Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default AVR Help- I need personal opinions

Right now newegg has the Pioneer vsx1120 for $499, only for a few more hours. My budget for a new avr was $550, so i'm also considering the Onkyo-807 ($539), Denon 2310($459) and I found a Pioneer Elite 92txh on craigslist for $380.
    I've spent all day doing research and here's where i'm stuck at.
    The vsx1120 seems to have the most features, which I like but i'm worried that I have no warranty from newegg (since they're not an authorized dealer) and I don't think it'll push anything close to the advertised 120watts, but I have room to add an amp later if I choose. On paper it seems a lot like my 1015 as far as watts and thx certification and Mcacc setup.
    I've had good luck with onkyo's and the 807 has some nice features as well, minus the 3d passthrough. I like the Audyssey a lot and would like to be able to keep it but it's not necessary. Everyone says they're not as reliable, and run hot. The running hot doesn't concern me at all but if it explodes i'm out $540!
    The Denon 2310 is an upgrade from my 1909 which i like, and i know it has the abt video processor, and i like the way denon's sound, but its only a slight increase in power and still lacks preouts and 3d capability.
    I like the Elite 92txh except for the persistent problem everyone has seemed to have with them locking up, and not being covered by any warranty scares me. However it's a great price, but is the most bare bones out of all of them.

I'm talking myself is circles and it'd driving me nuts, and i know everyone here is very helpful and knowledgeable so i thought i'd share my delima. My sig shows my speakers (theater room) and i'm really looking for overall sound quality, low distortion, and adequate power on hand. Internet radio, and 3d passthrough and video upconversion are definitely a plus! I do have a 3d ready tv but i doubt i'll be running anything 3d for a while. I also have att cable which outputs 1080i so the hdmi-hdmi upconversion on the Marvell processor is nice. I just need someone's opinion as to what you would do in my situation, with my speakers and budget? Thanks so much and sorry for rambling i just feel like my head is going to explode.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Member Sales Rating: (10)

NewEgg shows that 1120 as having a 1-year manufacturers limited warranty on parts and labor?
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH

But i read somewhere that because they're not an authorized dealer the warranty is void?
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/dealer.aspx

...or visit Yamaha's Authorized Internet Retailers:

6th Avenue Electronics
    Abt Electronics
    Amazon.com
    Audio Advisor
    Audioholics
    B&H Photo
    Best Buy
    Best Price Audio Video
    Buy.com
    Circuit City
    COMP USA
    Crutchfield
    Dell.com
    Diamond Case Designs
    Electronics Expo
    Fry's
    J & R Music
    New Egg
    One Call
    Stereo Advantage
    Tiger Direct
    Vann's Electronics
    Worldwide Stereo
    Your Electronic Warehouse

I actually meant the Pioneer vsx1120, but that does bring up another question. I forgot to add Yamaha to the list, I know newegg is selling the RX-V1900 (579) but it seems people kind of shy away from yamaha, the general consensus seems to be "polished sound" and thin mids. But 130 watts/ch is always nice, how does it stack up to the others?

Yeah, sorry about that. I knew you were talking about Pioneer, and I'm not sure how I switched that around to Yamaha somewhere along the line. But you're right, it looks like NewEgg is not an authorized dealer for Pioneer, so the warranty would most probably be invalid.

Anyone have any opinions as of sound quality, best deal, most reliable? Just a personal preference you'd like to throw out there? I'd really appreciate it!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by B Run View Post
    Anyone have any opinions as of sound quality, best deal, most reliable? Just a personal preference you'd like to throw out there? I'd really appreciate it!
    I still run my Yamaha V1800 as my AVR - solid build, nice features, and despite the general comments that yammies are bright, I don't find that the case with the 'flagship' line of Vxxxx series avrs. In fact, the V1800 had a review that described the sound as 'warm'...go figure. I think the sound is 'neutral'.

The V1900 would be in the same class, imo, but I haven't heard it first hand.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

i would keep ur avr, none of them listed is really a step up from avr1909..
    Front: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSIa4
    Rear: Polk M10
    Receiver: AVR Denon 789
    HTPC Soundcard: Emu-0404 USB for 2.1, Creative X-Fi Platinum for 5.1 (SPDIF out to AVR)
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605
    TV: Toshiba Regza 52' 120Hz

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU

+1 on staying with your current receiver.

I’m assuming pretty soon two HDMI outputs will be considered standard for BR players, which would let you throw one HDMI out to the television, and another to the receiver for sound – simply bypassing a non-compatible 3-D receiver. But, I could be completely wrong here as I’ve been proven wrong many times before.

Internet music was a pretty big thing for me, which is almost what made me pull the trigger on the Pioneer Elite VSX-33. I passed, and instead went with the non-capable VSX-23 because I was able to stream Pandora from my Samsung BR player. I’m also looking into Sirius Radio, which your current receiver is capable of playing.

In terms of video upconversion, I don’t think it’s necessary unless you’re viewing a lot of non HD channels or VHS. After rereading your original post, it kind of sounds like you may be doing so.

You mentioned sound quality being a top priority. If it were me, I’d probably shoot for a used amplifier, which would utilize your Denon’s preouts. I’m not speaking from experience, but I’ve really dug down and researched the benefits of using an amplifier on this forum and the AVS forum. Then again, you don’t need too much power for your TSis or my RTis.

Simply stated, I’d use the money going for the receiver and instead spend it on a used amplifier.

I’m sure people with more experience with amplifiers will chime in. They may support this, or guide you in a different direction from this suggestion.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7002...2076002&sr=8-1

Marantz sr7002, IMHO is one of the best receivers out there. Amazon is blowing them out at 599 plus free shipping. Retailed for 1300-1400 when it first drop. I love mines. Just my humble opionion.

Quote Originally Posted by rdb2001 View Post

Marantz sr7002, IMHO is one of the best receivers out there. Amazon is blowing them out at 599 plus free shipping. Retailed for 1300-1400 when it first drop. I love mines. Just my humble opionion.
    it looks reallly good..hows the amp sound? marantz is usually very conservative abt their amp rating, so 110wpc is really a lot...
    Front: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSIa4
    Rear: Polk M10
    Receiver: AVR Denon 789
    HTPC Soundcard: Emu-0404 USB for 2.1, Creative X-Fi Platinum for 5.1 (SPDIF out to AVR)
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605
    TV: Toshiba Regza 52' 120Hz

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by SivaNevets View Post
    it looks reallly good..hows the amp sound? marantz is usually very conservative abt their amp rating, so 110wpc is really a lot...
    Marantz receivers have a nice warm sound that is great for music. It puts out respectable power as well. From Sound And Vision magazines test:

93wpc with 5 channels driven
    83wpc with 7 channels driven

Link to the review:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tes...solid-receiver
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

I run my Polks with an older Yamaha RX-V1200 and I absolutely love it. At one point, I owned the RX-V2600 and it was easily the best receiver I had ever owned(I regret selling it :( ).

I would suggest getting the RX-V1900 from New Egg and don't look back.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I've been a Marantz girl for a long time. I have a full Lsi setup with the 15's for the fronts and an SR 9600 driving everything. Such a monster elegant receiver! I love warm sounding articulate music and the Marantz really does it for me. Such a personal thing! Best of luck in your quest! DJ

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by rdb2001 View Post

+1 I had the Yamaha rxv2600 but had problems with a channel going out. I purchased the Marantz on Amazon for $699 and now it is $599.:( The Marantz is wonderful but I am only driving my center and surrounds off the receiver and it gets a little warmer than my Yamaha did. That being said, I really like the warm sound of Marantz as it goes better with my RTi's and haves more than enough power for my center and surround.

Setup:
    --------------------------------------------
    MARANTZ SR7002 AVR
    Parasound HCA1500A Amp
    Rotel RCC-1055 Cd Player
    Pioneer BD320 Blue Ray
    PNF Symphony Speaker Cables
    PNF Icon IC
    D H Labs IC
    PS Audio xStream Power Cables
    Samsung 52 LCD
    Mains Polk RTi12s
    Center Polk CSi5
    Surrounds Definitive Technology BP2X
    Subs Mirage Omni S 10s (2)

I just called up J&R yesterday and they priced match Newegg's Pioneer VSX-1120 to $499 with free shipping.

So I got the same Newegg deal, but I get the warranty.

It'll be here on the 20th.

So i narrowed it down to the Yamaha rx-v1900 or the Onkyo 807. I decided on the Yamaha, had it in my cart, went to dinner and came back and now it's almost $100 higher! I found a refurbed Onkyo 807 for 500 on accessories4less, a used onkyo 805 for 500 on craigslist, and a used Yamaha rx-v1800 on craigslist for 500. It seems the Yamaha 1800 and 1900 are pretty similar but i was still upset i missed the deal on newegg & amazon on the 1900's but an hour or two. I already sold my Denon so it's too late to keep it now, i sold it to my parents as they needed a good receiver and it gave me a chance to upgrade. Any suggestions between the onkyo 807,805 and rx-v1800?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeCourtney View Post
    I just called up J&R yesterday and they priced match Newegg's Pioneer VSX-1120 to $499 with free shipping.

So I got the same Newegg deal, but I get the warranty.

It'll be here on the 20th.
    Need a review once you set it up.

Between the Onk, I'd take the 805 over 807, better amp section.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtut View Post
    Between the Onk, I'd take the 805 over 807, better amp section.
    That's what i've heard, the 807 doesn't really seem to have any more features besides the internet connectivity, which doesn't really matter to me. The ONLY think i liked better on the 807 was that it has a one year warranty and i could add a 3 years warranty for like 35$, so since reliability is a factor with onkyos i won't be screwed if my receiver blows up. But i could go buy the 805 today and i'm not a patient person so thats always a plus.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

That's what i've heard, the 807 doesn't really seem to have any more features besides the internet connectivity, which doesn't really matter to me. The ONLY think i liked better on the 807 was that it has a one year warranty and i could add a 3 years warranty for like 35$, so since reliability is a factor with onkyos i won't be screwed if my receiver blows up. But i could go buy the 805 today and i'm not a patient person so thats always a plus.
    Marantz haves a 3 year warranty;)

OK so i really wanted the Yamaha, and i got one. I got the Rx-v1800 instead of the 1900, because i found one here in mint condition for a steal. I got it all hooked up and am impressed. It is a definite improvement over the denon. It's very clear without being bright, and very loud and dynamic without being overbearing or distorted. It sounded surprisingly good in 2 channel pure mode as well, but i'm not a big stereo guru so some may disagree. Thanks everyone for your input and help!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

OK so i really wanted the Yamaha, and i got one. I got the Rx-v1800 instead of the 1900, because i found one here in mint condition for a steal. I got it all hooked up and am impressed. It is a definite improvement over the denon. It's very clear without being bright, and very loud and dynamic without being overbearing or distorted. It sounded surprisingly good in 2 channel pure mode as well, but i'm not a big stereo guru so some may disagree. Thanks everyone for your input and help!
    Congrats!!

The V1800 is a solid avr. :D;)

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Great decision. Those were my exact thoughts when I upgraded to the 2600 from a Harmon Kardon AVR-435. Enjoy!

Nice, congrats :) I suspect that the SQ on higher end Yamahas is not as bright as the lower end ones (like my prev v663), based on comments on here and my own avr thread.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Quote Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
    Nice, congrats :) I suspect that the SQ on higher end Yamahas is not as bright as the lower end ones (like my prev v663), based on comments on here and my own avr thread.
    That's exactly right, I was expecting MUCH brighter than it is. I figured it would seem exaggerated in brightness after coming from a Denon too. It just sounds very crisp and clean with so much power to spare.

I'm liking my new Denon too - I can play CDs / FLAC on pure direct mode and it sounds great - haven't touched tone controls at all.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Honestly if the 3311 was in my budget I would have snagged it for sure. I liked my 1909 but anything that was a substantial upgrade from the 1909 wasn't cheap. My friend has the 3310 and it's a serious piece of equipment. I bet it matches nicely with your RTI's nicely.

Honestly, I probably spent $300+ more than I should have - and most of that difference is due to tech features (and perhaps a 15wpc bump in avr power). The beauty of pre-outs is that you can have a lesser avr and connect a nice (NAD / Parasound seem to be popular on here) power amp later - or at least that's the vibe I'm getting from reading all these threads.

Yeah the A7s are sounding nice now that they have sufficient power (avr for highs / mids, onkyo amp for woofers).

How do you like the PSW 505 sub btw? You think it'd be overkill for an apt?

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Thread Information