Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default VSX-1120 versus old onkyo 805

Tempted to upgrade to the Pioneer VSX-1120.

I am contempt with my old Onkyo 805, haven't had too many problems with it.

Will I noticed a huge difference if I get the new Pioneer receiver?
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
    Front: LSI15
    Center: LSIC
    Sourround: FxiA4
    Rear: Fxi3
    Sub: Bic H100
    TV: Sony 52' XBR4

"The more time you spend researching here, the less money you will have" :D

Yes you will. You will notice a dramatic DROP in performance. Pioneer makes a fine product but their reputation now is a little laughable as I see people on the web getting rid of absolute monsters in Denon 3808's, Yamaha RXV3900's and now Onkyo 805's in favor of a much cheaper product.

The receiver you have is over 20lbs heavier then the Pioneer model you're looking at. The Pioneer offers great value but new isn't always better. In order to 'upgrade' from your Onkyo your budget will likely have to be around $1.5-$2k.

Really? What kind of performance drop? The new pioneer seem to have better up convert in video. Any others want to chime in?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Pioneer makes some great products. Actually, if I had to choose between the two, I would pick Pioneer. The problem is that if you're going to go with pioneer, only their elite line is worth getting, and even then some of them aren't that great. Lets just say if pioneer made your 805, it would be in the elite line.

Oh, and it's content, not contempt:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt

Unless of course, you actually despise your onkyo 805. If that's the case just send it to me.
    Last edited by messiah; 08-29-2010 at 03:06 PM.

The pioneer would only be a downgrade in actual power and sound, as far as new features and video processing the pioneer would be better. I wouldn't trade an 805 for it personally but do whatever serves your best interest. If you traded your 805 for the 1120 and ran an amp with it you'd have an awesome setup.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

If I do get the 1120, I would be running off a XPA-5. I doing this today with my 805...

Maybe I should hold off on this decision

Member Sales Rating: (2)

What are your reasons for wanting a new receiver?

I was debating on getting the 805 before I purchased my Elite. From everything I've read, the 805 is a pretty darn good receiver.

Besides possible sound differences, what's appealing about the Pioneer that the 805 can't deliver?

From my own experience, I heard a noticeable difference in dynamics when I switched over to the Elite from the Onkyo 607. With that being said, I don't know how much of a difference you'll hear between the 805 and an Elite (or the 1120), as the 805 is already a couple of steps beyond the 607.

My main motivation is really sound quality. I like a cooler sound. The Onkyo produces a warmer sound tones (at least to my ears).

Also, my 805's "pure mode" sucks... anyone having this problem?

I decided to hold off on the "upgrade" until next year

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I owned the 805 and enjoyed it. I was also using it with a Emotiva XPA-3. It was very fatiguing for music but sounded good for movies and tv. Both those pieces are on the bright side of the spectrum. I switched out everything in my system looking for a more laid back sound. I think no matter what you run the emotiva with will sound fatiguing and bright. I went through many receivers and preamps trying to tame it, but finally realized it was the weak link. I swapped it out for a B&K amp and it was night and day. Ten times more 3D and VERY easy on the ears. I have a pioneer elite vsx21-txh now only serving for movies and tv. I use a krell integrated amp for 2ch music.
    Im happy now. My next upgrade will be new speakers, but Im just waiting for a great deal to come along.
    Good luck on your audio journey.
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo99 View Post
    My main motivation is really sound quality. I like a cooler sound. The Onkyo produces a warmer sound tones (at least to my ears).

Also, my 805's "pure mode" sucks... anyone having this problem?

I decided to hold off on the "upgrade" until next year
    That's really interesting. I actually switched out my Onkyo 607 because it was too "bright." The Elite is much warmer IMO, which is what I've been striving for this past summer. With this being said, there could definitely be a difference in terms of sound between the 607 and 805.

As already mentioned, and from what I've read, the Emotiva's are a rather bright amplifier. This is the main reason why I swayed away from Emotiva amplifiers -- I already had bright speakers to begin with.

The above info probably didn't help in your "pure mode" dilemma, but at least it got a bump.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Pure mode does suck.. It should be called no bass mode or thin mode. I never used it when listening to music with the 805.
    Living Room setup: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, Krell KAV 300i, PS Audio DL III DAC, Tyler Acoustics Taylo 7u, Dynaudio Audience 120C+, SVS 25/31PCI, B-P-T Clean Power Center, Ps3, Panny 50" S1 Plasma, Tekline speaker cables, Audio Art interconnects, and Pangea power cables.

Thread Information