Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Trying to decide on an amp(s).

For this question I only want to focus on this part of my setup...

Pioneer Elite VSX-56txi receiver. Power = 100 wpc at 8 ohm.

(2) Acoustic Research AR9 - new model. Power handling = 250 w max.

There are 2 sets of binding posts, 1 10" sub, 2 drivers and a tweeter.

-there isnt any info at all on the RMS handling of these, so I dont know.

The amps I am interested in are:

One of those Emotiva amps - 125 wpc x 2. I also really like the Marantz MA500, which has the same power (I would get 2), or the MA700 which has 200 wpc.

I dont know what you can do with those Marantz amps, but if bridged your supposed to get over 300 w @ 8 ohms.

Is either one a good choice? Is that enough power you think? Any other suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg‎
Views:	56
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	49091   Click image for larger version

Name:	product_116312.jpg‎
Views:	46
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	49092  

Theater:

Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXI
    Adcom 555
    Acoustic Research AR9 (Latest)
    JBL S Center
    Definitive Technologies ProCinema 1000 (Surround x2)
    JBL PS1400 Sub
    Monster 3600 MkII Conditioner
    NAD T572 DVD
    PS3
    Lots of wire

-Looking for a decent Sunfire MK II-

Samsung LNT-4665F
    Polk OMW3 - TV Speakers

Vintage:

Pioneer SX-780
    Pioneer PLA-45D Turntable
    Advent Heritage Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Nice looking speakers. When it comes to powering them, for the most part more is better. More speakers are damaged by underpowering them then overpowering them.

I always recommend getting at least 200wpc for power. This lets almost any speaker operate to their full potential. So I would suggest the MA700's With this much power there is no need to biwire/biamp.

My speakers are power by a Sunfire 5 channel 405wpc amp and all of them sound great. At any volume level, I am able to clearly hear everything that was recorded into the music. This was not the case when I just used a receiver or had my speakers powered by a Rotel 50wpc amp.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I am trying to understand what you are trying to do.

The speakers are bi amp so you are looking for an amp for the lows? or are you looking for an amp to run them at full range?

Are you running the pioneer for home theater or is this just for stereo? If you are running the pioneer for 2 channel on the AR9's, and are thinking of going with the marantz m5000 or emo amp, I don't think you are going to hear a difference. The receiver you have is probably better sounding then both of those amps. ( please no flaming for that one but, the Pioneer Elite VSX-56txi he has is a solid good sounding receiver) .

If you are looking to bi amp the speaker and are looking for an amp for the bottoms, I think the emo might have a edge over the marantz 5000. I would say then it would be between the emo or the Marantz ma700

I have no doubt that the Pioneer is a good sounding receiver. However, it really won't show what those speakers are really capable of in the way that a seperate powerful amp can do.

Now I agree, if he is going to amp them, then don't bother getting a seperate amp of the same wattage, it will help some, but it won't really be an ear openning experience that will justify the extra dollars.

I couldn't really hear a difference between a 50wpc Rotel amp & the amp in my 110wpc Denon receiver. I heard a HUGE difference when I went up to my 205wpc Parasound amp with the same Denon receiver. I will never have less than a 200wpc amp driving my speakers.

Buying a 200wpc amp will cost more money, but in the end he will most likely HEAR a big improvement making it worth the expense. And he will be able to keep it through all other upgrades.

Also, again with such a powerful amp, it isn't really necessary to biamp/wire. Just run them full range & enjoy.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Huge difference between a Parasound and a denon receiver lol. not because of power though, but because of sound quality, construction, and design.

I would put a 75 watt tube amp up against the Parasound and you would hear a difference. All watts are not created equal!

BTW the sunfire is a great amp!

I am running a sunfire sig II 625 x 2 on my carver amazings.

For my polk 1.2 Mcintosh 2105. 110 per @ 8 ohm but i have them running on the 4 ohm taps.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I'm running a 100wpc amp and it is absolutely amazing. However, it's an ARC :)
    -Kevin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)

Polk LS 90's - Front
    Polk CS350 LS - Center
    Polk Monitor 50's - Rear
    JBL Northridge E150P - Sub

2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    Polk LS90's (spiked & tweeked)
    Cardas IC's
    Cardas Bi-Wire

Sigh, Tubes are another (more expensive different catagory) topic all together. Something a newbie more than likely is NOT interested in. There is no need to confuse the OP any more with throwing them into the discussion.

Denon makes a good product. Unless you are scraping the bottom of the barrel, most of the big name receiver makers put out good products. However, they have to economize somewhere & that place is in the power. And power is the most important thing speakers need to operate.

You have obviously moved on from beginner level gear. Congrats.

I try to address the questions at the level the poster is at, & bring them up 1 notch. Not try to take them from 0-100 in one go.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 05-27-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks for the advice, first of all.

I hope its alright for the speakers (now that I have read about under powering) but I hooked them straight to the receiver. I left the metal connectors on the speakers wiring both sets of banana plugs together, and just hooked them straight to each channel. I dont really crank it, so Im sure the 100 watts from the Pioneer is doing still OK for the speakers, because the RMS has to be in that range right?

I would rather not bi-anything because of my experience, but wouldnt rule it out. I also understand that 125 wpc probably wont be a huge difference, but some were saying that it was on their systems. I would indeed like to go 200 + wpc on an amp, just because it sounds better. Im really open to any amp out there, maybe in the $300-400 range.

Oh, Im also wiring it in a home theater setup. I just didnt want to throw confusion in there with all the other speakers.

Thanks again.

Theater:

Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXI
    Adcom 555
    JBL S Center
    JBL PS1400 Sub
    NAD T572 DVD
    PS3
    Lots of wire

Samsung LNT-4665F
    Polk OMW3 - TV Speakers

Vintage:

Pioneer SX-780
    Advent Heritage Speakers

theres one thing I forgot. I want to just have them set up full range i think. If I start separating the woofers from the mids and highs, then wouldnt I have to unhook the x-over in the speakers? Its mostly because of that, that I would like to just use the whole speaker on its own channel.

Theater:

Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXI
    Adcom 555
    JBL S Center
    JBL PS1400 Sub
    NAD T572 DVD
    PS3
    Lots of wire

Samsung LNT-4665F
    Polk OMW3 - TV Speakers

Vintage:

Pioneer SX-780
    Advent Heritage Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Usually manufacturers power ratings for AVR's are a little inflated. You might get close to 90wpc if your driving just the mains, all channels driven would be more in the 60 to 70 wpc range. A seperate amp makes things sound sooo much better. IMO 150wpc is usually a good place to start when your talking HT mains.

David
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

Member Sales Rating: (10)

For $3-400 you could definitely do a Carver or Adcom if you want to consider used. Watch the flea market here, amps are usually a good item to buy used. The marantz might be comparable to these. 200 watts will help to open up the potential of your speakers and don't worry about overpowering them unless you are REALLY cranking them up.

Oh, and GO BUCKS!

Yep, stalk www.audiogon.com for a good deal on a 2ch amp.

Thread Information