Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Breakthrough tonight

I know a lot people know what they like, but I had been getting by on just my Monitor 60's and not had much else to test them against.. well I had picked up some vintage ADS L520s from a fellow polkie and really in the last week had the chance to really listen and compare them with my Monitors..

I have to say I'm surprised but my Monitors won out imo. While the ADS's have a very pleasing and definitely more laid back sound than the Monitors, I realized they are not nearly as detailed and even as dynamic as the Monitors and that I'm willing to take on a little extra brightness in the tweeter if the rest of the speaker is more detailed.

I think the ADS's will work as a really nice Vintage secondary rig with the vintage Marantz receiver SR6000 I picked up at the same time.

I know I want something better than my monitors for my eventual separate 2 channel system, which I am currently saving up for, but at least now I know more of what to look for.

on another note I do have some Jamo C 401, which i have for use with the downstairs TV and I like them even better than the 60's for music, as they are just as detailed, but more natural sounding. unfortunately they are not full spectrum however, and only have 4.5" drivers, but I know for sure when I go out auditioning that i'm going to want to see if I can find Jamo's C600 and C 800 series speakers, which are the next two levels above the C400 series.
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I'm not that surprised. The Monitor line is really a decent mid-line by Polk. Most people see it as 'entry' but, in fact, it can compete at a higher level than that.

Enjoy it before you're 'bitten' again?

cnh

Thread Information