Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Floorstanding with Wall mounted TV?

If my tv is mounted above the fireplace about 6.5/7 feet above the floor, and my center channel will be wall mounted just under the tv. I would really like to put two monitor 70's on the floor about 3 feet below the tv and and approximately 5 feet to the left and right on either side.

Will this sound right being that the sound is coming from the same level as the TV or should i just go with monitor 30/40 and wall mount the on the sides of the tv?

I personally don't think floorstanders will sound right, with the TV and center being so high up. Not sure if someone else has a different opinion??

FWIW, when watching our system, the audio pans just seem to flow perfectly side-to-side. We have floorstanders, the center is on top of the AV cabinet, and the TV is just above that. The below pic is a bit misleading as it was taken from a standing position. The center is closer to the bottom of the TV when seated...

You might want to consider the Monitor 20/30s you mentioned, or possibly going with in-wall speakers...just a thought!
    Main HT:
    Epson 7500UB
    135" Elite Screens fixed frame
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Emotiva UPA-7
    Oppo BDP-83
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax M5410 Pro
    Polk RTi A7's, CSi A6, TC80i, 65-RT
    Seaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" (orig. AV123 MFW-15)
    Velodyne SMS-1
    I/Cs: Kimber 8TC/WBTs (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruout
    Harmony 1100
    Salamander Triple 20 C/B

* FOR SALE NOW: CSi40, Harmony 1100

Quote Originally Posted by mak99 View Post
    I personally don't think floorstanders will sound right, with the TV and center being so high up. Not sure if someone else has a different opinion??

FWIW, when watching our system, the audio pans just seem to flow perfectly side-to-side. We have floorstanders, the center is on top of the AV cabinet, and the TV is just above that. The below pic is a bit misleading as it was taken from a standing position. The center is closer to the bottom of the TV when seated...

You might want to consider the Monitor 20/30s you mentioned, or possibly going with in-wall speakers...just a thought!
    That is a nice setup - any problems with reflections off the cabinet from your center channel speaker? The A6 would be a good match for an upgrade - and it tilts up...
    Last edited by spock 2054; 09-11-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/syst...?userid=114347
    polk monitor 70's
    center - polk monitor cs2
    surround - polk monitor 60's
    surround back - jbl e10
    sub - velodyne dps 12
    sub - polk psw110
    avr/pre-amp - onkyo tx-nr809
    amp - carver av405
    display - sharp lc70le847u
    internet devices - WD TV Live Hubs
    blu-ray - sony bdp s770
    blu-ray - pansonic dmp bdt 310
    hd dvd - toshiba hd xa2
    dvr - sony dhg hdd250
    control - logitech harmony one
    turntable - technics sl1500 mkII

A TV 7 feet off the ground is really high in my opinion. What I would do is try the 70's next to it and see what you think. If you dont like it get some 40'3 and mounts and mount them. The best thing about this hobby is trying different things.
    Front - RTiA5's
    Rear - RTiA3's
    Center - CSiA4
    Sub - PSW110

Member Sales Rating: (2)

The botom of my TV is as 6' with my csi3 on my mantle at 5' and really like my setup.
    It took a bit to get used to the TV being that high up so I move my couch back around 18" and it worked out fine.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Forgot to mention I did angle my center downward a bit. But it works fine with floor towers.

I have read somewhere the tweeter for the center should be +/- 24 inches of the height of the L/R speakers. I am not sure how tall your floorstanders are, and I am not sure exactly where the tweeter is located in your floorstanders.

How far away from your TV will you be sitting? 7 feet off the ground is pretty darn high. Have you actually watched the TV at that height? I experimented with TV over the fireplace. Bottom edge of the TV was planned to be 56" off the floor. The "guideline" is 15 degrees of upward viewing angle see http://elifespaces.com/blog/2009/08/...ver-fireplace/

I rigged at 56" stand and placed the TV in front of the fireplace. I watched it that way for about a month. Standing, it looked great. Asthetically, it would look great. I could just not get comfortable looking that high, and I was only measuring a 12 degree angle.
    Last edited by polktiger; 09-11-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Thread Information