Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default should i build my own turntable wall mount?

I am wondering, if for the prices they are asking, it would be practical and cost efficient to do my own wall mount for my turntable, Gemini PT-2000 @ 27 pounds, which is a copy of the Technics SL1200.

I mean, would it be that hard? Am I missing something here? It looks like you go to the hardware store, buy a few good L-brackets, or other mounting hardware, drill it into the studs, and add your preferred medium as a platform.

Can anyone give any advice, point me in the right direction maybe? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks a bunch,
    Matt :D
    [SIZE="1"]Mitsubishi 60" HD LDP
    Polk RTI-A3 L/R
    Csi-a4 CC
    Polk CSW 10 Sub
    Pio. Elite VSX-03
    Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-Ray
    Polk Fxi3s for surround.[/SIZE]

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I built my own, yes it can be as easy as it sounds. Got the heavy duty triangular shelf brackets from Home Depot for the supports and used 3/4" MDF for the platform. I cut 6 18x22 inch pieces of MDF and laminated them together using construction adhesive. After the shelf was dry I sprayed it with automotive undercoating from a rattle can. The shelf sits on 3 spikes that are bolted through the supports.

The wall I have mine bolted to is cinder block. Between the supports and the wall I used some sheet rubber that's used under door threshholds to make a more secure connection.

The whole thing may have cost me $40.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Member Sales Rating: (23)

I built my own back in Maine like that. I didn't have the means or free time recently so I bought the Binderman type; also because I wanted to flush to the top of my cabinet/rack.

Pricey, but VERY well executed.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

WOW! Is that nice or what!?! What kind of wood base is being used there Doc?

Maple. I had entertained putting Dynamat on the bottom. Will explore that after more resonance tests.

The wall mount platform is offered in the following sizes:
    20.5" wide by 16.5" deep...cost $549
    24.0" wide by 18.5" deep...cost $589
    27.0" wide by 18.5" deep...cost $609
    The weight capacity of a properly installed wall mount turntable platform is 125 lbs.
    Steve is top notch.

Here's mine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post
    Maple. I had entertained putting Dynamat on the bottom. Will explore that after more resonance tests.

Steve is top notch.
    I thought so . . . great wood for isolation and tuning!;) Careful with the Dynamat Doc. I lined a platform for a TT years ago with Sorbothane sheets and the when I playes the TT it sounded muddied and mushy. Sorbothane sheets are easy to remove, Dynamat is not so easy.
    Last edited by hearingimpared; 09-03-2010 at 04:59 PM.

I think this design is great, but you need some serious materials; I'd love to see DIY versions.

Banned

We posted at the same time Doc. Check the post above your last one.

Thanks. Also, I think I previously abandoned the idea because it would mean pulling out the cabinet to get under the platform.

I'm looking at adding some BDR pucks, possibly the very thin new ones, in conjuction with some Herbie's dots under them.

I have a lead on BDR Source shelf, 16x20, for $500 new but it would shrink my usable width a bit and my phono stage would sit a tiny bit off the edge. Not sure what to do. The BDR is pricey enough just putting together some pucks, the Source shelf keeps tempting me.

I currently use Maple and I won't be able to test anything for awhile, maybe I should jump on it.

Banned

Pierre makes some great solid tweaks. He's a bit of a nut but knows good sounding music reproduction and has spent his life in the pursuit of awesome sound music through tweaks as well as other items.

I'm looking at adding some BDR pucks, possibly the very thin new ones, in conjunction with some Herbie's dots under them.

I have a lead on BDR Source shelf, 16x20, for $500 new but it would shrink my usable width a bit and my phono stage would sit a tiny bit off the edge. Not sure what to do. The BDR is pricey enough just putting together some pucks, the Source shelf keeps tempting me.

I currently use Maple and I won't be able to test anything for awhile, maybe I should jump on it.
    I use BDR cones (Mk IV) on the four corners of my turntable base in conjunction with Quest for Sound's Isol-Pads. http://www.questforsound.com/accesso...sqIsolPads.htm

Great stuff those Isol-Pads. The price in the link is incorrect. It is $25 for a set of four. Beware of imitations. These things really work. BTW Mapleshade had a similar product but for once I have to say Pierre missed the mark on these. Too small and too high! Isol-Pads are thin and perfect and really work. I use them under all my components.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I built my own back in Maine like that. I didn't have the means or free time recently so I bought the Binderman type; also because I wanted to flush to the top of my cabinet/rack.

That's Very Hot!, Very nice Job!!!, I'd buy a TT just because I'd want a shelf like that too!!!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Turntable Mount

I'm sorry for adding to such an old post, but I tried looking for this mount and couldn't find it anywhere. Can you tell me where this mount comes from? It looks great and may be just the mount I need for my system. Thank you

It's a Blindermann wall mount. Not cheap but very well flush
    designed

Thread Information