Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Preamp Questions

Hi all, I'm looking to replace my preamp because i need one with a remote.
    What i have is an Adcom GFP 555 and a S.A.E PA-10. I like them both (the S.A.E. is a little more flexible) but they aren't remote controllable so i'm looking at a NAD 1600 with remote in good to excellent shape locally for $289 which seems to fit my needs. My question is, is this a decent pre for the money or should i keep looking. $300 is the max i can spend. For those who care or just interested this is what i need in a pre

1. Remote control
    2. A good MM/MC Phono section
    3. Tuner input or internal tuner
    4. 2 full tape loops with 2 way dubbing (Tape 1 > Tape2 / Tape 2 > Tape 1)
    5. CD Input
    6. At least 1 Line level Aux input
    7. Will play nice with my Adcom GFA-555 power amp

Another idea i'm thinking about doing is replacing the volume control in either the Adcom or S.A.E with a remote volume control kit something like this Remote Volume Control Kit has anybody had some experience with doing something like this. All i really need is to be able to control the volume for when the neighbors are beating on my door because the music is to loud.

Any suggestions, comments or ideas would be appreciated.
    "It currently doesn't have a remote because I'm pretty sure my ex threw it out at some point 'cause she's a whore.!"
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    "50% Why... That's almost half."
    "I know, I'm sick and need help."
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by gim54pod View Post
    ... All i really need is to be able to control the volume for when the neighbors are beating on my door because the music is to loud.
    Couldn't you just turn it down by hand when you get up to get the baseball bat?

Member Sales Rating: (40)

How far away do you sit? BDT has used a golf club with a suction cup on the end to adjust volume hillbilly style before....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Hi all, I'm looking to replace my preamp because i need one with a remote.
    What i have is an Adcom GFP 555 and a S.A.E PA-10. I like them both (the S.A.E. is a little more flexible) but they aren't remote controllable so i'm looking at a NAD 1600 with remote in good to excellent shape locally for $289 which seems to fit my needs. My question is, is this a decent pre for the money or should i keep looking. $300 is the max i can spend. For those who care or just interested this is what i need in a pre

1. Remote control
    2. A good MM/MC Phono section
    3. Tuner input or internal tuner
    4. 2 full tape loops with 2 way dubbing (Tape 1 > Tape2 / Tape 2 > Tape 1)
    5. CD Input
    6. At least 1 Line level Aux input
    7. Will play nice with my Adcom GFA-555 power amp

Another idea i'm thinking about doing is replacing the volume control in either the Adcom or S.A.E with a remote volume control kit something like this Remote Volume Control Kit has anybody had some experience with doing something like this. All i really need is to be able to control the volume for when the neighbors are beating on my door because the music is to loud.

IMHO you are asking a lot from a preamp at that price. Just a good MM/MC phono stage could run you that much. I guess it not impossible especially with GG always on the lookout for a great deal.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I would stick with the S.A.E. unit. Sit next to your audio gear and move the speakers on the other side of the room. Get a nice leather chair and kick back and enjoy. Another option would be buy an older model Sunfire processor and use it as your pre amp. It should send you back in the area of four to Five hundred dollars but it is well worth it. I know it's over your budget but I would take some time and save up for one. Just a thought.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Sunfire grand 5 channel, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: ,Polk CS1000 center, Polk cs400rear center, Polk RT800 mains stacked with RT55's, Polk F/X 1000 rears running on a Yamaha RX-V2200

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 12 series 2, 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    IMHO you are asking a lot from a preamp at that price. Just a good MM/MC phono stage could run you that much. I guess it not impossible especially with GG always on the lookout for a great deal.
    Your probably right about asking a lot from a preamp at my price. I may just have to deal with what i've got but a remote would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
    I would stick with the S.A.E. unit. Sit next to your audio gear and move the speakers on the other side of the room. Get a nice leather chair and kick back and enjoy. Another option would be buy an older model Sunfire processor and use it as your pre amp. It should send you back in the area of four to Five hundred dollars but it is well worth it. I know it's over your budget but I would take some time and save up for one. Just a thought.
    Actually i like the S.A.E. better than the Adcom i just wish i could figure out a way to make it remote controllable. As far as using a AV type processor as a preamp they have a lot more circuitry in them that i have no need for or would ever use. So why pay for stuff your not going to use.

Thank both of you for your comment's and suggestion's there appreciated.

Oh RuSsman it's not about how far away i sit it's about accessibility.

I was hoping someone would comment on that NAD preamp.
    "It currently doesn't have a remote because I'm pretty sure my ex threw it out at some point 'cause she's a whore.!"
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (3)

For that price range you may be able to get a used Rotel RC-1070. One reviewer stated it was worth the price of the phono stage alone (MM only - no MC).
    Strictly 2 channel
    Rotel RC-1550 pre
    Rotel RB-1582 amp
    Catcables Kingcats ICs
    APC S-20 line conditioner
    B&W N804 mains
    B&W ASW800 sub
    Rotel RCC-1055 changer
    Denon DVD 1000

Listening Room:
    McIntosh C2300 preamp
    McIntosh MC452 amp
    McIntosh MCD-500 SACD player
    AQ Colorado XLR ICs
    AQ Columbia ICs
    APC H-15 line conditioner
    Sonus faber Auditor M speakers w/stands
    REL B1 subwoofer
    Rega P9 w/Lyra Delos
    Pioneer RT-707 R2R
    Zu power cables & XLRs

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I've got an NAD 1600 in my bedroom setup--It's a very nice tuner/pre, but it's not the last word in high end preamps. I paid $200 for mine, in near-flawless shape, so the price you're looking at seems a tad high to me. Local pickup is always worth some peace of mind to avoid shipping snafus. I haven't had the chance to use the phono section, but it's supposed to be decent to good.

If its functionality fits your needs, you'll probably be hard pressed to find better within your budget.

HTH,

Jay

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Your probably right about asking a lot from a preamp at my price. I may just have to deal with what i've got but a remote would be nice.

Actually i like the S.A.E. better than the Adcom i just wish i could figure out a way to make it remote controllable. As far as using a AV type processor as a preamp they have a lot more circuitry in them that i have no need for or would ever use. So why pay for stuff your not going to use.

Thank both of you for your comment's and suggestion's there appreciated.

Oh RuSsman it's not about how far away i sit it's about accessibility.

I was hoping someone would comment on that NAD preamp.
    Don't get me wrong Bro, NAD makes some great gear. I've owned and still own NAD gear since the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by miner View Post
    For that price range you may be able to get a used Rotel RC-1070. One reviewer stated it was worth the price of the phono stage alone (MM only - no MC).
    Yea i was looking a that Rotel, but from the manual it looks like you can only dub one way. I think it was Tape 2 > Tape 1, Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by agfrost View Post
    I've got an NAD 1600 in my bedroom setup--It's a very nice tuner/pre, but it's not the last word in high end preamps. I paid $200 for mine, in near-flawless shape, so the price you're looking at seems a tad high to me. Local pickup is always worth some peace of mind to avoid shipping snafus. I haven't had the chance to use the phono section, but it's supposed to be decent to good.

If its functionality fits your needs, you'll probably be hard pressed to find better within your budget.

HTH,

Jay
    Thanks Jay that helps a lot, I think i'm going to go check out that NAD this weekend, If it's near mint and meats my needs i'll most likely pick it up. Maybe i'll be able to talk the guy into some kind of a trade deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Don't get me wrong Bro, NAD makes some great gear. I've owned and still own NAD gear since the '80s.
    Oh I didn't get you wrong I think I understood exactly what you were saying and I agree with you. Also I didn't think for one second you were slamming NAD gear at all. It's just that I can't afford to go Hi-end and to be honest with you with my hearing I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway. Can you say Stone Cold Deft in both ears :o.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

Hi all, Yes I'm still looking to replace my preamp because i need one with a remote. I bought a Rotel RTC-850 from a member a while back (Quite awhile) but it has developed some leaking cap in the power supply section, it looks like it would be cheap to fix about $20 -$30 but I'm thinking it's not really worth fixing especially if I decide to recap the whole thing (another $20 - $30 and a boat load of time.)

I was also thinking of stepping up the food chain a bit

$1000 is the max i can spend. For those who care or just interested this is what i need in a pre

1. No Tubes
    2. Remote controllable
    3. A good MM/MC Phono section
    4. Tuner input
    5. 2 full tape loops with 2 way dubbing (Tape 1 > Tape2 / Tape 2 > Tape 1)
    6. CD Input
    7. At least 1 Line level Aux input
    8. Will play nice with my Adcom GFA-555 power amp

FYI: My budget is no where near F1nut's, DarqueKnight's, etc... So please be realistic.
    Last edited by gimpod; 11-26-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Tony, how about that Adcom something-750? I've heard it and it's pretty nice, but I don't know if it meets all your requirements.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Hey how about a Rotel RC-1082

Check this one on the Gon..no affiliation.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/sol...plifiers-48085
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X

Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30
    Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player
    Polk Audio LS70
    Hunting for a sub...

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Tony, how about that Adcom something-750? I've heard it and it's pretty nice, but I don't know if it meets all your requirements.
    That would be my last choice as it only has 1 tape loop and no phono, That is unless one comes along and the price was right!

Thank you Jesse and how have you been doing lately good I hope.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

Mark's Parasound P3? MM only it looks like but its a solid pre.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

The biggest problem with most later preamps is they don't have a Phono section (could go external if there are enough inputs) and/or 2 full Tape loops. If they have 2 tape loops you can only dub one way usually Tape 2 > Tape 1
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

If that isn't confusing enough try this on for size. Of the models suggested let's break them down.

1. Adcom GFP-750, No Phono & 1 Tape loop (If priced fair and from a fellow polkie this would be my choice so far)
    2. Rotel RC-1082, Tape Dubbing is one way Tape 1 > Tape 2 (you can't record to Tape 2 other than T1 > T2)
    3. Parasound Halo P3, 1 Tape loop also you can't record anything connected to Direct Input's 1 or 2 Balanced or Unbalanced.
    4. Mark's Rotel RC-1070 (that might be for sale), Tape Dubbing is one way Tape 1 > Tape 2 (you can't record to Tape 2 other than T1 > T2)
    5. greppy's Rotel RC-990BX, Tape Dubbing is one way Tape 2 > Tape 1 (you can't record to Tape 2)
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Why the 2 full tape loops anyway ?

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Yes, this. It's going to be a major limiting factor on anything built recently. Take that away and a variety of Musical Fidelity preamps will fit the bill. Most have a MM/MC phono stage, one tape loop and a HT direct input. I've got an A5 that plays nicely with SS amps, but I should add the caveat that the phono stage on mine has crapped out, so keep that in mind in your hunting.

Off the top of my head in SS pre amps, I think some older Aragon pre amps might have 2 full tape loops. But still curious as to why this is needed in todays world.

I think the Onkyo P-301 has the dual tape and dual video inputs and 1 phono,1 cd, 1 tuner input.Also has a good remote control that works the motorized volume control and all the other features as well.
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Because I have 2 tape deck's that I would like to record from one to the other and vice versa, Besides if your going to put 2 tape loop's in a pre why not make them full it can't be that hard. I mean even my old S.A.E. Two PA 10 has inputs for 2 Phono (1 MM & 1 MC), 2 AUX, 1 Tuner, 1 Exturnal Prosser Loop, and 2 Full Tape Loop's just no remote and was designed in the late 1970 - early 1980's
    Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    I think the Onkyo P-301 has the dual tape and dual video inputs and 1 phono,1 cd, 1 tuner input.Also has a good remote control that works the motorized volume control and all the other features as well.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by gimpod View Post
    Because I have 2 tape deck's that I would like to record from one to the other and vice versa, Besides if your going to put 2 tape loop's in a pre why not make them full it can't be that hard. I mean even my old S.A.E. Two PA 10 has inputs for 2 Phono (1 MM & 1 MC), 2 AUX, 1 Tuner, 1 Exturnal Prosser Loop, and 2 Full Tape Loop's just no remote and was designed in the late 1970 - early 1980's
    Who uses tape decks today, seriously, for a manufacturer to consider 2 full tape loops. Must be some after market gizmo to help ya out in that situation anyway. Most modern SS pre's won't have 2, maybe one, but I don't recall seeing 2 in a very long time. Not much help I'm afraid, but I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Never mind my last post, ran out of time.

Because I'm an analog guy stuck in a digital world,

I have 2 tape deck's that I would like to record from one to the other and vice versa, Besides if your going to put 2 tape loop's in a pre why not make them full it can't be that hard. I mean even my old S.A.E. Two PA 10 has inputs for 2 Phono (1 MM & 1 MC), 2 AUX, 1 Tuner, 1 External Processor Loop, and 2 Full Tape Loop's just no remote and was designed by S.A.E. built in Japan in the late 1970 - early 1980's granted not there top end but not bad ether for the money.

If S.A.E. could do it back then why can't a company's do it today, It's a extra relay (or whatever) and some software, My crappy Adcom GFP-555 would do this, Even the Rotel RTC-850 (with a remote) would do it (seams to be the last Rotel that would).

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    No offense but I've never liked Onkyo and have no need for video at all.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

Who uses tape decks today.
    Me and Kenneth Swauger to name a few.

Like my sig says "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

No offense taken, it's what I have. But it does work well w/ my Adcom 555, forget the video ,has the remote you need. Not into the brand that's fine.Just an offering like the others.

Again, your in the minority with Tape loops, no manufacture is going to just add costs to their product that won't benefit more than a handful of old dudes hanging on to their R/R machines.Try and find a pre from that era would be your best bet but the remote may be hard to find as well.

Curious as to why no tubes ? I think your chances are better in a tubed pre than SS.

No Tubes good question;

Cost, they take too long to warm up and I don't leave anything on 24/7, maintenance and they burn out when you lest expect it.

But I do have admit never having owned anything with tubes I could be full of feces except for that 24/7 thing.
    "Peace, Love and ICBM's"
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----

Don't leave my tube linestage on 24/7; at the most I warm it up for 30-60 minutes, or just start playing music. It's easy to hear when it warms up and things snap into place.

Also, lots of tubes have high life expectancy (many thousands of hours), especially those originally designed for the military.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

This preamp only has 2 inputs but I just built a Bottlehead Quickie for $99 and it sounds very good. Drawback is that it runs off batteries but life expectancy is 150-200 hours. I was a sceptic about the whole thing but now I believe. For $99 it was a great buy and interesting to build.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpod View Post
    No Tubes good question;

Cost, they take too long to warm up and I don't leave anything on 24/7, maintenance and they burn out when you lest expect it.

But I do have admit never having owned anything with tubes I could be full of feces except for that 24/7 thing.

Thread Information