Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    378

    Default Any thoughts on Vampire wire? "Vampire Wire SC-1108 twisted silver speaker cable RAW"

    Thinking of making some speaker cables for a friend and if it works out, might make myself a pair.

    I found some new bare wire on eBay from a great seller who just sells Vampire for the last ten years and has 285 100% positive feedback, so I know it's legit.

    Vampire Wire SC-1108 twisted silver speaker cable RAW

    Just need 10 feet of it @ $2.75 a foot, 7.00 shipping.

    I still have a pair of Vampire RCA IC's for $35 I bought ten years ago and like it better then the entry level MIT stuff I tried once. So I thought I might try their speaker wire.

    Any thoughts on Vampire?

    Possibly compared to Canare 4S11, Carole Cable, Signal or Blue Jeans stuff?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (47)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sufficiently Breathless
    Posts
    11,100

    Default

    I think that you would do better with the Canare
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

  3. #3
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Vampire makes great binding posts but I can't comment on the speaker wire as I have no experience with it.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,191

    Default

    Be careful, silver wire has a much different sound than copper. It's not for every system. Canare gets my vote too

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (23)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Space City Fl
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    +2 for the Canare, listened to a pair of speaker cables a friend made this weekend and they sounded very very nice and the price was right...........good luck with your project....

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Thank you all! Hmm... Maybe need to grab the Canare.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dixon, IL
    Posts
    6,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Be careful, silver wire has a much different sound than copper. It's not for every system. Canare gets my vote too

    H9

    +1

    I've never used silver speaker cables, but I've used Ben's silver IC's. They were nice cables, but the synergy just wasn't on in my rig I guess. The silvers gave my rig a somewhat thin, tinny kind of sound. My low end response was also significantly reduced.

    I could imagine silver cables would work well in a rig that was overly warm sounding...they'd probably help to balance it out, and put a little more sparkle into the high end. I've still got a couple pairs of Ben's silvers around though, just in case I ever need to brighten my rig up.:)



    +1 for the Canare. I've got a pair of Canare 4S11 speaker cables with GLS locking nanners on them...I terminated them myself, and used heat shrink and tech flex with them. It was an easy job, and they sound great. They look fantastic too. I made a 6' pair, and I believe the total costs were around $45. Not bad at all.

    Here's an excellent walk through on how to terminate them properly. The end product looks great.

    http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94203
    Last edited by comfortablycurt; 06-02-2010 at 02:04 AM.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    +1

    I've never used silver speaker cables, but I've used Ben's silver IC's. They were nice cables, but the synergy just wasn't on in my rig I guess. The silvers gave my rig a somewhat thin, tinny kind of sound. My low end response was also significantly reduced.

    I could imagine silver cables would work well in a rig that was overly warm sounding...they'd probably help to balance it out, and put a little more sparkle into the high end. I've still got a couple pairs of Ben's silvers around though, just in case I ever need to brighten my rig up.:)



    +1 for the Canare. I've got a pair of Canare 4S11 speaker cables with GLS locking nanners on them...I terminated them myself, and used heat shrink and tech flex with them. It was an easy job, and they sound great. They look fantastic too. I made a 6' pair, and I believe the total costs were around $45. Not bad at all.

    Here's an excellent walk through on how to terminate them properly. The end product looks great.

    http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94203
    You rock curt! Ok, this finally has sold me not to go the silver/copper route for now.

    And for the price of the Canare, how can I go wrong?

    That tutorial was fantastic! Helped to answer alot of questions about techflex. They look so very professional!

    Btw, checking out Part-Express techflex stuff. Would you go with carbon or black? The carbon looks sexy as hell, but sometimes I don't want to attract too much attention, too many cables running around as it is! :D

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Echosphere View Post

    Btw, checking out Part-Express techflex stuff. Would you go with carbon or black? The carbon looks sexy as hell, but sometimes I don't want to attract too much attention, too many cables running around as it is! :D
    I used Black Tech Flex on my DIY Canare cables I use in the office/computer rig. Looks nice and traditional.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Thanks H9, I'm sold and going for the "traditional" black.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. SOLD Signal Cable Silver Resolution Speaker Cables 8 ft bi-wire and IC's
    By GEBBY44 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM
  2. Vampire Connectors & Wire Website
    By I-SIG in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 03:38 AM
  3. Good Surround Speaker Wire (12GA,10GA, Twisted wire etc)
    By malikarshad in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 03:17 PM
  4. FS: Vampire Wire, 10ft pair
    By RuSsMaN in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 11:07 AM
  5. "invisible" speaker wire
    By okiepolkie in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts