Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Default Goodbye Sweet Lou!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a lover of the game of baseball I will miss Lou Pinella tremendously.

He was was a tough,fiery,intense,old school competitor, one of the last of a dying breed.

The game will not be the same without him.:(
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Whew, I thought he passed until I looked it up on google! He retired thank God instead.

Sorry I didn't clarify.

He was going to retire after the end of the season, but his 90 year old mother is having health problems so he decided to retire early.

Next to go will be Bobby Cox at the end of the season. Another one of the all time greats who will be sorely missed as well.
    Last edited by Rick88; 08-22-2010 at 06:35 PM.

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I will never forget when Lou bought us a round of drinks after winning the 1990 championship with the Reds.

We were at a bar in Kansas City with some friends watching the World Series and after the Reds won, the waitress came over with another drink order and said they were on Lou.

We did not know we were at a bar owned by Piniella. Pretty cool though.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

He will be missed. I always liked him as a player and manager. I thought he would have done better with the Cubs.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by indyhawg View Post
    He will be missed. I always liked him as a player and manager. I thought he would have done better with the Cubs.
    So did he. Many good managers have come to the Cubs and failed. It is a sad tradition. You can see from this past year and his press conference today the passion sweet Lou haves. As a Cub's fan.....thanks!;)

I don't think there's a question on whether or not he'll reach the Hall of Fame. He's been in the game for over 20 years and his winning percentage nearly matches Tommy Lasorda.

Not only was he good entertainment, but he also brought baseball back to Seattle in the 90s.

Does he hold the record for the longest amount of time spent walking from the dugout to the pitcher's mound? That'll get him into the Hall for sure.

I'll bet he's at least tied with Billy Martin for best onfield temper tantrums.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeb View Post
    I will never forget when Lou bought us a round of drinks after winning the 1990 championship with the Reds.

We were at a bar in Kansas City with some friends watching the World Series and after the Reds won, the waitress came over with another drink order and said they were on Lou.

We did not know we were at a bar owned by Piniella. Pretty cool though.
    Cool story!:D

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Lou is a managerial GOD up here in Seattle. He made us relevant for the first time ever and fans up here will always love him.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

I had to post this as it's one of the funniest Steinbrenner spoofs on Seinfeld ever!

[IMG][/IMG]

Managers walk slow and give their pitchers the longest breather possible...

I left Baseball when the big strike tore it apart many years ago now. It's never been the same- and if you've noticed, basketball and football took over. When I was a kid half the stores in any town USA had the 'ball game' on the radio. America's pastime it is not today. I think we really lost something great. Baseball was always a thinking man's sport.

Quote Originally Posted by munk View Post
    Managers walk slow and give their pitchers the longest breather possible....
    Pinella walked slow enough to make a pitcher go cold.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    Lou is a managerial GOD up here in Seattle. He made us relevant for the first time ever and fans up here will always love him.
    I love Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
    I lived up there for 41 yrs, and one of my better pro sports memories was the 95 run where they knocked the Yankees out in a 5 game series by winning the last three at home.

I worked for a guy from the Bronx at the time...He got a broom placed on his desk after win three.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

I wasn't at the NY series, but I WAS at the 1-game do-or-die game against the Angels that got us in. :)

Lou will almost certainly go into the Hall of Fame. I suppose he'll end up as a Yankee in Cooperstown. :(

Hope Lou does well with his mom. Very tough to lose a mom. Lost mine a few years back and on the verge of losing a very nice mom-in-law now.

Chris

Thread Information