Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Default New Toys - Rogue Audio Apollo Monoblocks

My craving for tubes was too great to ignore. These are Rogue Audio Apollo tube monoblocks. With the assistance of beemers417 and Nick (at Rogue Audio), we realized that no AI-1 Interface was needed, nor the need to connect the negatives in order to connect my 1.2TLs. I've been listening to them most of the day. I have only had to bias the tubes twice since unpacking them from their box.

I am currently using a Carver Lightstar preamp, as I wait for my tube preamp to arrive.

I now know why people enjoy the sound of tubes.

At 250 watts per block, they make the Polks come alive. Very nice detailed music at a low volume. I thought Diana Krall was actually playing live in my home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Various Pictures 06-04-2010 009.jpg‎
Views:	283
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	49432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Various Pictures 06-04-2010 042.jpg‎
Views:	1013
Size:	515.6 KB
ID:	49433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Various Pictures 06-04-2010 035.jpg‎
Views:	196
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	49434  
    Re-electing our politicians would be like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Very nice, in fact, awesome! I'm curious as to how you are able to skip AI-1.

(Maybe the blue line in your first photo is acting as a common ground :D :D)
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 06-05-2010 at 10:59 PM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

"Thou shall not tell a lie," I do not know how to explain the common ground (or non) details.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Nice grab. 250 watts is a sh!t load of tube love

I had a Rogue 90 tube amp and loved it.

Congrats!

Member Sales Rating: (12)

:DThe first picture clearly shows a wireless AI-1 connection... Tesla would be proud!:D

Awesome amps my friend. Congrats.

I look forward to a full and complete review.

John
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by toucanet View Post
    "Thou shall not tell a lie," I do not know how to explain the common ground (or non) details.
    Those amps are in a different league. I was curious and found their website and the specs are absolutely superlative. Let us know how it goes when the new preamp arrives and everything gets to season a bit.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Nice toasters. Enjoy!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Here is a photo of the switches that are used to bias the six KT-90 tubes. I am new to tubes, however, they did a good job with the simplicity of biasing the tubes.

I thought the bass was going to be relatively soft coming from tubes. I was dead wrong, the bass is very tight.

So far, I'm loving the combination of the Rogue and Polks.
    Attached Images  

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I am soooooo drooling over those.. Now if my Onkyo's could only make lightning!!!
    ~~Dj~~
    Main System:
    Onkyo TX-SV717PRO
    Onkyo Integra M-504
    Onkyo Integra EQ-540
    Pioneer CT-F1250
    Micro Seiki DD-40
    Polk Audio 5A's 10A's

Quote Originally Posted by Deathjester View Post
    I am soooooo drooling over those.. Now if my Onkyo's could only make lightning!!!
    I knew that 1st photo was going to be a hit:)

I used the night feature on my camera.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Nice amps!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I would get a bunch of extra fuses. For whatever reason I went through lots of fuses with my Rogue.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Common ground is a requirement for the speakers to work properly. There is no way out of it. Either a common ground amp, tying together the negative outputs of the amp, tying together the negative posts of the speakers, or using the special AI-1 interconnect. If you're not doing this (and you are using the normal inteconnect between the speakers), the speakers are not working propperly, you are not getting the SDA effect as it should be, and you might fry something.

Had to say it.

Very nice amps by the way.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Common ground is a requirement for the speakers to work properly. There is no way out of it. Either a common ground amp, tying together the negative outputs of the amp, tying together the negative posts of the speakers, or using the special AI-1 interconnect. If you're not doing this (and you are using the normal inteconnect between the speakers), the speakers are not working propperly, you are not getting the SDA effect as it should be, and you might fry something.

Had to say it.

Very nice amps by the way.
    Absolutely true...............I would be VERY interested to see how it was determined they didn't have to be common ground. You might not be doing damage instantly, but I bet some issues will crop up later with both the amps and/or speakers.

There really is no way around it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Great amps, Chris!!!

Default Playing it Safe

Thanks for the advice inspiredsports, Ricardo, heiney9 (and all others). You guys are a wealth of knowledge! I took my equipment to a service shop and had them to run diagnostics just to be safe. No damage to anything.

I've connected my RTi12s to these blocks while I await "written" correspondence from both manufacturers. They too, sound very nice with these blocks (much brighter than the 1.2TLs).

In the meantime, to err on the side of caution, I will get an AI-1 made and go from there.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by toucanet View Post
    Thanks for the advice inspiredsports, Ricardo, heiney9 (and all others). You guys are a wealth of knowledge! I took my equipment to a service shop and had them to run diagnostics just to be safe. No damage to anything.

I've connected my RTi12s to these blocks while I await "written" correspondence from both manufacturers. They too, sound very nice with these blocks (much brighter than the 1.2TLs).

In the meantime, to err on the side of caution, I will get an AI-1 made and go from there.

Cheers
    Did you send the manufacturer's a FULL set of schematics both L and R channels so they understand what is going on? The term "common ground" can mean a few different things in the audio world. We are familiar with it in relation to SDA's, but many aren't.

The schematics can be found here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55888

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Very nice!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Awesome. Congrats on your new toys.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Get yourself a Rogue Model 99 Preamp with the Magnum upgrades. Then you'll really be cooking!
    Carl

Thread Information