. You only get the 'true' SACD playback via the HDMI out, the 2 channel analog out give you the converted sacd channel, which is still good IMO but not the pure dsd.

2 - In that Sony line, you start with the S370, which is what I have. The X470 gets you 3D future compatibility, and the S570 gets you wireless and a couple other features that I don't recall but wasn't interested in at the time.

For a 'true' Blu Ray and SACD player, the Oppo is the better choice. For a better 'universal' player, the Sony is a better choice because of the features that it has which the Oppo simply lacks. There are a few categories that I'd look at in terms of deciding what you want:

BD Playback - In terms of BD playback over HDMO, the two players are much closer than you think, and honestly on my 57" screen it's very difficult to detect a difference.

DVD upconversion - The Oppo is MUCH better in this respect, it's really an insult to the Oppo to compare it to the Sony. The Sony is OK, but not worthy of comparison with the Oppo, and in fact there are even players in it's own price range that do better.

SACD Playback - It's hard to compare these for me since I can't do audio over HDMI (due to having a display that is DVI only in the chain). So all I can compare is on the analog output. Thee Sony only has 2 channel analog out, and in comparing stereo SACD playback on the two players via the analog outputs, the Oppo easily outperforms the Sony.

Analog Outputs / DACs - Once again, another category in which the two players should not be compared, the Oppo has MUCH better analog outputs than the Sony. They're part of the reason to buy the Oppo, and an afterthought on the Sony.

Online Streaming - The Sony is the clear winner here, since the Oppo has no capability here. The Sony has Netflix, Amazon, and a whole bunch of other stuff that i never use. The Sony also has DLNA support forthcoming, which means you can also stream media from a PC, a HUGE benefit for me.

Bottom line, if you're a purist and want the best possible picture and sound over an analog connection, go with the Oppo. If you want picture and sound over HDMI that's 'good enough' and want all the streaming stuff, go with the Sony.

Ultimately I decided that the Sony was 'good enough' for me and decided to keep it and sell the Oppo to a friend here at work.

Here's another thread with some good info:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99212

And here's a post that I dropped in that thread with some other insight:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...9&postcount=32

Good Luck
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Thumbs up

That's a very informative post, Danny
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Very good comparisons post Assimilated. Oppo's foundation to be a solid universal player foundation is well known for. And I think if you ask those people who specializes in modding CDP (to improve upon its analog stage for its audio) for a living, the answer would be unanimously leaning towards Oppo on this one. And I think it would not be a blind opinion, since Sony 777ES CDP was their horses before. But, for strictly BD player, I think it would be a toss.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Yes, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I didn't know that Sony had added so many 'universal' features to their dedicated players. Oppo still sounds like a quality player if you have the coin and don't need the PC connectivity or amazon/netflix. Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    here are my thoughts:

1 - ....You only get the 'true' SACD playback via the HDMI out, the 2 channel analog out give you the converted sacd channel, which is still good IMO but not the pure dsd.
    AsSiMiLaTeD....so you're saying that the S370 does a DSD>>>PCM conversion when SACD is being output using analog? The Oppo BDP-80 does such a conversion and I was hoping Sony wouldn't. After ordering the Sony, I was thinking about how, in the long run, the Oppo may have been a better choice given its analog multi-channel outputs, HDCD and DVD-A decoding, and possible improvement in DVD upconversion (considering I'm still using a 27" tube Panasonic TV with component inputs). I'm still thinking maybe I should return the Sony for the Oppo.

Quote Originally Posted by DMara View Post
    That's a very informative post, Danny
    You should thank AsSiMiLaTeD :D
    Last edited by Danny Tse; 04-19-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Just an FYI, Sony added Pandora to the three models last week in a firmware update.
    Larry

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Tse View Post
    AsSiMiLaTeD....so you're saying that the S370 does a DSD>>>PCM conversion when SACD is being output using analog? The Oppo BDP-80 does such a conversion and I was hoping Sony wouldn't. After ordering the Sony, I was thinking about how, in the long run, the Oppo may have been a better choice given its analog multi-channel outputs, HDCD and DVD-A decoding, and possible improvement in DVD upconversion (considering I'm still using a 27" tube Panasonic TV with component inputs). I'm still thinking maybe I should return the Sony for the Oppo.
    Yes, there's a setting for the pure DSD output, but it only works over the HDMI cable, when that's enabled you get nothing from the analog stage.

One thing I will note is that you're looking at the BD-80, and my comparisons were to the 83. The 83 is known to have better upconversion and a better analog stage, so my comparison results may either not apply at all or at the very least the gap between the players is going to be smaller, particularly with regards to those two features.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Yes, there's a setting for the pure DSD output, but it only works over the HDMI cable, when that's enabled you get nothing from the analog stage.

One thing I will note is that you're looking at the BD-80, and my comparisons were to the 83. The 83 is known to have better upconversion and a better analog stage, so my comparison results may either not apply at all or at the very least the gap between the players is going to be smaller, particularly with regards to those two features.
    Thanks for the information, AsSiMiLaTeD. One thing that kept me from getting the Oppo 80 is the standard version of the 83. If I am going to commit $300.00 for the 80, might as well go "all the way" (for me anyway) with the 83.

gee guys (esp AsSiMiLaTeD & digVid...) thanks for first rate input.

Interestingly, I checked Sony's website and oddly they don't even mention SACD

Thread Information