Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Comp's MM6501

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by catch22atplay View Post
    Rockford T2652-S shows a low of 83db at 340hz and a high of 97.5db at 16khz on axis. A low of 80db at 340hz and a high of 100.5db at 18khz 30 degrees off axis. And that's not in a car.
    Precisement. Now, if you install the said Rockford T2652-S in your car and do the test tone experiment with an spl meter you may wind up with something like:

On Axis : 340hz - 92db, 16khz - 78 db
    Off Axis : 340 hz - 86db, 16 khz - 75 db

Your ears, more or less would tell you the same thing. Numbers measured outside the car mean nothing, cause I'm hearing the speakers in the car. Try the test tones exercise. 800-8khz is the loudest in a car. Again thas for your and my older ears. For the young 'uns here maybe the roll off would start at 10. even for the 16khz would not be the loudest.

If you tried to balance out all the frequencies, so that they all sounded the same level, you would end up with the boom box sound. Or worse dull lifeless sound. When I had my sr's and things were dialed in well, the spl rose gradually from 50hz to 500hz. 50hz and 80hz though were way lower than 500hz.

The rise continues from 800-3khz. The sr's have a peak around the 800khz mark which needs a major cut. But the brightest frequencies in this range is 1.25-3khz.

With the tweeter gains set at -8db for left and right, the roll off starts around the 6khz mark. just for a lark if I set the tweet gains to 0/0, the roll off starts around 8khz, 12 is lower, 16khz is way lower. :)

Quote Originally Posted by arun1963 View Post
    Precisement. Now, if you install the said Rockford T2652-S in your car and do the test tone experiment with an spl meter you may wind up with something like:

On Axis : 340hz - 92db, 16khz - 78 db
    Off Axis : 340 hz - 86db, 16 khz - 75 db

Your ears, more or less would tell you the same thing. Numbers measured outside the car mean nothing, cause I'm hearing the speakers in the car. Try the test tones exercise. 800-8khz is the loudest in a car. Again thas for your and my older ears. For the young 'uns here maybe the roll off would start at 10. even for the 16khz would not be the loudest.

If you tried to balance out all the frequencies, so that they all sounded the same level, you would end up with the boom box sound. Or worse dull lifeless sound. When I had my sr's and things were dialed in well, the spl rose gradually from 50hz to 500hz. 50hz and 80hz though were way lower than 500hz.

The rise continues from 800-3khz. The sr's have a peak around the 800khz mark which needs a major cut. But the brightest frequencies in this range is 1.25-3khz.

With the tweeter gains set at -8db for left and right, the roll off starts around the 6khz mark. just for a lark if I set the tweet gains to 0/0, the roll off starts around 8khz, 12 is lower, 16khz is way lower. :)
    Cool deal. Thank you much for that.

Thanks.

How do you go about cutting that frequency? My EQ only goes up to around 12.5 khz

:p

I want to make a public apology to Kaos. He was supposed to hear the SR's today and I had to back out on short notice. We got home today after shopping for a Digital SLR Camera (to document said boy's life) and checked the mail, only to find $6,000 worth of medical bills from my boy's birth a month ago. This was about 90 minutes before the time we set, and with the sudden jump in stress and the immediate need to research, I backed out.

We will be setting up another time later in the week, possibly after this issue has been resolved. I know most don't care and this is mostly directed at Kaos. It also feels good to vent some as I'm still feeling the stress 3 hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    I want to make a public apology to Kaos. He was supposed to hear the SR's today and I had to back out on short notice. We got home today after shopping for a Digital SLR Camera (to document said boy's life) and checked the mail, only to find $6,000 worth of medical bills from my boy's birth a month ago. This was about 90 minutes before the time we set, and with the sudden jump in stress and the immediate need to research, I backed out.

We will be setting up another time later in the week, possibly after this issue has been resolved. I know most don't care and this is mostly directed at Kaos. It also feels good to vent some as I'm still feeling the stress 3 hours later.
    Thank you sir, and no worries. I understand, and you know what... life happens. I had to back out on the other guy that I was supposed to meet as well, but had to take my mom to the ER (she is fine, and good to go) so, yeah its cool.

On a positive note you have a healty baby boy, and that is so much more worth it in the end. You have to vent at some point to someone other than your significant other. Its just one of those things.. Its life..:)

Thanks
    Last edited by KaosTsoc; 08-08-2010 at 10:07 PM.

How do you go about cutting that frequency? My EQ only goes up to around 12.5 khz

:p
    :p That was posted at 11:30 at night after a few....hey, nobodys perfect. Me least of all. :p

I want to make a public apology to Kaos......
    That was a nice gesture. Yeah get ready for non stop flow of bills. How much of the bill is covered by your medical insurance?

:p That was posted at 11:30 at night after a few....hey, nobodys perfect. Me least of all. :p

That was a nice gesture. Yeah get ready for non stop flow of bills. How much of the bill is covered by your medical insurance?
    This is true. True in deed.

Thanks.

Ok. So, I was wondering if someone might be able to tell the difference between Thermal Power handeling, and RMS handeling?? I have been looking at spec and what not, and see form time to time the thermal power rating, and some have rms.. Could some one please inform me on this..??

Thanks.

So, cancelling on you sunday just means you're gonna get one hell of an audition out of it. I've spent a few hours down in the car the last few nights and I have managed to work out 99% of the timing issues I've been having. I can now literally follow the side-to-side transitions of the music with my eyes. The singer is centered on my dash and doesn't slide to the left on certain notes anymore. The beaming has been toned down greatly, and the only supplement right now is the balance is shifted to the Right by 1/25. Small enough to fix the issue and not throw the rest of the frequencies completely out of whack.

I've never felt so confident in it before. Now just comes dialing in the EQ, which needs only minor adjustments. I would actually consider taking it to a competition with its current sound.

I should be available to meet up again on Tuesday or Thursday, but would prefer Thursday if you are willing to wait until then. That will give me another day or two to dial that EQ in for you. If you're going to hear the SR's, I want you to hear them at their best.

So, cancelling on you sunday just means you're gonna get one hell of an audition out of it. I've spent a few hours down in the car the last few nights and I have managed to work out 99% of the timing issues I've been having. I can now literally follow the side-to-side transitions of the music with my eyes. The singer is centered on my dash and doesn't slide to the left on certain notes anymore. The beaming has been toned down greatly, and the only supplement right now is the balance is shifted to the Right by 1/25. Small enough to fix the issue and not throw the rest of the frequencies completely out of whack.

I've never felt so confident in it before. Now just comes dialing in the EQ, which needs only minor adjustments. I would actually consider taking it to a competition with its current sound.

I should be available to meet up again on Tuesday or Thursday, but would prefer Thursday if you are willing to wait until then. That will give me another day or two to dial that EQ in for you. If you're going to hear the SR's, I want you to hear them at their best.
    Good deal. Uh. Yeah Thursday is just fine with me. What time are you looking at?? I get off of work now at 6:00 PM, I work in Allen as well. So might take me about an hour or so (Maybe.. I have lead foot syndrom) to get the spot. So, yeah text me with a time, and Im there.

Also Could you please help me out with my post above yours. I dont know if there is a difference or not between the two..??

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KaosTsoc View Post
    Ok. So, I was wondering if someone might be able to tell the difference between Thermal Power handeling, and RMS handeling?? I have been looking at spec and what not, and see form time to time the thermal power rating, and some have rms.. Could some one please inform me on this..??

Thanks.
    RMS = power that your speaker can handle over extended play time, without burning out the speakers voice coil. This is the maximum power you can safely use on the speaker.

Thermal Power / Peak Power = Power that your speaker can handle for a fraction of a sec any longer and the speaker is toast.

The first one is relevant, the second is just marketing hype.

RMS = power that your speaker can handle over extended play time, without burning out the speakers voice coil. This is the maximum power you can safely use on the speaker.

Thermal Power / Peak Power = Power that your speaker can handle for a fraction of a sec any longer and the speaker is toast.

The first one is relevant, the second is just marketing hype.
    Ah. Got it. I was not sure if they were the same or not. So, not that I know this; Lets take the polk SR 12" DVC sub as an example. The tech spec's sheet says that the thermal power handeling is 700 watts, but the dispcription says that it can handle 700 watts cont. So, Im confused on this. Here is the discription part

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/sr...php?s=sr124dvc

Then take a look at the tech sheet under manuals. Kinda confusing..?? Which one do I got by??

Thanks.

Said sub can handle 700 watts RMS.

Said sub can handle 700 watts RMS.
    Ok. So, 700 watt is the true RMS. Cool.

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Is the audition happening today? A post with pics is called for.

It seems like this is audition season. I'll probably be meeting a guy this weekend who is running the dls gothia, genesis amps and the p-90rs. A guy who has heard both our cars is setting it up. I've never been in a sound off. Oh and we drive the same make and model.

He has a lot more dsp though. Thats a big difference. I'd love tweaking the p-90. Sounds like fun.

it should be happening. The sister-in-law is coming over so its a legitimate reason for me to duck out of the house. I'll try to snap some pics just for you arun. I will admit up front that my install is very poor right now, complete with velcro supports :p

it should be happening. The sister-in-law is coming over so its a legitimate reason for me to duck out of the house. I'll try to snap some pics just for you arun. I will admit up front that my install is very poor right now, complete with velcro supports :p
    LOL. That's great... It is indeed a very good reason.

Thanks.

my 6501 are starting to break in.. twisted with EQ and fader settings just now, oh man.. the mid bass is unbelievable..the MM840 blends PERFECTLY with the 6501...
    i mean, i dont usually enjoy music with hard beat, but my gf does. we played her rap collection haha its really fun. great night.
    Front: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSIa4
    Rear: Polk M10
    Receiver: AVR Denon 789
    HTPC Soundcard: Emu-0404 USB for 2.1, Creative X-Fi Platinum for 5.1 (SPDIF out to AVR)
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605
    TV: Toshiba Regza 52' 120Hz

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU

So the audition went down (no pics, sorry arun. I even mentioned it as we were parting ways). I'll let kaos chime in on how it went.

My hunch is it was a tad bright (by tad I mean a lot). I realized on the way home that it was really bright and noticed I didn't drop the tweets back down where they needed to be. I don't think this prevented him from getting the jist of the SR's though.

Hey, you're talking to the guy who has his tweet pods stuck on to the dash on double sided tape. Actually it works great. It lets me tweak the angles and lets me swivel the tweets for when my daughter is in the passenger seat. She's gonna be a polkie too some day ;).

So the audition went down (no pics, sorry arun. I even mentioned it as we were parting ways). I'll let kaos chime in on how it went.

My hunch is it was a tad bright (by tad I mean a lot). I realized on the way home that it was really bright and noticed I didn't drop the tweets back down where they needed to be. I don't think this prevented him from getting the jist of the SR's though.
    I'm glad you'll met up and had fun. At times I've given auditions and later realised something was out, thats life :). I'm sure he got the jist.

So, the audition was great. I enjoyed every minute of it. Dskip, the tweets for me were not at all to bright. In fact like I said befor, I kind of like my music to be a little brighter than the average person. I did get a chance to see his sub, and yes the Polk SR sub looks really good. The sound incorporation between high's, mids, and sub were perfect. When I went home I was still in aawww. All in all it went great, and made me realize what I am missing. And sadly to say that is quite abit, I missing so much detail it really is a shame. But hey I am an optimistic, and that is why I am on this forum. I am now wanting to take the time to create an audio system that I am going to have for many many years.

Basically trying to replicate what I hear in my headphones, and put that sound in my car. So, if you have ever heard a really good pair of headphones you know what I am talking about. Not only lows, but also the highs, and mids as well. It is a process, and I will get there it just takes some time, thats all.

So, that is my thought, again thank you Dskip for the chance to listen to such beautifully crafted speakers. Oh, and of cours thanks to polk for makeing them......

Thanks

Sort of the same for me. I compare against my headphones mainly. But my home system is dialed in extremely well. Headphones you don't get a good front stage. So i'm hoping to get it somewhere between the two. I know i can't match my home system. But i'd like to get somewhere near it's quality.

Maybe it's the extreme pickiness in me. But it's so painful listening to 90% or more of other people's car audio systems. Think i've heard 3 systems in 30 years i thought sounded exceptional. Most just want it loud. They don't realize what they're missing. All the parts count. But speakers are really the key factor. After that it's dialing in the speakers with eq, crossovers and TA.

Would have loved to of heard that system. Especially if it's in his truck.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

Sort of the same for me. I compare against my headphones mainly. But my home system is dialed in extremely well. Headphones you don't get a good front stage. So i'm hoping to get it somewhere between the two. I know i can't match my home system. But i'd like to get somewhere near it's quality.

Maybe it's the extreme pickiness in me. But it's so painful listening to 90% or more of other people's car audio systems. Think i've heard 3 systems in 30 years i thought sounded exceptional. Most just want it loud. They don't realize what they're missing. All the parts count. But speakers are really the key factor. After that it's dialing in the speakers with eq, crossovers and TA.

Would have loved to of heard that system. Especially if it's in his truck.
    That is what I am going for. Not only do I want it to be clear, but to get loud as well when I want to be a bass head, but for daily driving the clearness is what I am looking for as well. As for Dskip, he has a 96 camaro which to me made no difference. It was just so clear, that I was like wow that is how my headphones sound, with the exception that the deeper bass was more pronounced than my headphones. Which is just fine, and what I was expecting it to be.

You know that is what I have determind as well. That it is about the speakers, and then dialing in the EQ, crossover, and TA. However at this point I am not quite ready for that, but it is a work in progress, and I am in no rush.

Thanks.

Ha, preaching to the choir here. All this equipment i got yet nothing installed. I may sell everything and start all over. Well everything except the speakers. ;)

I bought my MM3065's in march 1994. The new system is my replacement for them. They had the perfect combination of sound quality with the ability to play loud. I'd imagine the MM series is still the same way. Best components i ever bought until i got these SR's. But i've still yet to hear the SR's. If i didn't have the SR's i'd be buying the MM's based on past experience with them. An excellent buy for sure.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

Ha, preaching to the choir here. All this equipment i got yet nothing installed. I may sell everything and start all over. Well everything except the speakers. ;)

I bought my MM3065's in march 1994. The new system is my replacement for them. They had the perfect combination of sound quality with the ability to play loud. I'd imagine the MM series is still the same way. Best components i ever bought until i got these SR's. But i've still yet to hear the SR's. If i didn't have the SR's i'd be buying the MM's based on past experience with them. An excellent buy for sure.
    You know that is what Dskip and I where talking about. The SR's that he has are the 5250's, and the hit pretty good, but I thought the mid bass could be a little more, but considering that they are only 5", they did remarkably well, but that all comes down to the tuning as well. He said that for what I am looking for the MM's would be perfect. He had or has (forgot) the MOMO line, and he said that he was happy with them, UNTIL he got the SR's, and that brought him to another level he said. So, you know I loved the clearity of the SR's, but would like a little more punch in the midbass, so the MM's might be the best thing. I am going to go the Fry's in Irving, and see if they have the MM's, and see what their mid bass response sounds like, to get an idea.

Thanks.

Ok, so lets change gears here for a second. Can any one of you guys or girls (you never know) help me find a good "active" HU. Sorry to say, but the Pioneer one (cant remember the model) is out of the question. A little to high for my blood. Also not a fan of alpine either, dont like the way they look. Kind of reminds me of gotti jewelry.

I was looking at this HU, but not sure if this wold be good. I am down for any suggestions as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...DC-BT945U.html

Also here is the website from kenwood with specs

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ver/KDC-BT945U

Thanks.
    Last edited by KaosTsoc; 08-13-2010 at 05:19 PM.

It's not a horrible Head Unit. The DTA is a bonus that I don't think your current HU has. Recall the difficulty I was having in toning in your speakers on a 3 band parametric EQ (which is the same EQ as the Kenwood has). Of course, your funky wiring didn't help the process much either ;)

The two most important parts of your sound chain are, the hu and the speakers. Assuming of course that you're not running a processor.

Some of the features to look at on a hu:
    1. 3 preouts
    2. A strong 4-5 volts preout signal
    3. Time alignment
    4. A min of 5-7 band eq, preferably a parametric eq. The more you have here the better. If you can get one where you can set left and right channels separately, that would be ideal.
    5. Ability to set an active 3 way network (sub/mid/tweet)

A hu that gives you all these options, would allow you to really customise the sound to a very high quality level. Of course they would cost a bit more. Here are some options for instance.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4633/DEHP...h-wireless.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6464/DEHP...lity-Audio.htm

It depends on what quality level you're aiming for. If you just want some tunes while driving around then the Kenny's you picked are fine. Although woofers has the excelon at 299. At least this gives you TA.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7741/KDCX...-Bluetooth.htm

The other thing you can look at is to get the prs units used for around $200.

Quote Originally Posted by SivaNevets View Post
    mm6501 is best known for its mid bass..with sufficient power.
    im installing mine tomororw, will let u know
    Wouldn't mind listening to them if you have the time.

I'm in the west end (Mississauga).
    If you come to Canada, remember our bears like no foam lattes......thank you :D

It's not a horrible Head Unit. The DTA is a bonus that I don't think your current HU has. Recall the difficulty I was having in toning in your speakers on a 3 band parametric EQ (which is the same EQ as the Kenwood has). Of course, your funky wiring didn't help the process much either ;)
    Ok. Thanks. Yeah sorry about that, I know that I should have the set up correct, but like I said I did it in a little bit of hurry. So, ok same EQ con, but the DTA is a pro. Ok. got it.

Thanks.

Thread Information