Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Acurus A250

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Acurus A250

Good Morning Fellers,

I got a quick question about this amp. There is one on the Gon that would be local for me. I've sent the gentleman an email asking him questions as to how old, original owner, performance... He told me;

Yes, I am the original owner and I purchased it as part of an overall stereo/surround sound system about 13 yrs. ago.
    It was always an exceptional combo with the Acurus preamp (also for sale on audiogon) and the other components I had.
    Plenty of power and but not over the top.
    I am not too knowledgeable about the detailed specs and how they might interact with your system but I was always impressed by the quality and clarity of sound. I would not describe it as "bright" if that helps you any.
    He has it priced pretty cheap and right in my wheelhouse right now for a potential buy. I just want to make sure that i'm either looking at a piece of junk or not. I've read the COUPLE of threads on it here but there wasn't much for info on it. Due to age, there isn't much for reviews out there...13 years old....good/bad. Pairing with Polks?

Advice?:o
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Rice is great when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something - MH

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20
    Polk RTiA5's

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Bulletproof amp. Lots of power. Not junk by any means. Not the ultimate in audiophile sound, but its every bit as good as the likes of Rotel, Adcom, etc.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

BillBillw~
    i was actually hoping you would chime in on this because i read your thread about the one you sold a couple of months ago.
    I just want to clarify that i cannot afford the ULTIMATE in audiophile gear so i am in the middle class...just on the lower side.
    You don't think that 13 years is bad? I know you guys are kicking around gear from 70's, 80's, early 90's that you all still love so you will not be biased towards age since it is not a problem.
    How would classify the sound this thing can produce. My A5's are a little bright but i love them none the less. Will this soften them a little or make them bright as all hell?
    I looked up as much as i could but didn't notice if it had a 12v Trigger on it. Is it to old to have something like that?
    Any more info you can spit at me would be appreciated.
    2.0 - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65 ,Zu Mission SC's, Audio Technica TT, Bugle2 & Bottlehead Reduction Phono Pre's, PS Audio UPC200, Doug's Int's
    HT - Anthem MRX300, RTIA3's, RTIA1's, CSIA4, DSW400, 55ST30, APC H15, 360 Elite, Panny DMP-BD35K

Rice is great when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something - MH

Looking for new homes....
    MIT EXp2 Cables
    Anthem MCA20
    Polk RTiA5's

Member Sales Rating: (28)

The Acurus does not have any 12v triggers. Its on or off from the front switch. Its a pretty neutral amp, so it won't soften your speakers or make them any brighter. It might be a little smoother due to the extra power though.

Age of the amp should not be a concern. Its a fairly cool running amp and a simple circuit design. Not much to go wrong, that's why they have a bulletproof reputation.

Member Sales Rating: (24)

i have this Amp powering my SDA SRS 2.3TL's and a CSi5. i like it. i still want more power but for the price its a nice amp. down fall there is no trigger but thats not that bad. it does not run hot.
    mole'

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I just bought one and think it's a fine amp.

For 300 or less it's a great deal. It was 1000.00.

If you want to see it's insides, look at "show me your assembly and .."..or search this forum.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Very good amp. Stereo Review did a review of the unit. Google it. I have one and am very happy. Very neutral and cool running. Reliability has been rock solid.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Don't these amps have the 2 big Mallory cans(caps)? Just wonder if anyone has had to replace one of those monsters?

Thread Information