Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Monitor 70 Frequency

This is somewhat hard/awkward to explain...so here I go:

I usually have my Monitor 70's set to Large (Full Band) on my Onkyo for 2-channel music. Well, I turned on a hip-hop song (Drake - Miss Me) and the song happens to have a constant bass line of <29Hz and the Monitor 70's themselves are supposed to cut off. Well, what's odd, is all 4 "woofers" on the Monitor 70's fluctuate to the song corresponding to that bass line even though they are not producing any sound. I don't know how to really describe this, and I might have to make a video, but I was curious if it HURTS the speaker?

Like...the woofers are not moving to the beat of the song. Instead they fluctuate (even at VERY low volumes!) -- the woofers just move in and out, at a very steady motion and all in complete synchronization - and at the same time, it produces all the other sounds (mids/lows) of the song perfectly.

Why I'm asking this, is it's the first song I've seen them do this on. And if I change my crossover on the receiver to 40Hz it goes away...and it almost seems as if, since the woofers are swaying in and out on the song, the other "bass-lines" and what not are putting pressure on top of the swaying...almost as if it could be doing this swaying motion, and if another bass-line were to hit at high volume, it'd put pressure on the voice-coil itself and bend it into the cone..I don't know if that's even possible. But it's what it "appears" to possibly be able to do if I were to "let them loose" on the song.

If this happens to hurt the speakers, I guess I'm going to have to keep them at 40-60Hz at all times (even during 2-channel audio). I'd hate to have a random playlist going and have a song like this start blaring out.

I hope I didn't butcher my explanation too much.

Thanks
    Brandon
    Last edited by Log1x; 08-12-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    Hitachi 42HDF39
    Onkyo TX-SR608
    polkaudio Monitor 70
    polkaudio CS2
    polkaudio Monitor 40
    Klipsch Synergy Sub-12

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Monitor overall frequency range is 30Hz-25kHz...so even though not much 'hearable' sound comes out of the M-70s at 30 or below..that does not mean that they're not trying to reproduce those frequencies--might be why the drivers seem to move but you can't hear anything. I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that they stop moving when you cut them off at 40 seems to corroborate the above.

You can't hurt them by allowing them to run as LARGE or full range...only by clipping your amp. Which doesn't sound like what you describe.

Don't worry, enjoy the tunes!

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Monitor overall frequency range is 30Hz-25kHz...so even though not much 'hearable' sound comes out of the M-70s at 30 or below..that does not mean that they're not trying to reproduce tho se frequencies--might be why the drivers seem to move but you can't hear anything. I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that they stop moving when you cut them off at 40 seems to corroborate the above.

You can't hurt them by allowing them to run as LARGE or full range...only by clipping your amp. Which doesn't sound like what you describe.

Don't worry, enjoy the tunes!

cnh
    Sounds good.

I was just a little freaked out on how they all move in synchronization to a frequency that is supposed to be cut off. :p

Thank you! :)
    Hitachi 42HDF39
    Onkyo TX-SR608
    polkaudio Monitor 70
    polkaudio CS2
    polkaudio Monitor 40
    Klipsch Synergy Sub-12

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would have the sub pick up that low end anyway. Might just be me,but having a speaker try to output something it physically can't do is putting undue stress on it, not good in my book. I would cross it over at 40,maybe 45,and let the sub do the dirty work.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I would have the sub pick up that low end anyway. Might just be me,but having a speaker try to output something it physically can't do is putting undue stress on it, not good in my book. I would cross it over at 40,maybe 45,and let the sub do the dirty work.
    Yeah. I'll probably just do that. I'm just fond of the sound the Monitor 70's can produce without a subwoofer.

I do set it at 40Hz when watching movies though. I just had it at Full Range for 2-channel. :)

Brandon
    Hitachi 42HDF39
    Onkyo TX-SR608
    polkaudio Monitor 70
    polkaudio CS2
    polkaudio Monitor 40
    Klipsch Synergy Sub-12

Thread Information