Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Granite speaker bases for lsi 15's ???

Good morning guys.I did a search but could not get what I was looking for.Who uses custom bases for their 15's?I have thick carpet and the woofers are muddy which is understandable.I did a quick fix and lifted my speakers about 2 inches off the carpet.I have the rubber feet on which helps with the isolation.I did a before/after demo and it did take alot of the muddiness out.What do you use and what are your thoughts/results?I think the polished granite would look real nice. Thx, Eddie

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Remove the rubber feet. Under the rubber you will find spikes and that should make a huge improvement.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Were you using carpet spikes before? I use them on mine and have had no issues with muddiness, though I've never tried raising the speakers. You might find a large shift to your soundstage by lifting them so high, depending on your listening position. I find that slight shifts in my seating height relative to the speakers will move the soundstage up and down quite a bit. Sitting low relative to the drivers will move the mid-high frequencies up and even way overhead.

What are you driving them with? I wonder if that could be some of the source of the muddiness. The speakers are power hungry, especially for the lower frequencies.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Spikes.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Default Just the spikes?

Thanks for the replies.Nobody like the granite idea? I can get it in one inch height with a black lacquer finish to match the finish.I have them lifted about 1.5" and it really did not get to bright on the topend.I'll go do the spikes and see how they react.Thx again. Eddie

Placement issues may also come into play along with what your powering them with, which by the way,what are you powereing them with?

Default Forgot to answer ?'s

I am only temporarily driving them with an Onkyo 989.They will be driven with an Emotiva UMC-1 and XPA-5 amp.I just got all the new gear in and my amp lost the right front channel,go figure.....Like I said the bass really tightened up when I lifted them up.I have a SVS PB-13 Ultra for deep deep bass but I feel the 15's do quite well as stand alones in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by texas ed View Post
    Thanks for the replies.Nobody like the granite idea? I can get it in one inch height with a black lacquer finish to match the finish.I have them lifted about 1.5" and it really did not get to bright on the topend.I'll go do the spikes and see how they react.Thx again. Eddie
    If it doesn't cost too much, try it and report back with your findings.
    There is much inexpensive experimention with this hobby that can make it fun.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by texas ed View Post
    They will be driven with an Emotiva UMC-1 and XPA-5 amp.I just got all the new gear in and my amp lost the right front channel,go figure.....
    Sorry to hear that. It must really suck to get brand new gear and have these kind of issues.

Careful with the testing if driven only by the Onkyo...you might be tempted to push them too hard and that kind of power could damage them.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Default spike test

Don't laugh at me.The previous owner had a carpet hookup.He put some high dollar thick a$$ carpet in here and and extra thick padding as well.The spikes on the 15 are too short to get a strong bite.I still like the granite look/idea and will go that route.I have/will not drive them hard until I get my Emotiva back.I also have a new Oppo 83 that I am dying to hook up but NO hdmi on the Onkyo because of it's age.I'm about a week away from audio bliss....Thanks again for all the support for this forum newbie...Eddie

That Onk is part of your problem. The Emo will bring you into the realm of acceptability certainly. In the future if you are interested in upgrading you can try a higher end amp.

Are you going to put spikes on the granite? I wonder if just setting it on the cushy carpet will achieve the best result.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I have my 15's on an 18 x 18 piece of tile...spiked. Seemed to tighten up the bass a bit. I got some cheaper spikes from parts express http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-715 Many on the forum swear by myesound spikes

Default Appreciate all the help

I will try the granite with and without the spikes to find the optimal sound.I'll post later after I get all the items and experiment with it...

All in one shop, they carry granite and spikes in different lengths. I bought from them when modding my RTi12s.

http://www.oregondv.com/
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Thread Information