Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Default Straight Analog vs. LPCM HDMI (Audyssey) output

This is sort of interesting evolution on my part: on Redbook play, I've been drifting more and more in preferring to listen to LPCM via HDMI with Audyssey engaged on the Marantz AV-8003. The sonic signature that I noticed to draw me more is the forwardness, top-end sparkle, higher resolution (perceived perhaps) ,better imaging/soundstage especially with female vocals, which sounds like the vocalist is standing in front of me. I used Signal Analog II I/C and Monoprice HDMI, and the source is Modwright Oppo BDP-83. Speaks are Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanding.

Anyone care to enlighten me on the why, or whether it was due to my preference/hearing has actually changing? Straight through analog has always been my default in the past few years. The only recent changes in my system is replacing the source from a Modded tube buffer output stage Philips SACD1000 with the Modwright Oppo.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I can't be sure, but I think the Marantz uses Burr Brown 1791 DACs and the Oppo SE uses the 'new' Sabre DACs.

But - as we all know 'new' does not mean better and that SQ is the result of the overall design of the analog output stage - not just DACs.

Then, there is system synergy to consider - and most importantly - what you like better.

I have not heard the Oppo SE or the Marantz, but I have gone on my own quest for what is best to me.

My AVR does a decent job with its DACs, but I still prefer the detail, precision, and spaciousness of my Cambridge 640c v2.

I even tried a mid priced Bel Canto DAC2 external DAC to my Oppo thinking that would be better than my CDP - but with the same source CD and the same cabling to both - the Cambridge was the choice for me.

Specs and reviews are a bit like the "Pirates Code" from Pirates of the Carribean - they're more like 'guidelines'...arrrrr....not gospel truth.

Trust your ears.

Now - if you want to sell that Oppo SE - let me know - I may be interested! :D

[Edit]Link to AV8003 http://www.hometheatermag.com/preampprocessors/1008mar/
    DACs are Cirrus Logic CS4382A
    Last edited by Erik Tracy; 06-19-2010 at 03:59 PM.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Thread Information