I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM sitting in my garage. I haven't really driven it much for a long time as it hasn't been my daily driver for years. I should have sold it a long ago, but I didn't.
In any event, despite the fact it sat all the time I did take care of it. This winter I had a problem where the car wouldn't start some times. It didn't matter if it was hot or cold, but it would always eventually start. Had the battery tested and it was next to dead. I replaced it and my problems were gone for a couple weeks, then I started having the problem where the car would take forever to start again (cranking over and not catching, but eventually it always would).
I took it to a dealer I know well when I had some time just to get a good diagnosis. Long story short, he couldn't duplicate my issue. It always started right up for him. Cost me under $100 and I took it home. Worked great for 3 weeks, then started acting up.
I gave up driving it completely and it sat in my garage for 2 months. I decided to pull my stereo out of it to put in a different vehicle. When I went to put the key in so I could shift down to get the dash cover off to expose the radio, the car was dead completely.
Fast forward to today...I hooked the battery charger up and tried to see if I could get it to start. I got lights and everything, but the dash lights were acting weird and my trunk would pop open by itself. I pushed on all the fuses and relays to make sure they were all seated properly. All seemed fine.
I know this is a long shot, but do you guys have any ideas? Something is telling me this is a simple fix, but I am stumped.
Right now I have the charger doing a slow charge on the dead battery to see what happens. Either way it sounds as though SOMETHING is draining my battery. :o