Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Today's the Day

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Today's the Day

Hot damm. To be delivered today will be a pair of 70's and a 505 with the CS2 set for Monday. What a great weekend this will be. Now I need to match them all up with my Yamaha 663.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

sounds like you're up for a good weekend.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

great choice in bag for the buck audio, you'll love it

Nice!!

Be sure to report back with some impressions!

That's a great rig you're putting together there.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congratulations, welcome to Club Polk.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Congratulations, welcome to Club Polk.
    Ditto

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Let us all know how you make out.
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

The first two things I listened too was the "Celine Dion concert from Las Vegas" (Paladia) and "By invitation only Keith Urban". Not too bad..........Just kidding. It was awesome. Over the weekend it will be the blu-ray versions of "Avatar", "Batman Dark Knight", and "Star Trek". I'm just guessing but I think they might just sound over the edge spectacular. I still may want to play with the 505's settings but I think the 70's should probably be left in the Large mode. The CS2 has not arrived yet so I'm still using my old ancient Polk center channel. I can't imagine it sounding any better. These 70's are HUGE.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Congrats!

Now, try turning off the center on your Yamaha ("phantom center") and see if you like the sound even better!

Which old center are you using? Some match better than other with the newer stuff.

Not sure about the center because the label has disappeared. It's about 8 years old. I do have a question on the 505 and my Yamaha 663. The 505 instruction page shows several ways to hook up the 505. Like figure 6 or 7 or 8. My old sub doesn't offer any options. Am I reading option one (fig. 6) correctly in wiring the 70' like normal to the receiver and then also wiring the 70's from the receiver to the 505? If this is correct should this be my first choice. Thanks.

Congratulations, and welcome to the crazy world of Club Polk (most of us should really be under constant supervision in an institution).

Quote Originally Posted by inazsully View Post
    ... I still may want to play with the 505's settings but I think the 70's should probably be left in the Large mode. ...
    Try it both ways, and then decide what you prefer. You may also want a different setting for movies vs. music listening:

- Left on LARGE,
    - Set as SMALL, with a crossover of 40Hz or higher (up to 80Hz).

... The CS2 has not arrived yet so I'm still using my old ancient Polk center channel. I can't imagine it sounding any better. ...
    Depending on what ancient center you are using, it may not sound all that different, TBH. There are several different generations of Polk centers that play very nicely with other generations of mains IMO.
    Alea jacta est!

Quote Originally Posted by inazsully View Post
    ... I do have a question on the 505 and my Yamaha 663. ...
    For Home Theater, it's all about the Low Frequency Effects, or LFE, so for that in particular you should use the RCA type pre-out for a subwoofer cable, and connect your speakers directly to the Yamaha. In this case, all crossover settings are managed by the receiver and you get the full benefit of the LFE from the 0.1 channel, but you'll need a subwoofer cable if you don't have one already.

For music, there's probably a case to be made in favor of what was often called the "Polk method", since all the Polk Audio subwoofer manuals recommended it, connecting the front speaker outputs of the receiver to the subwoofer speaker inputs, and then connecting the speakers to the subwoofer speaker outputs. This would be done with speaker wire only, not any RCA type cable. In this case, the crossover is managed by the subwoofer. With this method, you will never get the full benefit of LFE for movies.
    Alea jacta est!

Hi Inazsully!

Congratulations! "Sounds" like fun. I'm 100% with you on the improvement in sound quality. I even listen to some commercials just because I like the sound of my Polk system. My CS2 sounds great. I'm feeling the push though from the guys here at Club Polk to invest in a separate amp to use with my AVR. (I'm understanding that a separate will provide more "headroom" and "dynamic range".) For your wallet's sake, try to resist similar urges as long as you can! (Hah - "Resistance is futile!" - Where is Jean Luc when I need him?)

Best Wishes

Pappy

AVR - Pioneer VSX 9040TXH
    TV - Samsung HL-T6756W DLP
    BD - Panasonic DMP-BD605
    Cable - CableOne HD DVR
    Fronts - Polk Audio Monitor 70s
    Center - Polk Audio CS2
    Rears - Polk Audio Monitor 60s
    Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW 505

congrats!!!!!....you'll def. enjoy them