Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Default I want to try out a Belles 21a Preamp

I think this will be my next toy if one comes around. With the upgraded caps of course...
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Good to know.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Also keep an eye out for the Mapletree Line 2A or 4A. There are a few simple mods for these units to make them sound very good.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Good to know.
    LOL;)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Also keep an eye out for the Mapletree Line 2A or 4A. There are a few simple mods for these units to make them sound very good.
    How do they compare to the Belles? I let one of the 21A's slip through my hands a few weeks ago. The Dodd ELP I have is like candy to a child in my system, this little black box took everything to a new level for me, and I have read nothing but great things about the Belles 21A that I have to try one out. I love the Adcom GFP-750 I have but the Dodd just does something special in my rig.

Lets just say I keep finding myself deeper in the rabbit hole.

I'm not sure which model Belles I heard, but I didn't hear them in the same system either. The Mapletree is a better preamp than the Dodd IMO. It's much quieter and has better extension on both ends.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (47)

If you can find one,,look/listen to a Belles 20a,, it uses 4 12AU7's,,whereas the 21a is a tube hybird design,(2tubes--12AU7), both are very good preamps and if you can find a deal,either one would fit the ticket.I am extremely happy with mine,,very good build quality,,both respond well to tube rolling,especially european or british valves.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Just looked at the website, the prices are not too bad I will keep them in mind.

Thanks Mike!!

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    If you can find one,,look/listen to a Belles 20a,, it uses 4 12AU7's,,whereas the 21a is a tube hybird design,(2tubes--12AU7), both are very good preamps and if you can find a deal,either one would fit the ticket.I am extremely happy with mine,,very good build quality,,both respond well to tube rolling,especially european or british valves.

Do you have the 20A? outside of one having 4 tubes and one having 2 what are the other differences? how many inputs on the 20A?

Other than the number of tubes and topology(21a uses some of the mosfet thingys IIRC0 they are identical,,I think the 20a is a tad smoother but thats just my opinion,, I could live with the 21a for the rest of my life though,, the 20a's are pretty scarce,, I paid 560 for mine,,you usually see one or two on e-bay or A'gon per year.If you can find a 21a for a good price,,get it,, audicapped versions sell for slightly more, But you should be able to find one for a tad shy of 1k--good luck.

here
    http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....um-Tube-Preamp

this one sold for acout 725.00--I almost picked it up==probabally should have
    http://audiosaler.com/belles-20a-all...ge-with-remote
    Last edited by george daniel; 05-04-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Thumbs up Got it coming!!

Well I pulled the trigger on the one that was on audiogon, should have it next week. I will have to get the auricaps for it if I want to do the upgrade.

Question: do I have to use auricaps? Or is this what they recommend? Anybody know?

Thanks..
    Last edited by Toolfan66; 05-07-2010 at 07:28 PM.

I replaced the stock ones in mine with auricaps,, but I've always wondered how it would sound with Mundorf Silver/Oils.

George your words pushed me to get this one, well Bens phone call help as well.:)

What amp/amps are you running with yours?

Thanks.

Right now the Belles is paired with a Quicksilver GLA,, but I'll tell you what,,I have yes to hear a bad pairing of it with any solid state or tuber,,not saying they are not out there,,but the Belles is pretty friendly and will match up well with most amps--after you get it,,call me,,got a few tips that might help you tweak the sound ,,, even in it's "stock" form,,it's a very good pre.Enjoy--I'm sure you'll love it.

Sonic Cap platinums are a nice step up from Auricaps.

Well it should be here Thursday, I will play with it for a few then look at what caps to put in it.

Mike I will still keep the Mapletree in mind.

Well I just hooked her up and giving her a listen. I will say one thing tubes really bring out the sound and envelope you wether it be this unit or the Dodd ELP.This unit has no problem being mated with the 5802. Now I will be on the hunt for some 12AU7's.

Well I guess you can call me a preamp whore now.:)

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Jerry has plenty of good 12au7's. Give him a shout.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Well I just hooked her up and giving her a listen. I will say one thing tubes really bring out the sound and envelope you wether it be this unit or the Dodd ELP.This unit has no problem being mated with the 5802. Now I will be on the hunt for some 12AU7's.

I'm happily jealous:)

Enjoy your new toy.
    Re-electing our politicians would be like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Jerry has plenty of good 12au7's. Give him a shout.
    Ben
    Thanks Ben I will do that.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post

As you know Larry, I run both the 750 and a tube pre depending on my mood, listening session and type of music. Nothing wrong with having the ultimate in flexibility. The 750 is so damn good

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Belles pre amps typically have a "dark" sound,,so if you want to liven it up a tad try this
    http://thetubestore.com/jjecc802sg.html

or any of the Brimars,,especially the 13D5 or for a more laid back touch,,the RCA 12au7 'cleartops",,,,,Amperex BB's are nice in the mids,,, and for proper presentations,,the Mullards will do nicely--have fun.

BTW--the Siemens and Tele's will be precisely accurate as well.

Tubes,, gotta love em'.
    Last edited by george daniel; 05-13-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    As you know Larry, I run both the 750 and a tube pre depending on my mood, listening session and type of music. Nothing wrong with having the ultimate in flexibility. The 750 is so damn good

H9

Yes thanks to you I now know how to hook it up. LOL

it's funny to think that just 2 years ago all I had was a JVC Receiver with no preouts, and I thought I was rockin hard.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Belles pre amps typically have a "dark" sound,,so if you want to liven it up a tad try this
    http://thetubestore.com/jjecc802sg.html

or any of the Brimars,,especially the 13D5 or for a more laid back touch,,the RCA 12au7 'cleartops",,,,,Amperex BB's are nice in the mids,,, and for proper presentations,,the Mullards will do nicely--have fun.

BTW--the Siemens and Tele's will be precisely accurate as well.

Tubes,, gotta love em'.
    Yeah George I agree on the 13D5's, "cleartops" and Bugle Boys (Soundstage!!!!!). They are fantastic tubes!

Thread Information