Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Default SDA 1C's - Will I like them?

Hang on...this could be wordy!
    I have been following you guys for awhile now. Have done a ton of research (this site and many others). Listening sessions for the speakers I have been considering aren't really possible anyway, so I have to rely on places such as this. My budget is limited to under $1000. I think I have drawn to the conclusion that my next speaker is going to be the 1C's. I have always liked a wide soundstage, in fact, always thought most systems lacked in it - even ones at the old Stereophile Shows with jaw-dropping budgets. I have never heard SDA's, but sounds like they're up my alley. I have been keeping an eye out and have found a pair in pretty good shape in my state (though haven't seen them yet) and a halfway decent price, but......will they work for me?

- My room size: 14x20
    - Powering them (for now): B&K 125.7 S2 amp (bi-amp?), Cary SLP30 tube Pre, Pioneer Elite PD-65, Audioquest GR8 speaker cables
    - I listen to Rock/Metal/Pop mostly (concerned there might be too much processing in the engineering?)
    - I mainly listen at low to moderate volumes
    - I currently have Boston Acoustics previous flagship VRM-90 (picked them out mainly for HT)
    - I've also owned Legacy Signature II's (definitely better than the BA's, but wife didn't like looks for new home at the time....now that doesn't matter - going into man cave)

PS: They are missing the stock IC cord, but sounds like I can purchase a better one from Ben anyway.

Opinions welcome...
    ..... ><////(*>

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I had never heard and SDA speakers until I purchased a set of completely modified SDA 1C's for $625. That was without any reservations the best money I've ever spent on audio. If you like wide soundstage then these are your speakers. The room size is perfect for them. You will need the IC cable to get the full wide soundstage though. Listening to them without it will seriously cripple the experience. I think your current setup will work nicely with them provided it's a common ground amp. The 1C's love power and with a ss amp with big power they really come alive. I use a Carver TFM-45 which is rated at about 375 wpc. I listen at low to moderate levels and am blown away daily by how great it sounds. I say if you can get the 1C's for a reasonable price go for it. Enjoy.

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp fully rebuilt and modded
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Get a 40 watt tube amp,, cannot bi- anything on 1C's--upgrade everything else-caps,tweeters,, rings,, enjouy them for many years to come--congrats and good luck
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Go for it, make sure your amp is common ground, you can't bi-wire, you won;t need a sub if you set the 1C's up correctly, they need high quality amplification not quantity. If you have high quality and quantity, great, but don;t skimp on the high quality. I run a 30 wpc single ended pure class A amp. Haven't run out of reserves yet.

I'd also say replace the stock sl2000 tweeter with the RD0194-1 silk dome replacements, as they are sooooooooooooooo much better sounding.

Did I say go for it!!!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

- My room size: 14x20
    The SDA's should go on the long wall.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Very glad to hear that my room might be perfect for these.
    I would not use them without the IC, though the owner said he was just using speaker wire to connect them....don't know if that's possible with these though?
    Guess I need to do the compression test (reminds me of buying an old muscle car) by pushing in the passive radiator, and should have a 4-5 second delay, at least, correct?

Question: If I push on the passive radiator, and the drivers DO come back almost instantly (meaning there is a leak) do I buy them, or run away???

Here is the specs on my amp:
    Power Rating: 8Ω 125.5 / 125.7 125 watts / 125 watts
    Power Rating: 4Ω 125.5 / 125.7 185 watts / 185 watts
    Number of Channels 5 / 7
    Current (peak to peak) 30 Amps / 30 amps
    Dynamic Headroom 1.2 dB / 1.2 dB
    Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 0.09 %
    Signal to Noise (S/N) 95 dB
    Input Impedance 33.2 kΩ
    Damping Factor (50 Hz) 180 / 180
    Frequency Response 5 Hz - 45 kHz
    Slew Rate 14 V / μsec
    Input Sensitivity RCA Unbalanced 1.0 Volt
    Input Sensitivity XLR Balanced 2.0 Volts | Pin 1 = Gnd, Pin 2 = In +, Pin 3 = In -
    Gain 28.3AV* or 28dB
    AC Line Voltage 120 / 220 / 240 VAC (optional / switchable)
    Level Controls No
    Binding Post Maximum Wire Gauge 4 AWG
    Balanced Inputs Yes
    Control Input 5 - 24 VDC
    Control Output 10 - 12VDC 200mA
    Dimensions in Inches Width
    (Cutout Dimensions) Height
    Depth
    17.00 (17.12)
    5.78 (5.90)
    15.63 (16.75)
    Shipping Weight 43 lbs
    Power Consumption
    1220 watts max
    12.2 Amps max current draw
    125 watts @ no input
    Replacement Fuses
    AC Line - 12 Amp / 250 Volt Slow Blow
    Rails - 4 Amp / 250 Volt Time-Lag
    Speakers - 4 Amp / 250 Volt Slow Blow
    ..... ><////(*>

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Quote Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
    My budget is limited to under $1000. I think I have drawn to the conclusion that my next speaker is going to be the 1C's
    With that budget you could do big things with some SDA-1C speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    The SDA's should go on the long wall.

You really think the 1C's perform well with that much seperation, and shooting shallow - that could put 9'-10' between 'em? I'm sure you know from experience, it's just a different combo than I'm used to.
    Would it mess the left soundstage up since my ceiling is cathedral and goes from 8' to 9.5' in height? Might have to try it both ways I guess? Though the first way would be more WAF...and she is pretty important in my life (in case she ever accesses this website :D).

BTW, I do plan to upgrade these at some point. That's one of the attractive things about these. Pretty strange when you want to upgrade something before you have even heard it? You guys are good salesman...and I'm in sales. I know your just speaking from the heart...errr, I mean the ears. And I have grown to trust your ears.
    ..... ><////(*>

Who said anything about more separation, you still want to keep them about 6 feet apart. Do the math and it comes out to requiring a 15 foot wall at the minimum, hence the long wall in your case. Now, the ceiling factor may change everything, but I can't say as I've never had to deal with that issue.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Current (peak to peak) 30 Amps
    You might want to look for something with a bit more current. Mine is 160 amps, peak to peak.

How do I know if my amp is a common ground? I've looked through the whole owner's manual...which I didn't find anything?
    It has one plug!
    Last edited by fishbones; 08-16-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    ..... ><////(*>

You might want to look for something with a bit more current. Mine is 160 amps, peak to peak.
    I tried to look at your history to find out what you have exactly, but this website makes it so hard, I gave up, so what do you have?

I have been seriously considering a tube amp for my future, and know some have liked it on their SDA's, but what to get (tube or SS) that would be an even trade for what mine would sell for (bluebook on A'gon is $1160)? I'm cool with used, and don't need multi-channel anymore.
    ..... ><////(*>

How do I know if my amp is a common ground? I've looked through the whole owner's manual...which I didn't find anything?
    It has one plug!
    Do you own a DVOM?

I tried to look at your history to find out what you have exactly, but this website makes it so hard, I gave up, so what do you have?
    It's big and heavy.

Do you own a DVOM?.
    Possibly? WTHII?

It's big and heavy.
    We still talking about your amp?
    ..... ><////(*>

DVOM = Digital Volt Ohm Meter.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I spoke to B&K, the tech told me it is a common ground amp. ;)

Question: If I push on the passive radiator, and the drivers DO come back almost instantly (meaning there is a leak) do I buy them, or run away???
    ..... ><////(*>

Member Sales Rating: (1)

look i am running a stock set of 1c on a onky 807 towed in. that is just wrong lol. but its the way i got to do it right now and they are the best speakers i have ever heard. other than a set that runs more than my house in price you will be happy....

Never toe them in. But I guess if you have absolutely no other option. Toe in ruins the SDA properties.

H9

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Never toe them in. But I guess if you have absolutely no other option. Toe in ruins the SDA properties.

H9
    your right H9 i know. i live in an old house i am fixing and the cold air return is right where i need to put one of the sda. thats why i have them towed in
    i love the sound but don't know if i am going to be able to get them set up Right. if i cant i am going to (hate to say it) sell or trade for something thats not so picky but we will see not to that point just yet.

Thread Information