Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Default Just purchased an Onk NR-1007

I took the plunge. I've been operating a Polk SDA combo HT/2channel rig for years with HK235s/245 as a pre-pro. I've been running 3 2 channel Carver and Luxman amps on my mains, center and surrounds. I decided to separate my 1Cs into a dedicated rig. A Luxman pre, Carver TFM 45 and I'm still unsure as to source. I'm selling a pair of SDA 2Bs (surrounds) and replaced my fronts (1Cs) with LS90s and RT35s(surrounds) in a 5.1 HT only rig, Oppo BD83SE as a source. I've been running via analog in and out with the HK and when I replaced the speakers, I've found a 2nd problem with the analog input section on the receiver. So I jumped on the 1007. I've considered dedicated pre/pros, but my amps are old and I'm expecting that they'll need to be serviced, so I wanted something that will operate in the interim if I have one go down. Looked at the SC25, Marantz 7002 and really didn't consider the Onk seriously (though I've read from many I respect great things). What put me off Onks was owning an entry level 5xx series years ago and not hearing much difference when I auditioned the 6xx and 7xx's...not in comparison to the SQ of HKs. However, what turned me onto the 1007 is the latest Audyssey features. I'm hoping the higher model will sound significantly better than what I heard a few years ago (2005-06).

Anyway, since the new HT rig doesn't have nearly the power demand of the SDAs, I'll probably just use a TFM35 on the fronts and let the AVR drive the center and surrounds. I'll connect via both HDMI and analog (the 83SEs analog section is very fine) and decide which is the better fit...HDMI w/Aud or straight analog in Pure Direct mode (or whatever it's called). Going 7.1 or 9.1 doesn't make sense, in this room, at this time.

I'm hopeful. Not that I doubt the 1007 will do a great job. I'll post my thoughts when I get things setup.

HT rig: Polk LS90s (full range), CS400i, RT35s (books), Pb13Ultra, Onk, BD83SE, Carver TFM 35.

2 channel: Polk SDA 1Cs, TFM45, Luxman TP114, source ???.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Ron, Fry's has the 3007 on clearance for $899.

I paid considerably less and I don't need the upscaling bump from the Reon chipset. The Anchor Bay upscaler in the Oppo is equivalent or better, so I'll pass through video. I doubt there's a SQ difference between the 1007 and 3xxx series. Hell, I could have easily gone with an 807 or 08 (for about the $ as the 1007) for the features I want, but the weighty PS, and higher version of Audyssey called my name.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (4)

nice setup..the 1007 is nice. I have thought about upgrading from my onkyo 805, but now considering seperates

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I think you're gonna be happy with the 1007. I've had mine for a bit now, and I'm very happy with it. I'm running 9.1 with height channels and it sounds amazing.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    I think you're gonna be happy with the 1007. I've had mine for a bit now, and I'm very happy with it. I'm running 9.1 with height channels and it sounds amazing.
    I sure hope so. I'll know after the 5th.

Ya know...the 1008 dropped 10lbs in power supply...similar to 805/06 revs. That would make me pause before buying the 08.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

It's here. Box is in good shape and it's heavy. Frankly, I'm intimidated. I've been avoiding using the AVR as a video processor/switch for years and have gone directly from the source to the TV with HDMI. Hope it's not as arcane as some I've seen.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Congrats Ron. I think you are going to love it.
    -Kevin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)

Polk LS 90's - Front
    Polk CS350 LS - Center
    Polk Monitor 50's - Rear
    JBL Northridge E150P - Sub

2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    Polk LS90's (spiked & tweeked)
    Cardas IC's
    Cardas Bi-Wire

Thanks Kevin, I hope so. BTW, really like the 90s. but I'm having serious withdrawal issues not having my 1Cs setup yet.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

I can't really relate, but I empathize. :)

The 90's continue to impress me and I have some serious tube gear in front of them these days.

Enjoy the new Onk!

Ron, what's the verdict? Like/dislike?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Sounds nice Ron! I hope you're enjoying your new toy!

Ed
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : MFW-15 (RIP): Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 : Adcom GFA-7500 : PS3 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Onkyo TX-SR575 : DIRECTV HR22 DVR : LG 50PQ30 HDTV
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic

I haven't hooked up yet, just read the manual enough to get confused about which Monitor/out setting I should use . Planning on both HDMI and analog connections to compare the hi rez codecs and SACD/DVD A. The connections are straight forward, but the settings really don't explain what's what. I'll hook it up shortly and report. Likely, I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'll probably end up using 1/4 of the the features of this AVR which is cool.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Looking forward to the review. I run an older 805 which has a sonically similar signature but not all the 'new' goodies the 1007 has. I also noticed that the 1008 has lost weight like the 806 and subsequent 80x models have since the 805.

I continue to like the higher/heavier Onkyos for AVR service. IMO the sound quality is an improvement over the 500s and the 600s--one that you can easily hear.

Also, I don't use ALL the features even on the, now ancient, TX-SR805.

Keep us posted?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 08-06-2010 at 10:28 AM.

One thing I should have noticed, but didn't, was this model doesn't have a USB port to flash FW updates or play media. The higher models do. I just assumed this one did. I'll have to drag some cat 5 to hook this up via ethernet.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Yeah, no USB... but it's nice to have access to my DLNA server from my AVR. I'm using that feature way more than I ever thought I would. Plus, I just dig being able to upgrade firmwares quickly. I installed a switch behind my equipment stand so I could leave my 1007, Oppo BDP-83 and Xbox 360 hooked up full time.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Had a busy day, but did manage to hook up the new Onk. I made a miscalculation in the shelf height of my open glass TV stand. From shelf to shelf I measured 8 7/8" inches, the 1007 is 7 15/16s. Unfortunately, I didn't bend down and notice the metal rail that supports the glass. It's 1", so I can't slide the AVR into the place I'd designated. The metal rails aren't adjustable. What I can do is remove the TV from the top shelf and drop in the AVR onto the 2nd shelf next to the CS400i (which was also too tall to slide in). Can't do that until my kid comes over on Sunday to help me out. So it's sitting on the floor. Wife's already stubbed her toe. Oh, the horror.

I haven't run Audyssey, just assigned the inputs, BD player and Set Top Box, to HDMI 1 and 3, then HDMI (Main), video Through, to the TV. The manual confused me, but it seems there's no video degradation, so I hope I'm not upconverting twice. I've got both the MCH inputs and HDMI connected from the BD, but the one disk I've tried, Book of Eli, seems to be going over HDMI only, though I haven't figured out how to access MCH. I guess I have to assign it to another input, but I'm not sure how.

The few minutes I heard, seemed very good without any room correction, so I'm pretty sure, this ain't the old Onkyo sound I remember. I need to find out how to enable the analog though. From my cablebox, I removed the digital optical connection. I was getting Dolby Digital through the HK, but for some reason, the Onk is flagging it DPL2x.

Kunta...any tips. I'm reading the manual as I go, but there is some confusion as my questions aren't addressed clearly.

First blush...as I said...this unit has a very refined sound, maybe warmer than the HK. I'm going to like it. I just need to learn how to use it.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Sounds like you have the video settings right. To use the MCH inputs, you have to hit setup, go to 1. Input/Output Assign, then Analog Audio Input and assign the MCH ins to an input. I don't think there's an easy way to swap between them on the fly. That said, I highly recommend sticking to HDMI for Blu-ray disks... then assigning MCH IN to CD and using that for 2-channel listening, since you're rockin' the BDP-83SE.

The Onkyo won't flag anything DPL-IIx... but it can apply DPL-IIx to 2-channel sources to expand them to 5.1 (which works great with TV) and apply it to 5.1 sources to expand them to 7.1 (whereas DPL-IIz does the same for 5.1/6.1/7.1 to 9.1). When you have it on TV, hit the Display button and it should show the input audio (i.e. 2-channel or 5.1). Hit one of the listening mode buttons (Movie/TV, Music, Game, or THX) to cycle through the many audio modes you can apply.

By the way, before you try running Audyssey, GET A TRIPOD. It's really the only way to do it right, and you can slip out of the room and hit Next by remote so you don't affect the readings. And be sure to do all 8 positions so it gets a good idea of your room's acoustics. I really like what Audyssey did with my setup, but it's very much a garbage-in/garbage-out proposition so look at the diagrams in the manual for ideas on mic positions.
    Last edited by kuntasensei; 08-07-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    Sounds like you have the video settings right. To use the MCH inputs, you have to hit setup, go to 1. Input/Output Assign, then Analog Audio Input and assign the MCH ins to an input. I don't think there's an easy way to swap between them on the fly. That said, I highly recommend sticking to HDMI for Blu-ray disks... then assigning MCH IN to CD and using that for 2-channel listening, since you're rockin' the BDP-83SE.

The Onkyo won't flag anything DPL-IIx... but it can apply DPL-IIx to 2-channel sources to expand them to 5.1 (which works great with TV) and apply it to 5.1 sources to expand them to 7.1 (whereas DPL-IIz does the same for 5.1/6.1/7.1 to 9.1). When you have it on TV, hit the Display button and it should show the input audio (i.e. 2-channel or 5.1). Hit one of the listening mode buttons (Movie/TV, Music, Game, or THX) to cycle through the many audio modes you can apply.

By the way, before you try running Audyssey, GET A TRIPOD. It's really the only way to do it right, and you can slip out of the room and hit Next by remote so you don't affect the readings. And be sure to do all 8 positions so it gets a good idea of your room's acoustics. I really like what Audyssey did with my setup, but it's very much a garbage-in/garbage-out proposition so look at the diagrams in the manual for ideas on mic positions.
    Thanks,

Between out posts I was able to assign DD for incoming HD signals. I'll take you advice on the MCH tomorrow. I'll also do Audyssey. I'll see if I can dig out my wife's old photo tripod. I plan on doing all 8 positions, though I really only have 6 seating positions. Hopefully, no one is running a leaf blower when I do.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Ok, I ran Audyssey and I like what it's done for for HT both BD and TV. I've never had the total seamless, immersive effect prior to this, so in that regard, this purchase has been worth it.

Question: If I change any of the settings will that disable the Audyssey EQ? I've read where you can, but, not if that disables anything. It set the LS90s to a 40hz crossover which is slightly above their 3db point of 35hz, which is fine. It also set my CS400i and RT35s at 40hz as well, which is below their 3db points, probably at the very bottom of the 35s range. If I bump them, that's more redirected bass to the sub and logic tells me that it would negate Audyssey. I'm going to leave it alone for now, but kunta or anyone else with Aud please chime in.

I've got some errands, later today I'll put in some DVD As, CDs and SACDs to do the analog comparison. I did assign MCH to AUX, so the audio will work, but I can't imagine how I can get the video to play (DVD A) or access the on screen menus.

Lee, it's a fine AVR, on par with the Pio SCs I've seen. Can't match them for looks, but sound quality is there. The deal killers for me were, no EQ applied below 60hz, fixed crossovers (this is what I understand from what I read) and only being able to matrix SB channels even on a 7.1 source (I'll probably give 7.1 a shot now).

The only thing I've noticed on the Onk that might piss some folks off are the relay clicks which I'm told are addressed in a FW update which I'll apply when I run the cat5 cable into the family room.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

One other thing I liked about the Onkyo over the Pioneers are being able to control the bass/treble for each speaker vs the pioneer the settings apply for all the speakers.

Was waiting on hifi heaven to get the new pioneers in but the cost of the 1007/3007/5007's are steering me toward the onkyo's. Only negative about the Onkyo's are the heat. I'm using a enclosed cabinet so fans will be a must. The Onkyo's also can control 2 subs and since I have dual mp4k's that's a big plus.

Ron, how the heat issue with your 1007?

Thanks
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 08-07-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
    Question: If I change any of the settings will that disable the Audyssey EQ? I've read where you can, but, not if that disables anything. It set the LS90s to a 40hz crossover which is slightly above their 3db point of 35hz, which is fine. It also set my CS400i and RT35s at 40hz as well, which is below their 3db points, probably at the very bottom of the 35s range. If I bump them, that's more redirected bass to the sub and logic tells me that it would negate Audyssey. I'm going to leave it alone for now, but kunta or anyone else with Aud please chime in.
    The -3dB point in the speaker ratings is typically from anechoic readings. You'll almost always get lower extension in-room, which is what Audyssey is detecting.

As far as "logic tells me that it would negate Audyssey", you're actually incorrect. MultEQ XT does far higher resolution equalization on the subwoofer, so it's actually of benefit to set the crossovers up higher than their detected crossover point so that the flatter-EQ'd subwoofer handles more of the non-localizable bass. From my experience, you want to set the crossovers about a half-octave above their -3dB point so that there's a smooth transition from speaker to sub (based on the usual 12dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley style crossover). So for your LS90s, I would bump them up to 50Hz; this will keep them low enough for music and better protect them from the 20-40Hz material placed in digital surround tracks. The CS400i and RT35i would theoretically be set to 70Hz, but if Audyssey is reading in-room extension down to 40Hz, you can probably get away with 60Hz and still have a smooth transition. This will give your speakers a little more available power since the hard-to-reproduce bass will be shifted to the sub, which should result in a cleaner sound at volume.

Changing the crossovers does not disable Audyssey's equalization, and in fact, Chris Kyriakakis of Audyssey has suggested using 80Hz on all channels and letting the sub handle the sub-80Hz bass to free up headroom on the AVR. The only caveat is that Audyssey only equalizes down to the -3dB point it detects for each channel... so never set the crossover point LOWER than what it detected or you're going into un-EQ'd territory. Setting it higher is fine, since it simply throws out the equalization below the new crossover point, shifting it to the subwoofer, which has been equalized with far greater precision than the main channels.

The only thing I've noticed on the Onk that might piss some folks off are the relay clicks which I'm told are addressed in a FW update which I'll apply when I run the cat5 cable into the family room.
    Yeah, the relay clicks are reduced some by the last firmware update, but they're still there. They aren't a dealbreaker for me.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    One other thing I liked about the Onkyo over the Pioneers are being able to control the bass/treble for each speaker vs the pioneer the settings apply for all the speakers.

Was waiting on hifi heaven to get the new pioneers in but the cost of the 1007/3007/5007's are steering me toward the onkyo's. Only negative about the Onkyo's are the heat. I'm using a enclosed cabinet so fans will be a must. The Onkyo's also can control 2 subs and since I have dual mp4k's that's a big plus.

Thanks
    I keep hearing about the heat... but my 1007 just runs kinda' lukewarm, even after loud-as-hell playback with all 9 channels going. I've got a few inches of space above mine, and I've never thought heat was an issue (though I damn sure wouldn't stack any equipment on top of it). It actually has its own fans that only kick in if the heatsinks reach a pretty high temperature... and I've never heard mine come on. But if you're putting it in an enclosed cabinet, fans would definitely be a good idea. That'd be true of any AVR though.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Thanks
    I've got it sitting on the floor until tomorrow, so there's none. I haven't even checked really. My HK used to get hot and I never had a problem.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

I didn't get much time for music yesterday, just a few songs off a BD concert in DTS Master HD and a CD Direct and in Stereo. It's tough to compare since I haven't been listening to music much with the LS90s since the analog section of the HK went haywire. For the concert, I'd heard it on my SDA rig and the LS90s just don't have the grunt. I thought for awhile that Audyssey was the culprit, but after a few songs, I began digging the differences. Yeah, I've lost some of the profound SDA sound, but the LS90s are still very good. The concert was Porcupine Tree, Anesthetize. I'd seen the show, and had only 1 previous listen to the disk. With the SDAs front and back, there was a dense wall of sound, good separation of instruments, vocals good, but slightly lost in all the sound. With the Onk/Audyssey and 90s/35s, there's much greater separation of instruments and micro detail. Drums and bass don't hit as hard, but vocals are crystaline. The Aud soundstage is enveloping. So you notice details that might have been masked before. I think I'll have fun getting used to this. Another thing, there isn't just one sweetspot anymore. I moved back and forth around the room. There were differences, but all seating positions sounded very good.

The CD in stereo mode defaults to 2 channel and sub. Sounds a tad compressed. Direct was much better. However, I won't be listening to many CDs on this rig.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Had an exciting time setting up the 1007 in my TV stand. I measured the TV stand prior to ordering, had an inch to spare, glass to glass on the shelfs, so no problem. Wrong. The non-adjustable metal frame is an inch thick and I didn’t account for it. So I set it up on the floor until my son came over yesterday. We took the stand apart intending to drop the AVR behind the frame. Oops, the Onk is too deep and won’t fit anywhere but on the 2nd shelf beside the center, with about an inch stuck under the frame in the back left corner...won't move any further…oops…the frame still gets in the way, but it fits, halfway in the area the center sat. Moved that over and now I’ll have to run Aud again. Well, it’s in the stand, barely. The glass shelf above the unit sits an inch above the AVR with plenty of room on the sides. I guess I'll see how the unit responds to heat in this situation. I'd think the glass will just reflect it back. If the fans come on I'll know.

Another thing that I discovered in reading over the 55 page thread at AVS. I'm having audio dropouts in DPL2x mode and to a lesser extent in DD when watching HDTB. It seems there's a known problem with HDMI handshakes between the ATT-Uverse VIP 1225 and 1200 set top box and Onks. It's on the ATT side. Hell, I just switched over from Comcast on the 30th for a $40.00/mo reduction. I was having this problem with the HK too over optical. Guess I should have read that thread before I made the switch...it's really a pisser...not on every channel, but it chooses to raise it's ugly head on programs I really want to watch. ATT hasn't addressed this problem after 15 mos. WTF???

Anyway, the AVR barely fits and I've got source problems. Other than that all is good :p.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Had an exciting time setting up the 1007 in my TV stand. I measured the TV stand prior to ordering, had an inch to spare, glass to glass on the shelfs, so no problem. Wrong. The non-adjustable metal frame is an inch thick and I didn’t account for it. So I set it up on the floor until my son came over yesterday. We took the stand apart intending to drop the AVR behind the frame. Oops, the Onk is too deep and won’t fit anywhere but on the 2nd shelf beside the center, with about an inch stuck under the frame in the back left corner...won't move any further…oops…the frame still gets in the way, but it fits, halfway in the area the center sat. Moved that over and now I’ll have to run Aud again. Well, it’s in the stand, barely. The glass shelf above the unit sits an inch above the AVR with plenty of room on the sides. I guess I'll see how the unit responds to heat in this situation. I'd think the glass will just reflect it back. If the fans come on I'll know.

Another thing that I discovered in reading over the 55 page thread at AVS. I'm having audio dropouts in DPL2x mode and to a lesser extent in DD when watching HDTB. It seems there's a known problem with HDMI handshakes between the ATT-Uverse VIP 1225 and 1200 set top box and Onks. It's on the ATT side. Hell, I just switched over from Comcast on the 30th for a $40.00/mo reduction. I was having this problem with the HK too over optical. Guess I should have read that thread before I made the switch...it's really a pisser...not on every channel, but it chooses to raise it's ugly head on programs I really want to watch. ATT hasn't addressed this problem after 15 mos. WTF???

Anyway, the AVR barely fits and I've got source problems. Other than that all is good :p.

Any pics of the problem with the stand and avr?

Any pics of the problem with the stand and avr?
    No, I didn't take any pics. I'll take one later with the AVR crammed in behind the rail. The stand is spec'd for a 65" DLP and has been plenty roomy for 4 years. I've had 3 amps, a BD, AVR, cable box and a CS400i in there (had to drop in the center too as it's almost 9" tall). The frame is stainless stell with 3 glass shelves, open all around except for some support struts.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

On the sound drop issues...an AVS member chimed in that he had the same problem with a Direct TV box (probably the same as mine). He disabled Surround Sound in favor of Stereo and it fixed the problem. I did the same tonight and no more drop outs on 2 channel programs. Wonderful...I either go back to Comcast for more $$$ or enable/disable Surround Sound in the set top box Options when I watch programs. What a hassle. I'm thinking of cancelling.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Played a couple of PT DVDAs last night at -5db. I noticed some surprising things. I was using the analog multichannel ins, so I don't believe Aud was applied.

First the soundstage was wider, with these recordings, through the LS90s than with SDAs. I can only attribute this to the room being too small for the 1Cs and the off kilter speaker arrangement...as well as...the surrounds (RT35s) blend more seamlessly, through the Onk, with the 90s, than the 2Bs did with the 1Cs through the HK. Also the bookshelf speakers are sitting on a higher plane that the 2Bs on the floor. This was very nice.

Second, I just saw this band on the 11th. This is how they sound live, but they have alot of loud and layered detail in their recordings. SDAs picked up that detail and sometimes emphasized it. Harmonics that were prevalent before are now blended. Now you have to listen for them and you'd only know they are there if you'd have heard them on the SDA rig. Some or alot of that detail may have been in the surround channels and RT35s just can't reproduce it like 2Bs can...but as I said...how I heard it last night is how they sound live (with blended layered harmonics rather than emphasized harmonics within the midrange). Don't get me wrong, the rig sounds stunning, but it's definitely different. I'm wondering if the LS90 combo is the more accurate depiction and SDA actually added too much emphasis in the midrange. Thoughts?

Third, I don't know if this is an Onk issue or a trilam tweeter issue. Since I've hooked up the Onk, I've noticed sibilant recordings. I haven't had a sibilance problem for years, but now I'm hearing it in TV voices and some CDs (not the DVDAs I listened to last night. Can someone comment who either has the Onk or LS90s (or both)? If it's the Onk, I can do something about it. If it's the trilam tweeter, well I'll just have to experiment. I have noticed it's more prominent with the Onk than the HK. I hate sibilance.

The Onk at -5 for 2.5 hours got warm, not hot. It certainly has plenty of power to drive 3 speakers :D.
    Last edited by Ron Temple; 08-22-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Thread Information