Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: squeezebox

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    3,034

    Default squeezebox

    i finally pulled the trigger! got the classic. does anybody use online storage for music? i'm sure i'll have lot's of questions;):)


    thanks
    mike

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    260

    Default

    I got the duet a while ago, and I love it. I only use the internet radio stuff thus far, and the setup is really, really good.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sda2mike View Post
    i finally pulled the trigger! got the classic. does anybody use online storage for music? i'm sure i'll have lot's of questions;):)


    thanks
    mike
    No. Are you looking to stream from the on-line storage site or just use it as a back up for all of your ripped music you store locally?

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    No. Are you looking to stream from the on-line storage site or just use it as a back up for all of your ripped music you store locally?

    H9
    i was thinking space-wise...i'd probably need an outboard hard drive to store all of my tunes in FLAC

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sda2mike View Post
    i was thinking space-wise...i'd probably need an outboard hard drive to store all of my tunes in FLAC
    I would recommend a 500GB or more external drive. 500GB is A LOT of music even in FLAC. But it's imperative you back up your music as your library grows because if the drive fails you're back to square one and have to start all over. You could store you back-ups off site. I wouldn't stream from an off site storage site. You can get very good 500G HD's for about $60-75.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    I would recommend a 500GB or more external drive. 500GB is A LOT of music even in FLAC. But it's imperative you back up your music as your library grows because if the drive fails you're back to square one and have to start all over. You could store you back-ups off site. I wouldn't stream from an off site storage site. You can get very good 500G HD's for about $60-75.

    H9
    wow! thats not too bad...thanks H9;)

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    260

    Default

    I just a deal for a 1TB HD for $39 after a mail in rebate. Tigerdirect or something similar...

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    how much is 1tb?

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (18)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central MA
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    If you can, get a NAS with good backup abilities. Perhaps a NAS with a raid. I think you need a NAS that can run a slimserver.

    I don't have a squeezebox but use an Xbox/XBMC and a NAS for storage. I can access all my music and videos off the NAS from either of my two XBMC machines and the various laptops throughout the house. Each machine accesses the XBMC using SMB.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maximillian View Post
    If you can, get a NAS with good backup abilities. Perhaps a NAS with a raid. I think you need a NAS that can run a slimserver.

    I don't have a squeezebox but use an Xbox/XBMC and a NAS for storage. I can access all my music and videos off the NAS from either of my two XBMC machines and the various laptops throughout the house. Each machine accesses the XBMC using SMB.
    Qnap is the only NAS that can run the Squeezebox WITHOUT your PC. Other NAS units will certainly work, but the QNAP will utilize the SQB software.

    NAS units while they are the most ideal as far as secure data are very exepensive, especially if you want to do it right with something like Raid 5. DKG999 and my brother both use the QNAP. Expect to spend about $1K for the QNAP server and (4) 1TB drives.

    You can cheap out and get cheaper 0.5TB drives, but you'll only be saving a couple hundred $$$. I want to get a QNAP because I think it's the absolute best solution but I can't justify $1K for it.

    Actually you can probably do it for about $750. The one DKG999 bought is the upper model. Which suits his needs because he uses it for other things beside just a music storage device. His has the faster processor. You can get the next model down however and it would do a great job as well.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    FL, Space Coast
    Posts
    217

    Default

    I use a Seagate Expansion 2.0 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive

    Pick one up at Amazon for $140 shipped sometimes even less.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (19)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Kansas City KS/Central IA
    Posts
    5,622

    Default

    I went with the QNAP TS-459 Pro because my NAS will support more than just music storage. I have a growing number of digital photos between myself and my daughter, and want other storage and internet login capabilities to support my businesses.

    With all the work it takes to rip, tag, organize and store your music collection I wouldn't cheap out on back-up storage. I also wouldn't look at a NAS server as just a music-only investment, as the ability to connect via wireless to my NAS from any laptop or other pc and have a common storage place for files, then be to get to those files via the internet, is just unbelievably nice.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

    Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sconnie
    Posts
    11,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sda2mike View Post
    how much is 1tb?
    1 Terabyte = 1,000 Gigabytes.

    I can't wait for Petabytes. :D

    1 Bit = Binary Digit
    8 Bits = 1 Byte
    1000 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte
    1000 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte
    1000 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte
    1000 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte
    1000 Terabytes = 1 Petabyte
    1000 Petabytes = 1 Exabyte
    1000 Exabytes = 1 Zettabyte
    1000 Zettabytes = 1 Yottabyte
    1000 Yottabytes = 1 Brontobyte
    1000 Brontobytes = 1 Geopbyte

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middle of nowhere, Va.
    Posts
    300

    Default

    This will keep you going for a while. Not bad for $90.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148406
    It's all in the detail.


    HT Setup:
    Samsung PN50D550
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Samsung BD-D6700
    Fronts: RTi10's
    Center: CSi5
    Side surrounds: RC65i's
    Rear surrounds: FXiA4's
    Sub: Velodyne CT120
    Outdoor: Atrium 45's


    Pictures here

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sconnie
    Posts
    11,808

    Default

    I just realized sda2mike probably meant how much does 1TB cost, not how big it is. :o

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    I just realized sda2mike probably meant how much does 1TB cost, not how big it is. :o
    no..i was asking about size;) turns out a tb is beeg!

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sda2mike View Post
    no..i was asking about size;) turns out a tb is beeg!
    It is! The thing you have to realize with the SQB software is you can only assign one folder which means one drive so if you buy a smaller drive and fill it up you can't just address another drive.

    The Squeeze Touch does have a USB connection so you can swap drives, but I'm not sure how that works or what the access time is, etc.

    So buy at least a 500GB or better yet a 1TB then you never have to worry especially if you will use the drive for other stuff besides music storage.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    FL, Space Coast
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    It is! The thing you have to realize with the SQB software is you can only assign one folder which means one drive so if you buy a smaller drive and fill it up you can't just address another drive.

    So buy at least a 500GB or better yet a 1TB then you never have to worry especially if you will use the drive for other stuff besides music storage.

    H9
    There is a workaround for this limitation. Simply place a "shortcut" to any other directory or drive on your computer or network, in the directory/folder you set for the SQB Server and the Server software will scan it too.

    HD space is inexpensive so go for a large drive.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    The Squeeze Touch does have a USB connection so you can swap drives, but I'm not sure how that works or what the access time is, etc.

    So buy at least a 500GB or better yet a 1TB then you never have to worry especially if you will use the drive for other stuff besides music storage.

    H9

    The Touch accesses music on the drives fairly quickly...it reads through the files just as quickly as any standard laptop, then it's ready to go! I picked up a couple 2TB drives, but the NAS solution looks like it would be much better long-term.

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,185

    Default

    The NAS is the best solution, but the most expensive as well.

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (19)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Kansas City KS/Central IA
    Posts
    5,622

    Default

    With the QNAP NAS I just setup you can have up to 4 2TB drives, which with 8TB total in a RAID5 config I think you get 3.7TB or so of usable space. I went with 4 1TB drives initially which gives me around 2.6TB of usable space. When 2TB drive costs and reliability improves I'll go with them at some point.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

    Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkg999 View Post
    With the QNAP NAS I just setup you can have up to 4 2TB drives, which with 8TB total in a RAID5 config I think you get 3.7TB or so of usable space. I went with 4 1TB drives initially which gives me around 2.6TB of usable space. When 2TB drive costs and reliability improves I'll go with them at some point.
    Sorry to go off-topic from the OP...this solution is pretty intriguing though.

    dkg...can you point me in the right direction on this?

    With the NAS solution, can I designate certain folders as accessible to everyone who can access my wireless network (movies, music, some pictures...for any laptop or AppleTV...which will be replaced with a HTPC in the near future), while designating other folders (documents for work) as password protected?

    With the NAS solution, would I be able to access these folders while traveling?

    I have been considering cloud services for data storage, but the cost isn't necessarily reasonable for 4TB of data...most of which is movies that I don't need to access while traveling. I would still be concerned with the loss of data if my house burned down while traveling, but this certainly looks to be a better solution than stacks of external hard drives. Appreciate any thoughts....

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Ok.
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swegyptian View Post
    I just a deal for a 1TB HD for $39 after a mail in rebate. Tigerdirect or something similar...
    I almost pulled the trigger on that one. It just keeps getting ridiculouser and ridiculouser.


    Quote Originally Posted by sda2mike View Post
    how much is 1tb?
    about 3000 cd's in lossless unless my math lobe is failing.

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (19)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Kansas City KS/Central IA
    Posts
    5,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szhleppy View Post
    Sorry to go off-topic from the OP...this solution is pretty intriguing though.

    dkg...can you point me in the right direction on this?

    With the NAS solution, can I designate certain folders as accessible to everyone who can access my wireless network (movies, music, some pictures...for any laptop or AppleTV...which will be replaced with a HTPC in the near future), while designating other folders (documents for work) as password protected?

    With the NAS solution, would I be able to access these folders while traveling?

    I have been considering cloud services for data storage, but the cost isn't necessarily reasonable for 4TB of data...most of which is movies that I don't need to access while traveling. I would still be concerned with the loss of data if my house burned down while traveling, but this certainly looks to be a better solution than stacks of external hard drives. Appreciate any thoughts....
    I am a novice at this, but this is what I think I know and have learned. With the QNAP NAS you can create users and assign user permissions and rules. I haven't looked at password protection yet. As long as you have a static IP address externally, you can login from the internet and get to your data. There are so many options in the QNAP interface it's almost mind-boggling. You can also set it up as an SFTP server, wireless printer interface, etc. I would google QNAP and spend some time on their website. I bought mine based on reading the info on the website and recommendations of other CP members.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

    Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkg999 View Post
    I am a novice at this, but this is what I think I know and have learned. With the QNAP NAS you can create users and assign user permissions and rules. I haven't looked at password protection yet. As long as you have a static IP address externally, you can login from the internet and get to your data. There are so many options in the QNAP interface it's almost mind-boggling. You can also set it up as an SFTP server, wireless printer interface, etc. I would google QNAP and spend some time on their website. I bought mine based on reading the info on the website and recommendations of other CP members.
    Thanks dkg...I took a look at their website and it's a little overwhelming. I'll take a closer look when I get back from vacation next week...probably start by searching through other CP member posts on this topic. Looks like a great tool and would love to hear more updates as you spend more time with it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Here is why I use a Squeezebox
    By nspindel in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 07:45 PM
  2. For Sale Squeezebox Duet
    By Marty913 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 04:29 AM
  3. Squeezebox and flac
    By Polkitup2 in forum Electronics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
  4. FS: White Squeezebox
    By Gaara in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 08:01 AM
  5. Squeezebox 3
    By Hi-Buy in forum Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts