Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question Elan Z-660 amplifier

So i'm doing my daily craigslist browsing and I came across an Elan z-660 6-channel home theater amp, which can be be bridged to 120watts rms @ 8ohms. Originally I was considering purchasing this to run my fronts but what little info I could find says the sound quality sucks and it wouldn't be an improvement from my Rxv-1800. However after e-mailing the guy I got him down to $75 and it's still in the original box and plastic wrap. The "retail" price is $820 and I found a few used in the 250-300 range. So should I just scoop this and ask questions later, try to use it, or buy it and try to throw it on fleabay? Any advice or opinions on these amps would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Honestly, after doing a Google search the descriptions and pics look cheesey as in really cheap junk made with advertizing copy and pics to make it seem like it's cutting edge stereo gear.

I'd stay far away as they have the look and promotion of "white van" products.

YMMV

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I was getting that vibe too, I saw people were using them for small outdoor speakers and things like that, thanks for the advice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing on a decent or underpriced amp for $75.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Elan isn't crappy gear(not cutting edge either). It's just now what you're needing. When I used to do whole home installs, that's what I used(been years ago). If you're wanting to power a couple of zones for background, snag it. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone-it won't be an improvement over what you've got.
    Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR
    Onkyo M-501-Given to my father.
    Onkyo DX-C730 CD Changer
    Onkyo DV-BD507 Blu Ray player
    Onkyo CP-1036A turntable with Grado, Audio Technique, and Azden cartridges(GOT CARTRIDGE??)
    Polk Monitor 12's with RDO's and XO's
    Polk CS300 Center
    Polk Monitor Series 4 rears

EBAY is like cocaine. At first you only look, next thing you know, your house is full of crap you have no idea why you own.

Yeah the reason I was looking was for home theater purposes and want a 3 or 5 channel amp that would be a step up from my Yamaha. Doesn't sound like what I need but I knew this was the place to come ask. Thanks for the help.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Honestly, after doing a Google search the descriptions and pics look cheesey as in really cheap junk made with advertizing copy and pics to make it seem like it's cutting edge stereo gear.

I'd stay far away as they have the look and promotion of "white van" products.

YMMV

H9
    Are you kidding? Elan is sold in high-end audio stores specifically for the custom install market. Far from junk, and very expensive.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Thread Information