Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Default Almost a mint amplifier

I just opened an Adcom 555ii I purchased via E-bay, and it arrived in immaculate condition EXCEPT one of the cooling fins is bent, probably due to the packaging....the amp was resting on top of the fins in the box when it arrived. Also, the entire module cooling fins had shifted a bit inward.
    I DID email requesting the item be double-boxed right after payment, but it was not. I immediately emailed the seller requesting how they would remedy the situation, due the posting clearly stated MINT condition. My response from the seller - basically, damage the fault of UPS and file a claim with them.
    QUESTION - Is this an 'acceptable' response from the seller, or do I go ahead and file a negative response on the seller, and go ahead and file a claim w/ UPS.
    Thoughts, as this has been my first 'bad' Ebay transaction...
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP PJ
    Pioneer SC-05 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall A70.2 Integrated
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

Member Sales Rating: (47)

how did you pay for the item-- youmay have some recourse depending on type of payment,,I sincerely wish you good luck.Others with more experience will hopefully chime in.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Paypal linked to my credit card
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP PJ
    Pioneer SC-05 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

can you "reverse" the charge?

I may try later today.... I also have been running the amp non-stop to check out operation. Amazing how new SS electronics sound 'new' compared to older, broken in stuff.
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP PJ
    Pioneer SC-05 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    how did you pay for the item-- youmay have some recourse depending on type of payment,,I sincerely wish you good luck.Others with more experience will hopefully chime in.
    Actually, it's even easier than that now, if the sale was covered by "eBay Buyer Protection" (this is no longer handled through PayPal).

http://pages.ebay.com/coverage/index.html

Check the conditions of the sale: were returns accepted? Sometimes you only have seven days to return the item (I think it's seven days from the date of delivery, not the date of the sale).

Make sure you communicate politely and precisely with the seller, stating that UPS will not cover the damage if the item was not properly packed. You could always try to file a claim of course, but are you sure the item was insured for the correct amount? I've never done this before, so I have no idea how UPS would handle this. Double boxing is not a requirement, and I've seen amplifiers make it safely as long as lots of heavy bubble wrap was used inside a single box. Packing peanuts alone wouldn't work (without bubble wrap or double boxing), if that was what was used, because of shifting and the significant weight.

If the seller is not being cooperative, you can then file a claim with eBay Buyer Protection. They will ask you for details, and give the seller a chance to respond, but basically, if the item was described as "mint" and is damaged on arrival (it's not even your problem whether this was caused in transit or not, unless it is totally obvious the packaging was certainly at fault), then eBay will refund you the sale price plus the original shipping. You will have to pay the return shipping.

If all you want is a partial refund, to cover the difference between a mint item, and an item in its current condition, then you should state that in one of your message exchanges with the seller.

With your credit card, the procedure is very similar, and they will refund you immediately, but then they will ask for documented proof of everything, and if you don't have the right proof, they will simply reinstate the charge several weeks later.

Document everything to the best of your ability!

Best of luck.
    Alea jacta est!

Quote Originally Posted by kevhed72 View Post
    I may try later today... .
    Careful! As stated above:

- Chances are, they WILL refund you within hours.
    - You WILL be expected to return the item at your expense.
    - You WILL be expected to provide proof that the conditions of the sale were not honored.
    - You WILL be charged again if anything does not add up in your favor.

Check the terms of the listing for conditions of return, and print out the listing so that you have a copy of the description.

If you can make eBay Buyer Protection work for you, it's a much simpler process than with the Credit Card, but one will not exclude the other. The time requirement for a complaint with the Credit Card is probably ninety days (check this also, since it may vary). The time requirement with eBP is probably thirty days (but check that too, since I'm not certain).

Don't panic! If returns are accepted in the terms of the sale, you should be fine. Just keep calm and proceed carefully.
    Alea jacta est!

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Just an additional thought, it is up to the SELLER/sender to file a claim with UPS. You should be fully reimbursed for your original money spent and return shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Just an additional thought, it is up to the SELLER/sender to file a claim with UPS. You should be fully reimbursed for your original money spent and return shipping.
    Good point, Joe. I wasn't aware of that, since I haven't ever filed a claim with a shipper, but it makes sense: the seller is the person who paid UPS, not the recipient, so why would UPS "refund" somebody who never paid them anything?
    Alea jacta est!

great point guys-- when I had the shipping issue with MFSS hi fi--they,"the seller" has to file the claim--good luck with your issue,,hopefully a speedy resolution.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

He should have complied with your wishes to double box.UPS is always a disaster waiting to happen unless things are packaged to survive the most brutal handling possible.

Banned

This is definitely all on the seller . . . period. You need to call Paypal and get this straightened out ASAP. Also, it would not be inappropriate, if the seller doesn't cooperate, to leave him negative feedback. If he does cooperate I would leave neutral feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    This is definitely all on the seller . . . period. You need to call Paypal and get this straightened out ASAP. ...
    I don't think it is handled by PayPal any longer, with eBay transactions, hence eBay Buyer Protection.
    Alea jacta est!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    I don't think it is handled by PayPal any longer, with eBay transactions, hence eBay Buyer Protection.
    In that case; call eBay customer service and report the incident ASAP.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    Paypal still handles it if ebay Buyer Protection can't or won't. I just had an issue where I bought a Dish receiver from a guy that was not his free & clear to sell (i.e. still Dish property) I go online in ebay and they say that he's now listed with ebay.uk and ebay stateside can't handle the claim.
    (I know this is B.S. because I bought it with U.S. dollars as listed on the auction and it was shipped from a stateside address)
    So the ebay guy forwards me to Paypal, who file the claim as "Disputed". The guy has several weeks to respond, and he does. If he does not pay me back, Paypal will eventually cover it under the Protection, and what follows is between them and him.
    But he does reimburse, plus shipping, and I ended up dropping the dispute and changing his feedback to Neutral.

p.s. In your case, take lots of pictures of the original shipping container, filler, and the damaged unit.

I do want to keep the amp, I am just unhappy of the condition it arrived in.
    From what I can tell thus far, it functions fine - sound is a bit harsh, but I believe that is due I believe this amp was never used before. I just got home and I am going to keep it playing non-stop to ensure it is OK and break it in quicker.

Thanks all for your input...I think my next call is Ebay customer service.
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP PJ
    Pioneer SC-05 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Being a long time Ebayer, I've learned to check their feedback from others who have bought from them. Usually the good ones will have many very positive reviews about how professional the item was packaged in bubble wrap and_ double boxed etc. You may end up paying an extra 10 bucks in S+h, but it's worth it. Avoid all the amateurs out there. PS. The adcom is a well respected amp, enjoy!
    Last edited by Polkie2009; 05-15-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Sorry about your experience with a new toy. But if I were you I would dispute as not as advertised and send it back. There are more than enough triple 5's out there to just settle on a damaged one, even if its just light damage.

Good luck.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Receiver has to file the claim. The shipper will come to pick up the item for inspection. If they determine that the damage was caused by shipping, the seller can file a claim for shipping damage. Meanwhile, do file a disputed transaction through ebay. If you paid with paypal, the dispute will be handled through them. You cannot keep the amp though, as the seller cannot do a partial refund, and after inspection, it will be shipped back to the seller by the shipper.

I know all this because exactly the same thing happened to me about a year ago, and this is how it broke down.
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Thread Information