Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Default Question about Digital Cables

Ok, first of all to set things straight this is directed to cable believers; IE you believe that a quality cable will yield better results.

So before I go on further, if you think it's all snake-oil then I ask that you refrain from commenting so it doesn't turn into a huge argument. If there's something you'd like to add that will help out, then by all means go ahead otherwise shut your face :D

Now, when it came to HDMI a simple $5 dollar cable from monoprice always did the trick for me. Why's it any different when it comes to Optical/coaxial cables since they send signal in digital form as well? I'm not FOR or AGAINST, just a little confused on it and would like to hear what other's thoughts are on this. And if a quality digital cable can provide better quality, can the same be said for a USB cable when hooked up from a computer to let's say a Logitech Squeezebox/touch or even a Peachtree integrated?
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I bought a USB cable from Kimber for my computer-to-Peachtree setup I have. I couldn't really hear a difference between the kimber and stock USB that came with it. I tend to be in the "cables matter for analog" camp, but i'm on the fence with digital cables (provided they meet minimal quality requirements).

I have been meaning to try my stock usb cable again to see if i could hear a difference (for worse or not), but i haven't yet because i like my current sound.

I emailed Signal Path to ask if they had a recommended USB cable (since i was curious what they'd say). The email reply from the customer service rep merely relayed some anecdotal recommendations (I.E. "I've heard Kimber makes a good USB cable").

Conclusion: I like my Kimber USB cable (~$50 for 1m), but i'm not sure if it was leaps and bounds better. I was making a lot of changes at the time (got a new amp too and tried some Signal Cable analog ICs around the same time) and really can't pinpoint anything

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Thread Information