Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Hello pre amp goodbye avr

Wow what a difference.Today I picked up an adcom gtp-400 for 15.00 just to see what would happen.Night and day.I guess i will be eating bologna for a while.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Just wait till you upgrade to the GFP-750!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by cnoat View Post
    Wow what a difference.Today I picked up an adcom gtp-400 for 15.00 just to see what would happen.Night and day.I guess i will be eating bologna for a while.
    It all depends on the AVR. ;)
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    It all depends on the AVR. ;)
    true dat.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

AVR's Suck!!! I will take a good Pre anyday of the week with a good amp..

AVR's are good for HT, for 2 channel fogetaboutit.

For the record this is my opinon from my experience.
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

When I switched to a dedicated pre I was really pleased with the sound. One of those upgrades that is immediately obvious. I went from a Harmon Kardon to a Vincent tube pre.

Decent Prepros cost more than some high end AVRs, which I don't quite get since prepros have no real need for costly amplification sections. Good AVRs are close to most prepros in clean sound, but prepros offer better configuration and sound field equalization.

It's the cost that keeps us from getting them though...

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    AVR's Suck!!! I will take a good Pre anyday of the week with a good amp..

AVR's are good for HT, for 2 channel fogetaboutit.

For the record this is my opinon from my experience.
    Blanket statements just don't cut it when it comes to audio gear. Unless you've listened to every AVR out there, then your opinion about AVR's only being good for HT should be prefaced by which one's (or maybe only one) you actually listened to. Then your opinion counts but only on stated model/s.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Blanket statements just don't cut it when it comes to audio gear. Unless you've listened to every AVR out there, then your opinion about AVR's only being good for HT should be prefaced by which one's (or maybe only one) you actually listened to. Then your opinion counts but only on stated model/s.

Hence the last part of my statement I'm sure there are higher end AVR's that work very well.
    Last edited by Toolfan66; 07-13-2010 at 07:49 AM.
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Hence the last part of my statement I'm sure there are higher end AVR's that work very well.
    I understand what you meant by your statement (the one's you tried you didn't like) but other new comers to the forum can only read it one way...that you think all AVR's suck for 2 channel. Your last statement (along w/ your initial statement) only reinforces that your opinion is that all AVR's suck for 2 channel.

Something like I tried brand x/y/z AVR's along w/ model #'s & I didn't like the way they performed in 2 channel mode would be helpful. :)
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I wonder where the Pioneer Elite 05 falls within the pantheon of AVRs...as far as using as a pre(?). I think my next purchase is going to be a dedicated pre w/ HT bypass to connect to my SC-05...
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP PJ
    Pioneer SC-05 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall A70.2 Integrated
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

I understand what you meant by your statement (the one's you tried you didn't like) but other new comers to the forum can only read it one way...that you think all AVR's suck for 2 channel. Your last statement (along w/ your initial statement) only reinforces that your opinion is that all AVR's suck for 2 channel.

Something like I tried brand x/y/z AVR's along w/ model #'s & I didn't like the way they performed in 2 channel mode would be helpful. :)
    Agreed!! I'm just hooked on my 2 channel set-up.

I have the Pioneer SC-07 and that is what runs my HT. I have also Had a Yamaha RXV-863, an Oynko, and JVC receivers. The JVC was the worst but it was a lower end one as well.

Having these receivers in my 2 channel rig at the time I thought sounded great. But as soon as I went to a dedicated pre it was a night and day change in SQ.

So with this said I love my Pioneer SC-07 just not in my 2 channel rig. I plan to get another pre with HT bypass for my HT set-up.
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (16)

9 times out of 10 a dedicated pre amp will sound better than an AVR. If it doesn't then it's time to find a new dedicated pre amp. There are some great sounding AVR's out there that can pull double duty to a certain degree, but it's still a compromise using an AVR as a pre in a 2 ch system.

YMMV

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

There are a few AVR's that are worth looking at. Most cost lots of $$$ and are out of my price range.

The problem I have with them is that with new versions of DD, DTS and HDMI you have to upgrade you AVR, which means buying a new amp stage. I like having the Pre and Amp separate so when you do decide to buy that new Super Duper what ever new technology comes out next you can keep your amp.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Member Sales Rating: (1)

love my adcom...

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    9 times out of 10 a dedicated pre amp will sound better than an AVR. If it doesn't then it's time to find a new dedicated pre amp. There are some great sounding AVR's out there that can pull double duty to a certain degree, but it's still a compromise using an AVR as a pre in a 2 ch system.

YMMV

H9
    I have to agree. Having a Yammah and then a SC-05 AVR and using them for 2 channel even with dedicated amps just didn't cut it for me. Pre was the way to go in terms of sound quality as my choice.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Given the same price point a 2 channel preamp will destroy an avr or a pre/pro....it only makes sense. If it doesn't then that is one overpriced preamp.

Regards,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I have been experimenting with the AVR versus Pre/Pro combination's here.
    The components compared are the Pioneer VSX-23txh receiver, a Parasound AVC-2500 five channel pre/pro, and a Parasound C-2 seven channel pre/pro.
    All three units were driving a Parasound HCA-2205AT external amplifier.

The Pioneer and the Parasond 2500 were compared directly to one another the same days (multiple) and with identical hookups, sources and speakers.
    A month or so later the 2500 gave up the ghost and I moved on to the C-2.

The C-2 was also directly compared to the Pioneer over several different days using the same equipment as above.

The winner to my ears and not surprisingly is the C-2, but not by any sizable margins.The Parasound AVC-2500 performed extremely well and I would place the overall performance of the unit in the same league as the C-2.

The surprising part I found was the excellent performance obtained by the Pio receiver in two channel against the two Parasound units as a comparison. Using the receiver in pure direct mode with an external dac the short comings were few and I felt the performance was at least very good in every area.

My conclusions were that acceptable (read: very good) two channel performance could be obtained with the receiver in analogue. When using the internal dac of the receiver and inputing the same source as prior. Drop off, loss of quality, was considerable and touched on several different aspects that I consider when critical listening. My observation seems to fly in the face of the general consensus on receiver's two channel performance versus a quality Pre/Pro. <YMMV>

A preamp's job is really straight forward, to pass a signal from the source to the amp without altering the sound. In audiophile lingo the best preamp is "no preamp". If your adding a preamp that alters the signal (tubes especially because they add flavor & soul :)) then it is up to you to decide if you like the new sound or not. But it does not make it a better sound by definition, simply a sound that you may or may not prefer. A quality AVR is quite capable of passing a sound unaltered from point A to B.

Now I just added some soul & flavor to my system by adding in the Music Hall dac25.2. The results have been nothing short of spectacular. I am really enjoying the new sound created by the tube dac running thru my NAD AVR unaltered. I don't want the pre adding any of it's own sonic character & masking the dac 25.2's (or any other source) musical presentation.

My belief is that the pre should be as neutral as possible so you can fully appreciate what music signal is passing thru it. Other wise you have a hodge-podge of sounds all blending together not knowing the strenghts of each.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

A quality AVR is quite capable of passing a sound unaltered from point A to B.
    No it's not, even direct modes pass the signal through many unnecessary circuits. It's inherent in the design of an AVR, to isolate and pass the signal unaltered would cost a lot of money............more than it would be worth in an AVR.

Other wise you have a hodge-podge of sounds all blending together not knowing the strengths of each.
    In all my years in this hobby I've never found that to be true. But then I've carefully assembled systems.

I'm not at all saying you can't achieve pretty good sound using an AVR as a preamp, but it will never compete sonically with a well designed dedicated 2ch preamp. An AVR's main design function is to compromise.

Anyways, that's how I see it. I'm not saying noobs who read this thread should disregard using a nice AVR as a pre if it fits what they are trying to achieve in building a combo HT/2ch music system. But I'm also not going to give the impression an AVR can compete with a nice dedicated preamp, it can't and won't by it's intended design.

Perhaps there is a small handful of very high end, highly expensive AVR's out there that will do a good job as a 2 ch preamp, maybe even as good of a job as a nice dedicated preamp. But in the end you've invested a huge amount of $$$ to achieve that. Perhaps not the best way to use a budget unless your funds are unlimited.

YMMV

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 07-14-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    No it's not, even direct modes pass the signal through many unnecessary circuits. It's inherent in the design of an AVR, to isolate and pass the signal unaltered would cost a lot of money............more than it would be worth in an AVR.

In all my years in this hobby I've never found that to be true. But then I've carefully assembled systems.

I'm not at all saying you can't achieve pretty good sound using an AVR as a preamp, but it will never compete sonically with a well designed dedicated 2ch preamp. An AVR's main design function is to compromise.

Anyways, that's how I see it. I'm not saying noobs who read this thread should disregard using a nice AVR as a pre if it fits what they are trying to achieve in building a combo HT/2ch music system. But I'm also not going to give the impression an AVR can compete with a nice dedicated preamp, it can't and won't by it's intended design.

Perhaps there is a small handful of very high end, highly expensive AVR's out there that will do a good job as a 2 ch preamp, maybe even as good of a job as a nice dedicated preamp. But in the end you've invested a huge amount of $$$ to achieve that. Perhaps not the best way to use a budget unless your funds are unlimited.

YMMV

H9
    All good points but it still comes down to real world listening sessions. At which time all design theories & specs get thrown right out the window. One's ears are the ultimate judge.

My experience is limited to two quality pre's...a Conrad Johnson PV14LS2 (Mullard tubes) & a Krell KAV 250p (SS design). Both quality pieces & should have in theory bested my NAD AVR. It didn't happen. I had all 3 pieces at the same time & did extensive listening sessions with all of them.

So for now I'll stick with my NAD AVR but who's to say I just might try another pre to see what the listening results are.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

There you go, you decided on your own which you preferred. Which always trumph's words/discussion on an audio board.

Design of a particular unit is not a theory, and design plays a HUGE roll in how something performs. IMO, the design of the unit cannot be arbitrarily thrown out the window. Many times the design IS the essence of why something sounds so good and performs so well. Specs OTOH, I can take 'em or leave 'em as they are derived under a very specific set of circumstances.

Enjoy Phil, you have made your choice based on your own preferences and it sounds like you compared them to your satisfaction and choose the best one for you needs and likes. But, you certainly can't extrapolate your findings to make the kind of specific comments you make concerning AVR's and dedicated preamps.

Just because your ears approve the NAD as a pre doesn't mean it passes a signal that is neutral, correct, unadulterated, natural, pure, unprocessed, unflavored etc, etc.

That's all I'm saying.............and I'm just presenting the other POV. I certainly haven't tried everything in every combo and in the end it comes down to whatever floats your boat and makes you happy. :):)

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 07-14-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Thread Information