Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Logitech Transporter or Squeezebox Duet/Touch w/DAC

Does anyone have experience with a Logitech Transporter?

The Transporter has a lot of appeal with its solid construction, linear PS, dual displays (VU meters & Track/Title) AKM4396 DAC (44.1k, 48k & 96k), and balanced outputs. It is said to have a level of quality of a typical $1500-2000 DAC; maybe even a bit better than a Benchmark DAC.

Currently I have a Squeezebox Duet using its audio (RCA analogue) output, and I'm very satisfied. I have A-B compared, ripped (.flac) CD's to the original CD played on a Sony ES player and can distinguish no difference in the sound.

I can note a difference in sound quality when SACD's are played on the Sony SACD ES player vs Red Book CDs though. I'm wondering if an upgrade to a digital player that will allow 24 bit 96 kHz (approaching the SACD kbps rate) will provide a similar improved listening experience, as well as keep the convenience of digital served music at my finger tips (via Squeezebox Controller).

My understanding is the digital output of the Squeezebox Duet is limited to 48k, so just adding an external DAC to the Duet would not provide the improvement the Logitech Transporter or Squeezebox Touch could provide; both of which are capable of handling the 96khz HDTracks.

Curious what others have experienced and would recommend. Will just adding a better DAC to the Duet significantly improve the Red Book CD experience? What is your favorite DAC?

Transporter Link

Logitech Network Hardware Comparison
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES

you won't go wrong with a cambridge dacmagic and squeezebox duet combo.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

The DACmagic is a nice, inexpensive unit.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasito View Post
    you won't go wrong with a cambridge dacmagic and squeezebox duet combo.
    +1........

The analog section of any SQB leaves a lot to be desired if you are looking for serious audiophile sound. Hooking it to an external DAC is the hot ticket. I've had one for almost 2 years now and it sounds fantastic. They are durable and easy to use and the convenience factor is simply off the charts.

I also have a dvdp in my rack hooked to the same DAC and I almost never spin a single cd anymore. It's just as fast to rip it to my computer HD in FLAC as it is to power up the player in the rack.

The dacMagic is nice little unit for the price.

H9

P.s. I just bought a Bolder modded ELPAC power brick to replace the cheesy switching wallwart power supply. This should yield even better performance.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by eeagle View Post

Curious what others have experienced and would recommend. Will just adding a better DAC to the Duet significantly improve the Red Book CD experience? What is your favorite DAC?

Transporter Link

Logitech Network Hardware Comparison
    Yes, by a lot. I use a heavily modified Adcom GDA600. Even in stock form the GDA600 was a whole lot better than the analog output of the SQB. I would never use the SQB as a stand alone unit.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have heard the new touch analog is actually pretty good almost as good as the transporter..but that the digital out is better is better than previous sb so going touch and adding a dac might be the way to go.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Member Sales Rating: (31)

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

For stand alone use(no DAC)I would expect you could squeeze more performance out of these devices with some well thought out mod's to the analog and power supply sections.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by eeagle View Post
    My understanding is the digital output of the Squeezebox Duet is limited to 48k, so just adding an external DAC to the Duet would not provide the improvement the Logitech Transporter or Squeezebox Touch could provide; both of which are capable of handling the 96khz HDTracks.
    Has anyone used/heard a Touch and compared it to the Duet receiver?
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I have a Touch but have not heard a Duet. I am using the analog out into my integrated and it sounds OK, I still can't put my finger on the sound yet. I need to play with it some more using my DAC.

Come give it a listen Ed if you would like.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

That sounds great, Scott. I'll bring my Duet receiver and we can A/B 'em. I'll have to see when I have some free time and I'll get in touch with you.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

About using an external DAC - I'm assuming these are essentially "upgrades" over the internal DACs of any given component, be it a network music player like the Squeezebox, or a CD player, correct? Also, would your digital music have to be in a higher quality (perhaps lossless) format in order to appreciate an upgraded DAC?

Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    About using an external DAC - I'm assuming these are essentially "upgrades" over the internal DACs of any given component, be it a network music player like the Squeezebox, or a CD player, correct? Also, would your digital music have to be in a higher quality (perhaps lossless) format in order to appreciate an upgraded DAC?
    Yes and definitely yes!

Thanks everyone for the great advice and insight. The DacMagic has been on my short list as a possibility; I may have to just click on over to AudioAdvisor and order one up!

The link (Face) included did have some actual owner participation and has made me feel the Transporter may not offer the sound and flexibility a stand alone DAC would offer. It would also appear Transporter ownership within the Polk forum is quite small for this reason as well. The DacMagic ATF (Adaptive Time Filtering) may be just the ticket to bring my Duet well beyond what I am currently experiencing. The concept of using it on the computer, PS3, or future Touch is a big plus as well.

I have noted the power supply upgrade (heiney9) and even internal Duet mods (FTGV) as possible upgrades as well. Thx
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES

Does anybody know of a power supply upgrade for the dacmagic?

Thread Information