Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default Wiring speakers in series?

    Just finished setting up a pair of patio speakers connected to the Zone 2 outputs of the Onkyo, but also want to run another pair of speakers (another Zone) with the same outputs.

    Now I understand that the 8 ohm MIN outputs of the Onkyo will not be too happy with a 4 ohm load (when wired in parallel), so would like to wire the speakers in series.

    1. Will the back-EMF produced by the series connection create distortion in the Onkyo?
    2. Will there be enough gain to drive the now 16-ohm load without running into any problems?

    This is a *temporary* solution until I obtain an amp to drive the Zone 2 along with the Zone 3 speakers. Last, will it make a difference with regards to the load if I connect the speakers like the following:

    LEFT + on AVR --> + on Speaker 1 \\
    LEFT - on AVR --> - on Speaker 2 //

    RIGHT + on AVR --> + on Speaker 1 \\
    RIGHT - on AVR --> - on Speaker 2 //
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,733

    Default

    It'll probably sound like poop.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    The generic problem with wiring speakers in series is that it puts the inductive and capacitative reactance of the first speaker in series with the second one; the net result has already been articulated by Face.
    all the best,
    mrh

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    The generic problem with wiring speakers in series is that it puts the inductive and capacitative reactance of the first speaker in series with the second one; the net result has already been articulated by Face.
    That's what I was looking for.

    They are the same exact speaker though. Although SVS wires their sub drivers in series for some reason??
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    It'll probably sound like poop.
    Does it make a difference if they are identical speakers?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    They are the same exact speaker though. Although SVS wires their sub drivers in series for some reason??
    And I'm sure SVS accounts for this in their design, opposed to what you're doing.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    And I'm sure SVS accounts for this in their design, opposed to what you're doing.
    When I get my amp back (Adcom GFA-535) I'll have another amp to drive the extra zone.

    Right now all the drivers are identical, I know this won't work well if the drivers are different.

    I'll hook them up in parallel then.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Does it make a difference if they are identical speakers?
    Nope. In parallel, the speakers won't really "feel" the other half of the load... but they will in series (this isn't utterly true, but close enough for Government work). Basically you've added a component (the R, L, and C of the first or upstream speaker) in series with the crossover network of the downstream speaker.

    That said, it won't do any harm (the nominal impedance of the two-speaker pair will be doubled relative to a single) to try. It will likely sound like poop, but empiricism (within reason) is a good thing and if you try it, you'll know, rather than speculate, the result.
    all the best,
    mrh

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    BTW - There's a lot of noise in the outdoor area, since it is more of an urban environment. Basically can't hear the sound too well anyways.

    Face: I'll try it both ways. Funny how horn PA drivers (like the kind in a warehouse) don't seem to mind when wired in series.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Also, I have a student version of Orcad's PSpice A/D and Electronics Workbench here.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Nope. In parallel, the speakers won't really "feel" the other half of the load... but they will in series (this isn't utterly true, but close enough for Government work). Basically you've added a component (the R, L, and C of the first or upstream speaker) in series with the crossover network of the downstream speaker.

    That said, it won't do any harm (the nominal impedance of the two-speaker pair will be doubled relative to a single) to try. It will likely sound like poop, but empiricism (within reason) is a good thing and if you try it, you'll know, rather than speculate, the result.
    Okay, this is what I observed:

    1. When wired in series the output was quiet - very quiet, but listenable.
    2. When wired in parallel there was not much change in the sound but much more output than the series connection.

    I'm going to get an amp for the patio speakers, even though all of the speakers are the same.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    When I get my amp back (Adcom GFA-535) I'll have another amp to drive the extra zone.

    Right now all the drivers are identical, I know this won't work well if the drivers are different.

    I'll hook them up in parallel then.
    Temporary cabling your speakers in series will work and will not damage the amp. NEVER IN PARALELL

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    BTW - There's a lot of noise in the outdoor area, since it is more of an urban environment. Basically can't hear the sound too well anyways.

    Face: I'll try it both ways. Funny how horn PA drivers (like the kind in a warehouse) don't seem to mind when wired in series.
    A PA system works differently due to the high ohmique value of the input of an isolation transfo hooked-up to the PA speakers (balanced output through the Xfo).

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Okay, this is what I observed:

    1. When wired in series the output was quiet - very quiet, but listenable.
    2. When wired in parallel there was not much change in the sound but much more output than the series connection.

    I'm going to get an amp for the patio speakers, even though all of the speakers are the same.
    DO NOT hook them up in paralell as it could damage your amp (unless your amp is capable of lower ohmique values as when in paralell ohmique value then becomes 4 ohms)! Also keep in mind that you DON'T want to use A+B together but only one or the other since many amp-receiver will see an ohmique value drop when they are used together (A+B that is)

    If the sound is good (listenable) for you in series it will work until you get your replacement amp without damages (the SQ is affected but if OK for now then why not!).

    Cheers!
    TK

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,974

    Default

    Wiring the speakers in parallel puts a 4 ohm load on the receiver:

    Req = (R1 x R2) / (R1 + R2)
    Req = (8 x 8) / (8 + 8)
    Req = 64 / 16
    Req = 4 ohms

    This seems to work fine as of now as the volume is set very low (these are Zone 2 speakers, after all).

    But I'm going to get an amp that is capable of driving 4 ohm loads.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

    Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 03:13 PM
  2. Series or Parallel wiring?
    By dipiazza in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
  3. Wiring for LSI Series with an AMP
    By mwaarna in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 12:55 AM
  4. Single LSi series wiring
    By okiepolkie in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 08:40 AM
  5. Bi-wiring RT5000 series
    By samplesj in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2003, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts