Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default need some advice for my set up!

HI, fist time writing here.

my current set up is a polk audio rm705 complete system that im using with my sony receiver str-dn1000. i just order two polk monitor 70 and i know that my center channel is not going to be any good now so next week im planning on getting the cs2 center channel, but i don't know if my other four satellite speakers will be good for surround and rear speakers. so what do u guys think i should do?? should i keep them as surround speakers or go and get something like the monitor 30's? are the rm705 good enuf for rear speakers?? or should i get something else??

any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Eddie8; 06-13-2010 at 02:52 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sorry for answering with out an answer, but depending on your room and listening tastes, they could satisfy. Since you already have them, relax a little and give them a listen. Then you will know for sure.

BTW Welcome to CP stick around and enjoy.
    Last edited by apphd; 06-13-2010 at 09:25 AM.

I'm with A on this one, give them a listen and see if you need something bigger. You should be able to adjust volume level in your receiver so try that, unless you really want a larger speaker in the rear. Welcome to CP bro, and congrats on your 70's.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Quote Originally Posted by apphd View Post
    Sorry for answering with out an answer, but depending on your room and listening tastes, they could satisfy. Since you already have them, relax a little and give them a listen. Then you will know for sure.

BTW Welcome to CP stick around and enjoy.
    hey thanks for the replay, that's what i was going to do because i don't have the extra money right now for the rear speakers ( Maybe in a couple of months), but my problem is that im really a newbie on this Home theater thing so i dont know if i will be missing something on the rm705 speakers, you know is like even if i give them a listen and i like how they sound, i still won't know how much better it will sound with others speakers. i know that with the monitor 30's i will have an improvement because they are better speakers but i don't if it's worth spending the money for the improvement i will have.

As for my room i don't know the exact numbers but is something like 24X15 size room with like a 8 to 9 feet ceiling.

I would keep what you have for now and see what you think. The surrounds and rear speakers do not need to be very big really. There is very little sound coming out of them most of the time. The only real need in my opinion for an upgrade in the surrounds it if you listen to a lot of multichannel music. Other then that I would stick with what you have for now.

The better investment in my opinion would be a good sub. Especially if you are in to HT. What sub do you have now?
    Front - RTiA5's
    Rear - RTiA3's
    Center - CSiA4
    Sub - PSW110

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    I'm with A on this one, give them a listen and see if you need something bigger. You should be able to adjust volume level in your receiver so try that, unless you really want a larger speaker in the rear. Welcome to CP bro, and congrats on your 70's.
    thanks

yeah i think im going to have to adjust the volume level because i really don't want the front speakers to overpower the rear. what do u thing is a good point to start?

The best advice is to just sit down and claibrate them. If it appears that the 70s are overpowering your other speakers just bring that volume down.
    Your not going to miss a thing because you havn't heard any other speakers.
    I would just wait until you get more money, poke around on the forums and look at what other people run and see if they have stuff similar to yours.
    Wait for price drops new eggs has them all the time.
    Get the 40 instead of the 30s. Its a big improvement, if sound is what you want. As for your center, leave it it will be fine.
    Wait awhile and just snoop.

I have the polk subwooofer PSW 505. it is practical and it will fill a decent size room.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Polk Audio PSW 505
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

PS3
    Samsung 42" 450 Series.

Quote Originally Posted by packetjones View Post
    I would keep what you have for now and see what you think. The surrounds and rear speakers do not need to be very big really. There is very little sound coming out of them most of the time. The only real need in my opinion for an upgrade in the surrounds it if you listen to a lot of multichannel music. Other then that I would stick with what you have for now.

The better investment in my opinion would be a good sub. Especially if you are in to HT. What sub do you have now?
    i have the sub that came with the rm705 system it looks just like the psw111 but is just 50watts, but the little sucker is really good is shakes all the wall went im waching movies it really surprise me how strong it is at half volumen.

do you really thing i need a better sub with the m70''s, i read some reviews that said that the m70's dont even need a sub.

If your sub now does what you say it does, you won't need to upgrade. I have monitor 50s and they give me surprising bass. I think your 70s and the one you have now will be fine.
    Until the upgrade bug hits you. ha.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Polk Audio PSW 505
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

PS3
    Samsung 42" 450 Series.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectCreature View Post
    The best advice is to just sit down and claibrate them. If it appears that the 70s are overpowering your other speakers just bring that volume down.
    Your not going to miss a thing because you havn't heard any other speakers.
    I would just wait until you get more money, poke around on the forums and look at what other people run and see if they have stuff similar to yours.
    Wait for price drops new eggs has them all the time.
    Get the 40 instead of the 30s. Its a big improvement, if sound is what you want. As for your center, leave it it will be fine.
    Wait awhile and just snoop.

I have the polk subwooofer PSW 505. it is practical and it will fill a decent size room.
    thanks for the advise, yeah newegg is the best i got the m70's for $149.
    so u thing that my current center channel is fine?

the only problem for me with the m'40 is that they are really big for rear speakers that's what i heard, and that they can't be wall mount.
    my other option for rear are the owm3.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie8 View Post
    hey thanks for the replay, that's what i was going to do because i don't have the extra money right now for the rear speakers ( Maybe in a couple of months), but my problem is that im really a newbie on this Home theater thing so i dont know if i will be missing something on the rm705 speakers, you know is like even if i give them a listen and i like how they sound, i still won't know how much better it will sound with others speakers. i know that with the monitor 30's i will have an improvement because they are better speakers but i don't if it's worth spending the money for the improvement i will have.

As for my room i don't know the exact numbers but is something like 24X15 size room with like a 8 to 9 feet ceiling.
    Are you sure you want to start down this path?:p There is always, ALWAYS, something out there to spend our money on, for real improvement, or just to find out. Also keep in mind when you improve on something, it usually just shows you the next weakest link that you will need to upgrade. Not that any of this is bad, and actually can be fun. But we sometimes forget to just sit back and enjoy what we have. If you like it using the RM's spend some time enjoying it and saving up the coin for your next step. Maybe it will be speakers maybe somewhere else. Plus the time you spend with it now gives you the chance to get your ears on other equipment, and to identify where your priorities are as the next upgrade. Enjoy the ride:)

Are you sure you want to start down this path?:p There is always, ALWAYS, something out there to spend our money on, for real improvement, or just to find out. Also keep in mind when you improve on something, it usually just shows you the next weakest link that you will need to upgrade.:)
    Upgrading is so much fun though! It progressively keeps you busy and creates a lot of fun and surprising options.

Welcome to Club Polk. You will enjoy your Monitor 70's when you get them.
    The RM7's throw out pretty good sound and will work ok as surround speakers.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC122, MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201, MCD301, MR85, MX130, MX134
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

Are you sure you want to start down this path?:p There is always, ALWAYS, something out there to spend our money on, for real improvement, or just to find out. Also keep in mind when you improve on something, it usually just shows you the next weakest link that you will need to upgrade. Not that any of this is bad, and actually can be fun. But we sometimes forget to just sit back and enjoy what we have. If you like it using the RM's spend some time enjoying it and saving up the coin for your next step. Maybe it will be speakers maybe somewhere else. Plus the time you spend with it now gives you the chance to get your ears on other equipment, and to identify where your priorities are as the next upgrade. Enjoy the ride:)
    yeah u are right i just got too excited:D, i just need to relax and enjoy them. im not going to buy any rear speakers for now unless i see an unbelievable deal.

but not so sure about the center channel :D

i see the cs2 on newegg for $120 should i way for a price drop?
    or this will be the lowest it gets?
    Last edited by Eddie8; 06-13-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    Welcome to Club Polk. You will enjoy your Monitor 70's when you get them.
    The RM7's throw out pretty good sound and will work ok as surround speakers.
    thanks,

you are right they are not bad at all! this are going to be surround speakers:)

Thread Information