Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 96
  1. #61

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,245

    Default

    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Specs mean s***
    Thats right huh !! so if we didn't have specs how would we know which speaker to choose, amp to choose for power needs, Don't say such an ignorant statement!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2


    2 Channel Rig:

    nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

  2. #62

    Member Sales Rating: (27)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    20,970

    Default

    Specs Mean Sh**. You saw those true power ratings the other day. Just because the company says 100 dosnt mean its not pushing 30. How do you choose a SPEAKER? yeah you need specs for that, also you go out and hear them! Infinity speakers go down to 60hz, yet it sounds like it only goes down to 80hz! Specs dont mean anything, in reality. Yeah you get to find out the THD, and the Watts. But how do you know their telling the truth??
    Last edited by VR3; 05-26-2003 at 01:15 PM.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

    "No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

  3. #63

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,271

    Default

    Jeez, somebody put this thread in the HOS, PLEASE!!!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  4. #64

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,245

    Default

    why does every dicussion that turns alittle wayside need to go to the HOS?? i done here now, But sheesh they all don't have to go hos bound, I understand it will go on and on, bUT is their a limit to how many pages we can rant or talk?? Just when i get into a talk that's going on, someone say" can this go to HOS, No ofense F1, others have said the same thing in other threads.. I am not mad at anyone nor do i think anyone else is, It's just a talk.. Now if it turns to F this and F that, and your an A-Hole then fine HOS it is,

    So can we just talk on Club polk without it heading off to shame land?? Thanks and i'm done now, The day after sucks and i feel it, No more memorial day picnics for me :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2


    2 Channel Rig:

    nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

  5. #65

    Member Sales Rating: (27)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    20,970

    Default

    No kidding, we sharing our opinions on things......no harm here....we all cool!
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

    "No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

  6. #66

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    12,072

    Default

    Originally posted by faster100
    Thats right huh !! so if we didn't have specs how would we know which speaker to choose, amp to choose for power needs, Don't say such an ignorant statement!!
    For example:

    28 to 25khz, 200 watts max, pic of a basicly straight line from 30 to 22khz, 2way-3way-3 1/2 way etc. What can I do with this information? Will another that says 25 to 27khz sound better? Who knows. If it handles only 125 watts or 300 watts does that mean I will want to use a smaller amp for the 125 watt one? No. Does that mean the 300 watt one will handle higher peaks? No. Even if you go further and say that one speaker is 88 db/w and another is 91 db/w I know only that one is more efficient but not how loud it goes because that is a function of max power rating which is a pure guess anyways. Was that peak watts or rms watts? Did the company change the actual wattage range to show it handles higher peaks or does it crap out the first time you supply twice the power as a peak? Even if it handles the wattage you don't know what the xmax is or what it relates to so you have no idea whether it handles that amount of power gracefully or not.

    In short, as far as I'm concerned ratings for speakers don't mean s#!t.
    madmax

    HOS? I don't think so. Seems we are discussing relatively decent topics here at a mature level??

  7. #67

    Member Sales Rating: (27)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    20,970

    Default

    I agree with MadMax. My KLH's are rated at 89DB. My RT35i's are rated at 90db. The KLH's play 1/4 as loud at the same volume. They also handle 140 watts, where as the 35i handles 125. The KLH is a 3-way, and the Polk is a 2-way. Yet this does not make it better. In specs, the KLH looks very good. Yet it sucks grass. Sony receivers are rated for 100 watts, yet in real life it only pushes 30.......
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

    "No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

  8. #68

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    12,072

    Default

    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    I agree with MadMax.

    Then again, I guess I could be wrong. :D

    madmax

  9. #69

    Member Sales Rating: (27)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    20,970

    Default

    eff you ;)
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

    "No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

  10. #70

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Specs mean sh**
    That's the kind of statement that should get someone's posting rights taken away. If you do nothing other than look at the specs, then ya, you're gonna end up with some inferior product from time to time. I've seen quite a few people actually buy receivers based on these apparently irrelevant specs (and act pretty proud about that only to find that oops.....not entirely what they needed).

    Using the arguement that "how do you know if they're telling you the truth" is mental as well. Ya know, I'm gonna assume that my laptop actually has 512 meg of memory because they told me so. Maybe that makes me some big risk taker......OOOOOOOO.......AAAHHHHHHHHHH.........
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  11. #71

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,245

    Default

    So then why do we have hosre power ratings for new cars, why does the spedo say 120 mph when you can only drive 65 by law?? why why why, becauase people are in need of specs and although they may not help you, or help anyone.. we need a basis in which to start off, i want to know a speaker can handle around 100 -200 watts, or something like that.. So what you propose is it should all be a guessing game and guess how much power we need, and what freq. the sub go's down to?? and so on and so forth, seems moronic to me, Although when i shop for a speaker, car, electronics, i don't first look at specs, but after and before the final purchase i sure do.. Why then with computers everything is 1ghz, 2 ghz, 512 md ram, so on.. becuase you need to know specs for your intended use will be.. simple.. So speaker specs might not mean ****, but they help people who know what they mean, Sometimes.. Thank you, thank you, i'll be here all day, please remember to tip your waitersm you have been great!! and i'm outta here, :) :) :):D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2


    2 Channel Rig:

    nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

  12. #72

    Member Sales Rating: (27)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    20,970

    Default

    Actually Brett, go to
    Start - Assesories(SP? I KNOW ITS WRONG) - System Tools - System Info. There, you can tell if they lied.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

    "No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

  13. #73

    Member Sales Rating: (27)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    20,970

    Default

    Originally posted by faster100
    So then why do we have hosre power ratings for new cars, why does the spedo say 120 mph when you can only drive 65 by law?? why why why, becauase people are in need of specs and although they may not help you, or help anyone.. we need a basis in which to start off, i want to know a speaker can handle around 100 -200 watts, or something like that.. So what you propose is it should all be a guessing game and guess how much power we need, and what freq. the sub go's down to?? and so on and so forth, seems moronic to me, Although when i shop for a speaker, car, electronics, i don't first look at specs, but after and before the final purchase i sure do.. Why then with computers everything is 1ghz, 2 ghz, 512 md ram, so on.. becuase you need to know specs for your intended use will be.. simple.. So speaker specs might not mean ****, but they help people who know what they mean, Sometimes.. Thank you, thank you, i'll be here all day, please remember to tip your waitersm you have been great!! and i'm outta here, :) :) :):D
    Remember, Sony subwoofers - Go down to 20hz. And their speakers........they go to 70khz. You know thats bull crap. Specs or no Specs. Guys this is audio, not computers. Specs are pretty much useless to how a speaker will sound. For a computer, you gotta know what junk is, or you wont know if it will suit your needs. Who was it....I think it was Troy
    Specs are exactly what they say it is, Speculations(SP).
    Last edited by VR3; 05-26-2003 at 03:22 PM.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

    "No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

  14. #74

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    12,072

    Default

    Spec's are ok so long as you totally ignore them.

    There are a few things I've figured out in the past:

    *Two computers with the same clock speed and same memory operate at different speeds.

    *Foreign car horsepower is measured at the engine.

    *American car horsepower is measured at the rear axles which means the figures will be lower given the same hp ratings of foreign cars.

    *50 watts of tube power equals about 300 watts of SS power.

    *The smaller the model of SDA speaker the higher power you need.

    *Some of us need spedometers which will go up to 120 mph. Mine actually goes up to 155.

    madmax

  15. #75

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Just use the specs as a guide and you're ok. Obviously you're not going to (hopefully) purchase something strictly off the specs. They exist to help, not make your mind up for you.

    Oh....and yes, Sid, you're wrong......It's Accessories......but before that, it's Programs......(so START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM INFO) Good job sparky.....but maybe you missed the point. Par for the course though I believe.....

    Max..you can't make comparisons to different things and use that as an arguement to ignore the respective specs. The reason that the two computers with the same processor and memory run differently is because of all the other factors involved, but that doesn't negate the spec perspective of the processors and memory....
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  16. #76

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    12,072

    Default

    Originally posted by brettw22
    Max..you can't make comparisons to different things and use that as an arguement to ignore the respective specs. The reason that the two computers with the same processor and memory run differently is because of all the other factors involved, but that doesn't negate the spec perspective of the processors and memory....
    I have to beat this poor old dead horse one more time.

    I agree but it is exactly why I ignore specs altogether. If you are looking at clock speed then chances are you are considering how fast the computer is. It doesn't tell you that information. Speakers are even worse. If you are looking at efficiency you are looking to see how loud your amps wattage will make it. It doesn't tell you that. If you are looking at power handling you are probably trying to figure out if you have too much or too little amplifier power. It doesn't tell you that either. I can't think of one reasonable thing that any speaker spec tells you.
    madmax

  17. #77

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    11,499

    Default

    Originally posted by madmax001


    *Foreign car horsepower is measured at the engine.

    *American car horsepower is measured at the rear axles which means the figures will be lower given the same hp ratings of foreign cars.

    madmax
    Absolutely incorrect.

    ALL engine manufacturers measure power at the flywheel with an engine dynamometer. Standards are that all HP reported in the US is SAE net horsepower measured at the flywheel per engine dyno testing. If it is European and sold in the US it must be measured and reported this way. Engine manufacturers must base their claims of power upon the standard selected by the country in which the claim is being made. In the US all power claims are measured in SAE net horsepower. Other countries have their own standards bodies which create their own definitions of power. Japan uses JIS and the European Community uses ISO. Each standards body's specification dictates what the designator is to be (e.g hp, BHP, etc...) as well as what must be included in the measurement.

    What you may be thinking is that Europeans typically use BHP ratingings in Europe which are similar to the old SAE gross horsepower measurements in the US. SAE net means all accessories (smog gear, alternator, exhaust, etc...) are hooked up and SAE gross means they are not hooked up and you have basically a bare engine.
    Last edited by shack; 05-26-2003 at 04:25 PM.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

    "Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

  18. #78

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,245

    Default

    spec specs specs, LOL what ever, to each is own
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2


    2 Channel Rig:

    nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC

  19. #79

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Oo wow Brett, i figured you could find your own way to it, I guess I was wrong. Anyhow,

    To each his own, as said above.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC

  20. #80

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    That's why I value independent objective reviews so much. You can't always trust what the manufacturer says.

    Specs are often exaggerated whenever there is any "wiggle room", even within a mandated testing standard.

    Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

    Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Relations
    Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

  21. #81

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    12,072

    Default

    Originally posted by shack
    Absolutely incorrect.

    ALL engine manufacturers measure power at the flywheel with an engine dynamometer. Standards are that all HP reported in the US is SAE net horsepower measured at the flywheel per engine dyno testing. If it is European and sold in the US it must be measured and reported this way. Engine manufacturers must base their claims of power upon the standard selected by the country in which the claim is being made. In the US all power claims are measured in SAE net horsepower. Other countries have their own standards bodies which create their own definitions of power. Japan uses JIS and the European Community uses ISO. Each standards body's specification dictates what the designator is to be (e.g hp, BHP, etc...) as well as what must be included in the measurement.

    What you may be thinking is that Europeans typically use BHP ratingings in Europe which are similar to the old SAE gross horsepower measurements in the US. SAE net means all accessories (smog gear, alternator, exhaust, etc...) are hooked up and SAE gross means they are not hooked up and you have basically a bare engine.

    OK so I looked up a few.

    Jaguar s type 3.0... SAE bhp
    Corvette................ SAE Net HP @ rpm
    Cavalier................. HP/KW @ engine rpm

    I can't tell whether they are the same or not but I'll take your word for it. STILL makes my point about specs a little stronger. :D

    madmax

  22. #82

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    this has been a very....ummm....productive thread....no doubt....
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC

  23. #83

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    Whats up with all the edits? What did I miss? Someone try to play the 'you homo' card?

    Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  24. #84

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    wth r u talkin bout?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC

  25. #85

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Whats up with all the edits? What did I miss? Someone try to play the 'you homo' card?
    Sid....
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  26. #86

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    nvm...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC

  27. #87

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    12,072

    Default

    This is how it goes. I'm at work and supposed to be working. So you know that doesn't happen... So I keep pushin it until I say something incorrect and blow my whole cover. I am corrected and yada yada yada, I reply with the best defense I can. Sid gets acused of a homo statement and we all end up ready to end the thread. Obviously I am right and go to bed happy!...
    madmax :D

  28. #88

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,009

    Default

    Actually Max, Sid was asked to clarify his statement in which he had alluded to it. He chose to ignore that request. I'm not the only one that picked up on it though, just so ya know.
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  29. #89

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    'burb of Detroit
    Posts
    3,042

    Default

    The need for specs; like anything else, is relative.

    I've never read a THD spec that meant anything to me.
    Wattage ratings are usually consistant within a manufacturer.
    Wattage ratings vary between manufacturers.
    If I had a 3.5 watt amp I probably would steer away from speakers rated <90db/@1w
    I'm not going to try to build a sub out of a driver rated 15kHz-35kHz.



    Then again, look at my sig. I guess you're right F*** specs
    Make it Funky! :)

  30. #90

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Originally posted by brettw22
    Actually Max, Sid was asked to clarify his statement in which he had alluded to it. He chose to ignore that request. I'm not the only one that picked up on it though, just so ya know.
    And I shall not answer your request, try again.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts