Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Newbie Here to Forum, My things Have Changed in 20 years!

Greetings to all! Long time listener, first time caller...So I finally have the time and space to get back into the game after being gone for 20 years!

Background of what I have owned, Polk Moniter 5, RTA 11's, NAD 3020, Carver MXR 130, and Carver M400. I started out with the NAD, loved it. Still have it somewhere in storage!

So now after being limited to what I could buy due to frequent travel and and smallish accomodations at times I am finally settled in a house with plenty of space (to a point) and not moving anytime soon.

So the rebuild has begun, I recently purchased a pair of Rti A7's, a pr tsi 100's for rear channels right now, and a cs 10.

Powering is being done by a Denon AVR2600 thats ..ummm 13 years old...lol. Due to above stated reasons. The Rti's replaced Bose acoustimass..I know I know, they served there purpose, easy to pack and travel and need limited space.

So here is the deal, Since the world of audio gear has spiraled from my grasp for the most part(tried to stay current over the years), things have defo become more complicated.

My Denon has 5.1 analog inputs plus pre outs, I was thinking about adding a NAD T 955. I was first looking at recievers, the local hi fi guy was really pushing the Den 2310, but I listen to a lot of 2 channel also, and from what I have read on here and other forums, the current Dens jsut really are not there for 2 chan.

Second, I really don't need the HDMI connectivity, my next purchase will be the Oppo 83 real soon. I have a Sammy 50" plasma and an Epson 1080 CinemaLite projector, and my current Toshiba HD DVD upscales great for me.
    My thing is really sound, sound, and sound. Sure there are great features on many of those receivers, and they do sound appealing, my source material for music is my ITunes library now(convenience) but I do like to pop in a real disc from to time, and will more often with the Oppo.

So I have looked at the Marantz 7002(found a great deal), was looking at the Den's, but have shyed away now, looked at some NAD's T773, and T747.
    I know the Den 2310 can be bi amped, which I think I want to do if a HTR is chosen.

So now my head is more screwed up than ever, the choices were much easier years ago!

I am leaning towards the Marantz if I go HTR route, but that NAD T747 looks really good, plus I can get a good deal on one right now:D, but the idea of keeping the Den as a pre and just adding the NAD T955 amp sounds good also.

The Rti's are still breaking in, but are still going to be a little bright with my current Den and forward. Bass could be cleaned up too, they go low enough, but lack some detail at times depending on source material.

Any thoughts? Or pros and cons?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would forget biamping off a receiver and consider an external amp to power the speakers. Also I would consider HDMI as it makes for less cable, and you get all the HD codecs /video in a single cable. Have you listened to the Pioneer Elites? You can actually tone down the high end in MCACC which is a very nice feature. Last but not least I would consider a nice sub with that setup, something that can dig deep and give you the low end you want.

As always, others will chime in just some of my thoughts. Sounds like your on the way to a great setup, especially with the projector in there. Welcome to the club.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I would like to present the flip side to the HDMI coin.

If you are serious about your two channel music and intend to incorporate it into a home theater set-up, hdmi created more problems than it solved in my set-up. Most importantly for me was the ability to run hdmi, listen to two channel music with the display running in the background muted. This was being accomplished via a new Pio Elite AVR. Every time I wanted to switch from one input to another the handshake is dropped for audio (silence)... re-establish handshake... audio then comes back (2-4 seconds).
    I found this annoying and intolerable, the Pio is now for sale.

Just one person's experience, YMMV.
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.

Welcome to Club Polk Ric!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (3)

First, welcome to Club Polk. I would keep the Denon and try it as a pre with the Nad. You can always change for a different pre. Before I purchased a pair of totally re-built/modded SDA-1C's I was using a pair of RTiA7's up front and they sounded really good with Carver amplification. Perhaps consider used or something like a Sunfire amp. Regardless, I think the Nad will bring the A7's to a level that will surprise you. The A7's love more power and a seperate amp will really make a difference.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp fully rebuilt and modded
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

"WELCOME TO CLUB POLK!!"

Your current Denon has pre-outs, the AVR 2310 does NOT. So I'd take that off the table period! I like the idea of NAD amplification with that! As you have multi-analogs in you can live without HDMI!

To Amherst above...a question...almost all AVRs have that delay or momentary handshake? Are you going to forsake AVRs entirely and just go two channel?

Back to OP....I also like the Marantz as an upgrade to your Denon...but I would also add amplification to that...and of course, you can.

Rtis could also use an Rti center channel..the CS10 is really not timbre matched...whereas the 100s in the back should be fine because surrounds are not as important for this.

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Welcome to the Dark Side!

Welcome to the forum, Ric!

Concerning the NAD T747: I actually don't like this unit. I haven't heard it, mind you, but it seems like a dumbed down version of a NAD to me, just to get the new audio formats available in an entry level unit. I'd be far more interested in a T765 for the same price, with HDMI but without the new audio formats. In fact, I'd be far more interested in the T754 for less, even though it doesn't have HDMI at all ... and that's what I already have, BTW.

Concerning the T955: I've been tempted by this one too, but recently, I've been leaning more towards a C275BEE two channel instead. I might even buy more than one, eventually, but this kind of two channel unit really delivers the dynamics that have made NAD so desirable to those that get the NAD bug. I hope to pair this with my current NAD receiver, or a newer model like the T775 or T785. The T955 is a tempting price though. I've seen them sell for as low as $500 on AudiogoN, but at that price, they're usually gone within 48 hours.

Best of luck! Spearit Sound is a great place for NAD, as well as Saturday Audio Exchange. Both sell regularly on AudiogoN, where you can offer less that the asking price (I don't know about SS, but apparently SAE are open to negotiation on these deals).

http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...ower-Amplifier
    http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm
    http://www.saturdayaudio.com/
    http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/src...archstring=NAD

BTW, I have a Denon from that era too: the AVR3200. It even has that funky bi-amping option built in (with the extra binding posts on the rear), as well as pre-outs for the front three channels. It's a nice unit for sure, but it's no NAD!
    Last edited by Kex; 05-15-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I saw something nasty in the woodshed!
    Alea jacta est!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Welcome to Club Polk!
    Cheers, Ken

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Thanks everyone for their responses, was bidding on a Carver, but was out of town when auction closed, lost it by $2 dollars...grrhhh.

Looking at a NAD now, can't find much info on it. CI9060, looks like a multi zone amp, so don't know if it will work for HT. Anybody familiar with this?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Amherst View Post
    I would like to present the flip side to the HDMI coin.

If you are serious about your two channel music and intend to incorporate it into a home theater set-up, hdmi created more problems than it solved in my set-up. Most importantly for me was the ability to run hdmi, listen to two channel music with the display running in the background muted. This was being accomplished via a new Pio Elite AVR. Every time I wanted to switch from one input to another the handshake is dropped for audio (silence)... re-establish handshake... audio then comes back (2-4 seconds).
    I found this annoying and intolerable, the Pio is now for sale.

Just one person's experience, YMMV.
    I hate that about my Pioneer as well. The 2-4 second HDMI synch is REALLY irritating.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    To Amherst above...a question...almost all AVRs have that delay or momentary handshake? Are you going to forsake AVRs entirely and just go two channel?

cnh
    Yep CNH, I don't see any advantage to incorporating the HDMI interface into the audio. You are correct that the issue is protocol related so there is no way out. The home theater (5.1) has to be part of my rig, not just two channel, so that complicates things.

HDMI is just a pain in my book, video only and done.
    Have already moved on to a pre/processor, no HDMI, and am much happier.
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Welcome to Club Polk Ric5811! Ya can't go wrong with NAD. I use an NAD T765 and it fits all my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric5811 View Post
    Thanks everyone for their responses, was bidding on a Carver, but was out of town when auction closed, lost it by $2 dollars...grrhhh.

Looking at a NAD now, can't find much info on it. CI9060, looks like a multi zone amp, so don't know if it will work for HT. Anybody familiar with this?
    Welcome to the club, are you bidding on this stuff from E-bay ? You take a big risk by doing so imho.

Welcome to the forum!
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Thread Information