Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amplifier Info

stami

Default Amplifier Info

Hi !
    I'm planning to use 3 MM100.
    I want to run them in parallel. Which amplifier is best for this ? The "Digital" Amps are mostly rated for 1 Ohm use . E.g. 1000 w at 1 Ohm. I think, that such amps are underpowered for this use, because they would give 250 W per Speaker. A other solution i thought of, is to use 3 Jl amps reted at 500w each. This is of course a expensive solution. But that's not the point. I need a compact Class-d solution, because i run out of space.
    Any suggestions ?

Polk Customer Service
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

Stami,
    I would suggest looking at amplifiers from Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, MTX, Kicker's ZR series, and Zapco. If your goal is sound quality, then I would suggest using class "AB" amplifiers that have a power rating of 800 to 1000 Watts.
    Another consideration is to obtain 1 more MM100 and wire the 4
    woofers in a series / parallel to obtain a 4 Ohm Mono load.
    By keeping the load or impedance at 4 Ohms, this will keep the damping factor high and have better control of the woofers cones. From a sonic standpoint, the system will have better bass detail and pitch. It won't have that "Hard Quality" that you will find when the subs are configured into a very low impedance.
    Plus this will not stress the ampllifiers output stage and the amp will run cooler.
    If you have any questions feel free to give us a call at 800-377-7655 between the hours of 9 AM to 6 PM eastern time and we will be glad to help.

Thanks,
    Kim, Polk Audio

Thread Information