Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default Opinions sought...

on the Threshold T100 amp. I have an oportunity to grab one of these for a great price, but I have no experience with the brand. It is a pure class A design from the mind of Nelson Pass, but that is all I know about them. Any input on them anyone?
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (0)

According to this it only 60 w/ch. http://www.threshold-audio.com/discontinued.html
    A note of caution, IIRC Threshold built some amps in that time frame that utilized IGBT transistors in the output stage.This may be one of those units?Those IGBT are unobtanium so if any should fail finding replacements could be an issue.

EDIT.OK it appears it is one of the IGBT models,so Nelson was not involved with the design. http://www.threshold-audio.com/about.html
    Last edited by FTGV; 05-14-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

If it is an IGBT model stay away.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

The Threshold pieces which are legendary are described here:

The first generation Threshold amplifiers utilized an inventive triple -series, triple parallel output, dynamically biased circuitry, which were light years ahead of anything else on the market. Four years later Nelson Pass created STASIS technology, which is widely regarded as one of the most significant circuit advances of the modern era. In addition to Threshold, Nelson Pass created many modern -classic amplifier designs under the Pass Labs, First Watt, and Nakamichi brand names. The Threshold S/200 A/AB STASIS amplifier was introduced in 1989 with a production run until 1992 and an original selling price of $1,950.00. It is an evolved member of the Stasis family of amplifiers and is still regarded as one of the gems of the Thresholds past. Sonically the S/200 is outstanding. It provides plenty of power with a level of sonic detail and elegance that many of today's high dollar amps have a hard time matching .

If you look at the early models with the dynamic bias circuitry try to get that later generation that had optical biasing as it was more stable than non-optical biased amps.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

so looking at a STASIS Pa7mkII from Nakamichi would be a good equivalent?
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (31)

What's your budget?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

I am a bit flexible. I was going to grab the Threshold for less than a grand, but I am in no hurry. I am looking to fully separate my two channel gear from the HT setup.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I dunno my man,for that kinda coin,I'd look around a bit.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

^^^^LOL.... Thanks, that one looks like a winner right there.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    ^^^^LOL.... Thanks, that one looks like a winner right there.
    Its common ground too,so SDA friendly.;)

Member Sales Rating: (23)

That Aragon sounds fantastic in the right set up, the guy I bought my M-1's had one he bought new and without any mods.....

Thread Information