Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Default PS3 update help?

Hey everyone.

I'm back from a year away and I tried to update my PS3 80 gig to Version 3.41. The upgrade loaded but when it got to the info on ..loading this upgrade will PREVENT you from being able to use other operating systems like Linux the screen FROZE and my controller would not let me say YES or OK the X (enter) was not functional. I had to shut the darned thing off and reboot...but unfortunately it brought me to the VERY same screen.

Finally I turned off my internet, rebooted the system again and was able to choose internet disable which gave me control of my machine again?

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Could the FACT that this PS3 has not had an upgrade since perhaps June or July of 2009 be a factor. In other words would I need to go through ALL those upgrades so that I can use 3.41?

Thanks....because this is a bit 'beyond' me at the moment. I thought I had fried the player for a while?

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (12)

My only thoughts would be to download the latest update on your computer, save it to a sd card or jump drive, and try to do the update that way. I can't imagine it would matter if you skipped a few updates in the meantime.
    Marantz 7005 + Adcom GFA-7500
    LSI15,9s,LSIC
    JL Fathom F112
    Marantz UD7006
    Squeezebox Touch + Hegel hd11

Member Sales Rating: (41)

I just updated mine without any problems and it has been a while since I last updated. Your best bet would be to call Sony.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

There is an update for the 3.41 update. I guess the latest 3.41 update caused a problem with some after-market hard drives that people had, so they sent "an update to the update" a day or two after.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Thanks I'll try again, hardwired this time instead of 'wireless' because that may have also been a problem. I have a TW cable modem hooked into a Belkin wireless router--the PS3 gave me an error message on the internet test, after which I was still able to access the web??

I checked my last update after I typed this last night. I haven't had an update since version 2.8??

I'm going to assume it was a glitch and try again with the CAT5 cable and see what happens. If that fails....it's a call to SONY.

Where is Cheddar when you need him?

cnh

I have TW cable too and my PS3 is hard wired to my router. Needless to say, the PS3 doesn't like to share the bandwidth. It either wants it all or nothing.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

..loading this upgrade will PREVENT you from being able to use other operating systems like Linux t
    Sony removed this feature(install other OS) just this year just a few months ago.

If you can't update over Lan, I would follow other ideas and use USB flash drive or CD method.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Thanks guys! I was finally able to get 3.41 on the unit after hard-wiring it. But NOW I can't get my PS3 google media server to stream lossless audio files without SKIPPING on a wireless connection from my laptop--which was FINE on a DSL connection 4 or 5 times slower than the current cable connection LAST YEAR.

What's up with that. I should add that we have a Vonage unit for phone service between the Belkin router and the PS3's wireless. And I suspect that Vonage system is fouling up a lot!! It's taken my wireless connection from about 10+ Mbps to around 3Mbps...and I am certainly NOT HAPPY about that.

But heck, I was streaming tunes last year on version 2.8 on a 768kbps DSL!

Also my google PS3 software is about a year old as well. It doesn't seem to be BUFFERING consistently...in other words it reads like hiccups....0k one moment 8500k the next. This is causing the problem?

Any thoughts? I suppose I could try hard-wiring the PS3 again....but that is a pain as my modem is about 20 feet away--I do have a cat5 cord that long--not sure the wife will like that though!

cnh

Good to hear that you got the update working. It's always a risk, bricking the unit while updating. I'd minimize the risk as much as possible, especially with an iffy wireless connection. Too many things can go wrong with wireless completely unrelated to the ps3.

I haven't had much experience with the ps3 and wireless. But I did have both my 360 and the ps3 connected to my network through a wireless bridge a few years back. It was a pretty solid connection that bypassed the ps3's wireless hardware. Who knows where the problem is on your network, though. Sound's like you've got a lot of stuff going on.

CNH - I use Nullriver medialink for streaming from my Macbook and unfortunately I can figure out how to prevent skipping of my music or videos when streaming. My work-around is to copy the music or video to the PS3 hard drive. It works for me since there are only a handful of albums or playlists (less than a couple hundred songs) that I listen to routinely and movies/videos can be copy over in a few minutes and then deleted.

I know that isn't a solution but I can't figure it out either.
    Theater rig:
    Pio Elite Pro 111-FD
    Pio Elite VSX-01TXH
    Mains: RTi12s
    Center: CSi5
    Surrounds: FXi3s, RTi6s
    Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Harmony 890
    PS3

2-channel rig in progress:
    LSi15s