Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default Polk Audio noob RTi10 tweeter blown

    I picked these RTi10's up on craigslist. I've had them for about 3 weeks now. I'm not an audiophile. So I really didn't notice a difference in the speakers, till about a week ago. The right side didn't seem as loud. I just bought a new Yamaha RX-V1900 receiver and now I can hear the difference even more. I put a paper towel roll. Up to the right and left tweeters. After the test I don't hear any thing coming out of the right side speakers top tweeter. So I think it's bad but I'm not sure. Is there and more tests I should make. Or do I just try and find a new set of tweeter?

    Oh yea and when I play "Pink Floyds" Dark Side of the Moon. The 3rd song "Time". It crashes my receiver. It's starts back up and I see "check Sp wires" flashing and then it plays as normal. I'm Lucky it hasn't blown the receiver yet.

    I would like some advice. On what's the best solution to the problem.:o

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Check the jumpers between the binding posts on the back. They may not be tight. If so, the tweeter will not work. All the binding posts should be tight, and the the jumpers in place.

    If you are missing jumpers (there should be two per speaker, joining the top and bottom binding posts), make jumpers yourself using speaker wire.

    If all four binding posts per speaker are tight, and the jumpers are present, then you may have a blown tweeter. Contact customer service, in that case, for a replacement (mention that you are a club member, since there is a club discout). They probably still have these in stock, since the RTi10 is a relatively new speaker.
    Alea jacta est!

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Yea ok thanks.

    I checked the binding posts. Everything looks good. These are used speakers but they're in excellent condition. The post and the jumpers look really shiny.

    What is the best tweeters to get for these speaker? Should I get direct replacements or go for some kind of aftermarket tweets? These speakers seem a little harsh on the top end. As compaired to my old Definitive Technology DR7's.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    two eleven fifty-seven
    Posts
    3,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamic73 View Post
    Yea ok thanks.

    I checked the binding posts. Everything looks good. These are used speakers but they're in excellent condition. The post and the jumpers look really shiny.

    What is the best tweeters to get for these speaker? Should I get direct replacements or go for some kind of aftermarket tweets? These speakers seem a little harsh on the top end. As compaired to my old Definitive Technology DR7's.
    I like shiny too. :D
    The original tweeters are going to be the "best" replacement, as far as fit and function. The RTi line is notoriously bright (or harsh as you say), but there is a lot you can do to mitigate that. I've made many changes and tweaks to my gear in an effort to "tame" the brightness. I feel like I have a pretty good combo right now and have lately found the 2-channel performance from my HT rig to be quite pleasing. The RTi's are first and foremost, HT speakers, but with a little effort (or luck ;)) can be made to sound fairly good in plain old 2-channel stereo too.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks mdaudioguy. I've emailed polk audio customer service. They haven't got back to me yet. So when they do. I'll see about getting direct replacements.

    I'd like to know more about tweaking the RTi's, to make them better. Do you have posts? I can go to and read more about all you've done?

    One more thing. Does anyone know off hand. What size allen wrench it takes to remove the tweeters? I've got at least 50 different size allen wrenches and none of them were the right size. (just my luck) Seems to be somewhere in between 3mm and 4mm.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamic73 View Post
    ... What size allen wrench it takes to remove the tweeters? ...
    You probably should have posted this in the "Troubleshooting" section: "A direct line to Polk Audio customer service. If you've got questions or answers post here." Customer service in particular (not just the moderators) seem to roam around that part of the forum more than elsewhere.

    If you're in a hurry, you could try using the internet chat feature (look for the dialogue bubble icon on the top right of your screen while browsing Club Polk). Otherwise, any e-mails I have sent to Customer Service get answered within about 48 hours IIRC (but it's Friday, and they're mostly on the East coast, so if you don't hear back this afternoon, that'll probably mean Monday).
    Alea jacta est!

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Yea I didn't even notice that section. Let me end this post right here and open a new post in the troubleshooting section. Thanks for the direction.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    two eleven fifty-seven
    Posts
    3,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamic73 View Post
    Thanks mdaudioguy. I've emailed polk audio customer service. They haven't got back to me yet. So when they do. I'll see about getting direct replacements.

    I'd like to know more about tweaking the RTi's, to make them better. Do you have posts? I can go to and read more about all you've done?
    It's been an evolution - three different AVRs (two different brands, Yamaha and now, Harman Kardon), adding external amplification (three different amps (two different brands, Emotiva and now, Adcom)), upgraded interconnects and source connections. Adding an amp goes a long way toward providing balance with the RTi10s, IMO, since it seems to improve the mid-to-low end of the range, therefore requiring less cranking on the volume knob. Of course, the better it sounds, the louder I want to hear it. ;) The funny thing is, the changes are most evident when listening to music. My rig has always pleased me for HT. I've thought about messing with the crossovers, but I'm not sure it's really worth it for me, since I've got a couple other sets of speakers that perform better for 2-channel than I think the RTis ever will.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Exit Seventy-three on the LIE
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    It's been an evolution - three different AVRs (two different brands, Yamaha and now, Harman Kardon), adding external amplification (three different amps (two different brands, Emotiva and now, Adcom)), upgraded interconnects and source connections. Adding an amp goes a long way toward providing balance with the RTi10s, IMO, since it seems to improve the mid-to-low end of the range, therefore requiring less cranking on the volume knob. Of course, the better it sounds, the louder I want to hear it. ;) The funny thing is, the changes are most evident when listening to music. My rig has always pleased me for HT. I've thought about messing with the crossovers, but I'm not sure it's really worth it for me, since I've got a couple other sets of speakers that perform better for 2-channel than I think the RTis ever will.
    Hammer -> Nail

    Totally agree, could not have said it better. And yes, I have done almost everything md has done, maybe with different components, but close enough.
    The only thing I did over and above that was upgrade to IEC connectors so that better power cords may be used (yes, they do).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Blown tweeter on (very) old Polk speaker (Monitor 10?)
    By Michael Marley in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 04:17 PM
  2. Rti10 amp help for a noob
    By StevenFo2 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 09:46 PM
  3. Polk Audio RTi10 vs Boston Acoustics VR3
    By MKZ in forum Speakers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 01:38 PM
  4. Polk Audio RTi10 $243 shipped Frys.com
    By engtaz in forum Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 11:47 PM
  5. RTi10 Tweeter Blown
    By bernie1l in forum Speakers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 08:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts