Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Default Tower of Power SACD is here!

And honestly, I don't know what to think. It isn't really better or worse than the mp3 version. Just... Different. I'm not generally one given to critical listening, so this review will be short, but hopefully reasonably clear.

On the mp3 version, the horns are nice and forward; the sacd version, not so much. Some of the horn detail is lost on the sacd. This is really noticeable on 'Soul with a Capital S,' which is, to me, basically the quintessential tower of power song. That leads to a poor first impression.

On the plus side, the vocals show up much better on the sacd than they do on the mp3 version. This isn't to say that the vocals are done badly on the mp3/cd mix, just that they're done better on the sacd.

Another neat thing about the sacd (at least if you're like me), is the bass. The sacd has a lot of thump to it, which you don't get as much of with the mp3.

An odd observation: the mp3 version is, simply, louder. Not hugely so, but a noticeable difference in volume between the two, when going back and forth with settings remaining the same.

All in all, it's not a bad purchase, as I only had the album on mp3 before, and I now have a physical copy of it. But, if you already have the Soul Vaccination live cd, I would probably pass on it.

Another note, reviews I've read of this sacd were all over the place, so I was expecting the worst. I'm now pleasantly surprised that it's decent, but disappointed that it wasn't done justice in the sacd remastering process.

If anything needs clarified here, let me know. I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

One thing you may want to clarify:

What album are you talking about?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

TOP is probably my favorite studio album of theirs, at least out of anything released since the mid 70s. Most of my favorite songs come off their earlier records, but TOP is solid for the most part.

Live and in Living Color is probably my favorite live album of theirs, the extended sax solo by Lenny Pickett on 'Knock Yourself Out' is great, and it's the first time I ever recall hearing the circular breathing technique that he uses, although I'm sure he wasn't the first to do it.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    One thing you may want to clarify:

What album are you talking about?
    It's ToP Live: Soul Vaccination. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only ToP that has been released to SACD.

TOP would have been a better album to go to SACD, it's a much better recorded album
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

I have TOP Direct Cut Sheffield Lab album. Love the horn section!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Thread Information