Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Any reciever suggestions for my setup?

Hello everyone
    I'm building my first HT system in a new basement and I decided to go with Polk speakers.
    Speakers I'm looking into right now are as follows

TV : LG 55LE8500
    Front L/R : RTi8
    Center : CSi5
    Rear Surround : FXi3 or FXi5 or FXiA4
    Sub : HSU STF-2 or PA-120

Going with bipole/dipole surrounds because I'm going for 5.1 and only available space for surround is 3~4feet behind the seats on the ceiling. And Monster XP CI100 speaker wires are ran through in-ceiling already. :p

So the only thing I need (or afford in my budget) is a reciever.
    I did some research and found out wattage out per channel is a very important factor to get the most out of RTi speakers. It's also a reason I chose RTi8s over RTi10s, which I think require much more watts, and recievers capable (or reciever + amp) of running RTi10s cost a lot more than my budget.

I currently have around $500 to spend on a reciever. I want something that can drive RTi8s well enough and easy to use (since it's my first HT) and great value for the $$.

I have Onkyo HT-RC180 in mind right now, they seem to be very nice recievers for $500 range right now, but I would like some confirmation or suggestions from someone experienced. Cheaper reciever + amp combos will be nice too as long as they are in $500 range.

Help a noobie out :)
    Last edited by yjkey; 05-25-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Hello. Welcome to CP.

The HT-RC180 is an decent receiver. You may be able to get more for your $$$ if you go the used route. Whichever way you go, make sure that your receiver has pre-outs so that down the road you can get a good 5 channel amp to run your speakers. 110 watts per channel is ok and will run the RTi8's, but it will sound much better with a separate amp running 200wpc.

Are you mounting your fxi's to the ceiling?

Yes I've been thinking of adding an amp later on, HT-RC180 has pre-outs if I remember correctly.

FXi will be mounted about a feet or two down from the ceiling. I know the results of bipole/dipole is much greater when wall mounted but the room is about 28feet long and will be too far from the seats when mounted on the rear wall in my opinion.

Just need to find a right ceiling mount. So many things to learn/find/research on a first HT. :$

I have the RT line of speakers and use an Onkyo 607. I think it does a fine job with general home theater use.

If you can though, try and get an 70X or 80X.

Setup is easy with the Onkyo. After hooking everything up to the receiver, I think it took like 15-20 min. to do the Audyssey setup. If you're not interested in 3D TV, then go cheaper and get the 607, 707 or 807 series.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I'd be interested to see what ceiling mount you come up with. I was actually thinking that you could mount the FXi's on the side wall, but you know your set up better than all of us. Once you do get the ceiling mount, take pictures and post it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by yjkey View Post
    Hello everyone
    I'm building my first HT system in a new basement and I decided to go with Polk speakers.
    Speakers I'm looking into right now are as follows

TV : LG 55LE8500
    Front L/R : RTi8
    Center : CSi5
    Rear Surround : FXi3 or FXi5 or FXiA4
    Sub : HSU STF-2 or PA-120

Going with bipole/dipole surrounds because I'm going for 5.1 and only available space for surround is 3~4feet behind the seats on the ceiling. And Monster XP CI100 speaker wires are ran through in-ceiling already. :p

So the only thing I need (or afford in my budget) is a reciever.
    I did some research and found out wattage out per channel is a very important factor to get the most out of RTi speakers. It's also a reason I chose RTi8s over RTi10s, which I think require much more watts, and recievers capable (or reciever + amp) of running RTi10s cost a lot more than my budget.

I currently have around $500 to spend on a reciever. I want something that can drive RTi8s well enough and easy to use (since it's my first HT) and great value for the $$.

I have Onkyo HT-RC180 in mind right now, they seem to be very nice recievers for $500 range right now, but I would like some confirmation or suggestions from someone experienced. Cheaper reciever + amp combos will be nice too as long as they are in $500 range.

Help a noobie out :)
    The RT8's have a more prominent mid-range than the 10's and are more efficient, so you made a good choice IMO.

Look for a Harman Kardon AVR 254 on ebay. They can be had for well under 500 bones these days. HK has a very warm rich tone that have a very good synergy with the extremely detailed (bright) tweeter on the RTi8s. I honestly can't stand the way my 8's sound when being driven by my Onkyo receiver.
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun

Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    The RT8's have a more prominent mid-range than the 10's and are more efficient, so you made a good choice IMO.

Look for a Harman Kardon AVR 254 on ebay. They can be had for well under 500 bones these days. HK has a very warm rich tone that have a very good synergy with the extremely detailed (bright) tweeter on the RTi8s. I honestly can't stand the way my 8's sound when being driven by my Onkyo receiver.
    Welcome to Club Polk yjkey.

+1 on the Harman Kardon AVR's. They compliment the RTi8's very well.
    I have my RTi8's on a HK AVR 354 and the high end and low end are nicely balanced.
    HK AVR's generally have a warmer sound compared to the Onkyos or Pioneers that I've heard.
    The RTi8's also sound even better when feed from a good external amp.
    Ensure that your receiver has preamp outputs to give you that choice.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 05-26-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

I am very happy with the receiver in my signature. Although I have never used the internal amp it sounds great front ending my system.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

Thx for all the input guys :)
    I took a look at HK recievers the 254 and the 354 and power output seems a bit low.
    Way under 100watts so I just bit on an Ebay deal $484.99 for new Onkyo ht-rc180 with free shipping. HT-RC180 is 110watts per channel.
    But now that some of you guys mention the brightness of Rti8 and onkyo reciever I'm getting worried.
    How would rc-180 handle rti10s? If it handles it well enough and not sound lousy and weak like some posters say they sound like when it is without good amp, maybe I should get the 10s to lessen the brightness?
    Back to square one it seems :(

Don't let the low numbers fool you(OR break you) with HK gear. They drop TONS of current(Polks like this:D). Someone else stated they ran a 60x series Onkyo. The Onkyo is a good choice for a start. Make sure it's got pre outs. That way upgraditis won't be so painful! No reason to start over. Your room also plays a HUGE role in how these will sound.
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Onkyo M-501-Given to my father.
    Onkyo DX-C730 CD Changer
    Onkyo DV-BD507 Blu Ray player
    Onkyo CP-1036A turntable with Grado, Audio Technique, and Azden cartridges(GOT CARTRIDGE??)
    Polk Monitor 12's with RDO's and XO's
    Polk CS300 Center
    Polk Monitor Series 4 rears

EBAY is like cocaine. At first you only look, next thing you know, your house is full of crap you have no idea why you own.

+1 HK ratings are VERY conservative.I run an onkyo and replaced my rti8's with a pair of 6's cause the highs were way to much for music.HT wise they sounded great.But I am into two channel more than movies.Just something to consider.

Steve

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by cnoat View Post
    +1 HK ratings are VERY conservative.I run an onkyo and replaced my rti8's with a pair of 6's cause the highs were way to much for music.HT wise they sounded great.But I am into two channel more than movies.Just something to consider.

Steve
    +1 for the HK / RTi pairing. I tried Yamaha and Onkyo (both very good AVRs - just not with my speaks, IMO), but I prefer the HK. The RTis are efficient speakers, and the HK is a true high-current design.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Thread Information