Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default I bought a yaqin mc10l today

Silly question but what do you have to do a setup a tube amp?

I have heard the bias word but dont have a clue what it means

Will I have to buy some kinda volt meter for this bias?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Yes, you will need a voltmeter.
    Did you buy the latest version where the bias adjustments are on the outside?
    Last edited by michaeljhsda2; 09-10-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Also if it's new do NOT trust that it came from the factory biased properly. If you bought it used I wouldn't believe the previous owner either unless you get the sense in corresponding with him that he does know what he's doing and set it properly.

I listened to the previous owner of one of my tube amps when he said the bias didn't need to be adjusted and I ended up burning out a tube up. The tube was not a cheap Chinese tube either, but a fairly expensive 50's RCA 6V6 blackplate that was part of a matched quad of power tubes.

Also never power up a tube amp without a load hooked up, meaning speakers. You can damage the transformers if you run a tube amp with out speakers hooked up or if you're familiar with electronics you can configure a "dummy" load in place of the speakers. Sometimes this is easier when you want to bias a tube amp. In your case if you bought the newer version it won;t be necessary to make a dummy load because accessing the bias points are easy.

One of my tube amps needs to biased from the bottom with the bottom plate removed. Meaning I have to turn it upside down and rest it on the tube cage to make bias measurements and adjustments. I'd say when it's new check the bias initially maybe once a week for a month and after that perhaps every 6 months depending on use. Always check the bias when rolling tubes and adjust accordingly.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 09-11-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

One of the nice things about a manual bias amp is it's not necessary to buy power tubes that are closely matched because you can set the bias for each individual tube. A fixed bias amp needs to use closely matched tubes for best performance because there is no way to compensate for tubes that aren't matched.

In the end this can mean buying tubes to roll is cheaper since a closely matched quad or pair usually is more expensive. Of course it doesn't hurt to get them all matched if you're not paying a premium to do so.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

my tube amps being deliverd today and my wife doesnt know it!!!! lol

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Your amp should come with biasing instructions and how-to, and posting pictures can let us help you out better. It's a pretty easy process, and it makes amps more fun and interactive for me. Good luck!

tnx Z

I will post pics as soon as the ups guy drops it off and have you guys to help me through it

Even though its not a million dollar amp I'm still very excited to have a listen .Tube amps are sexy looking so its gona be awesome to have it sitting out on my rack

Member Sales Rating: (6)

You can't post pics cause the wife don't know yet, huh?...LOL Kidding man, I kid because I care.

The instructions that came with my MC-10L are very brief, however, biasing the amp is very simple. Attach speakers to the amp and power the amp on. After a few minutes check V1 first. The reading should be between 350 to 400 millivolts. Then check V2, V3 and V4. Use the supplied allen wrench to make adjustments. Turning the allen wrench clockwise increases the voltage. It doesn't take much of a turn, perhaps an 1/8 of a turn, to get a change in voltage. The front 4 tubes do not get biased.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    You can't post pics cause the wife don't know yet, huh?...LOL Kidding man, I kid because I care.
    I took a holiday today and the wifes on her lunch break right now so I'm frieking out incase the door goes get a loud knock from the ups guy holding a package lol

She'l be gone in 25 minutes and it seems like hours .I'm sweating like a mofo

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Married men all over this great country know your pain, and sympathize. Might I suggest reminding her how much you love her?

Audiophile

Send it to your work; Problem solved. :D

All clear !! The enemy has left the target zone

The slinky fox is in the hole lol

Nice sturdy packaging foam with treasure inside
    Attached Images  

Audiophile

Looks good! What will you be powering with it? Does it come with a remote?

:D come to dadda
    Attached Images  

Audiophile

Yaqin makes good looking products.

Tubes came nice and secure inside plastic pvc pipe...I remember being told no touching the tubes with bare fingers......am all excited here guys:)
    Attached Images  

The yaqin doesnt have an instuction manual and all I have is this sh*ty volt meter
    Attached Images  

What's the ohm rating on your speakers?

To test it I will be using 8ohm polks rti8 for starters then when I'm confident with it being setup I will be using my 6 ohm martin logan source

For the ML's the 4 ohm taps might sound better but try it on the 4 and the 8 ohm and see if you can tell any diff. I use the 4 ohm taps on the SDA 1C's and the 8 ohm taps for the 1.2TL's.

I'm scared that I might bust the connectors for the tubes .....do you have to realy force them down?

Member Sales Rating: (44)

Yeah. A little. There virgins at this point. They'll loosen up over time.;)

Nik

Well everythings hooked up ....should I power it up or do I have to check stuff with the volt meter?

:D Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This aint even broken in yet and I can just tell its got way more authority than the onkyo 607 lol(obviously) . I feel that my reciever has robbed me of my audio childhood

The yaqin started up wierd ....Just clicked into my head that the tubes warm up:):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Holy sh*t .....Theres so much slam as Ive gone through some tecno music
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357[1].jpg‎
Views:	159
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	52047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358[1].jpg‎
Views:	183
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	52048  

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    :D Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This aint even broken in yet and I can just tell its got way more authority than the onkyo 607 lol(obviously) . I feel that my reciever has robbed me of my audio childhood

The yaqin started up wierd ....Just clicked into my head that the tubes warm up:):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Holy sh*t .....Theres so much slam as Ive gone through some tecno music
    That was my reaction when I had it running the 1.2TL's. :) I'm really impressed with these amps.

Shuguang EL34's come with the newest version of the Yaqin MC-10L...not a bad tube at all IMO. One day I might replace them with the Shuguang Treasure series. I did replace the 6N1's with NOS Russian military 6N1P's but I haven't noticed any improvement or degradation in sound quality.

Audiophile

Looks like we have another believer, and I may have to consider buying the 300B Yaqin amp... I've only heard good things about their line-up so far.

Congrats on the great amp! How's the biasing coming?

Audiophile

Shuguang tubes are pretty decent tubes, and the best of the Chinese stock tubes that I've found. I was real happy with my old EL34 amp leaving the Shuguang output EL34 and swapping out the signal tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljhsda2 View Post
    Shuguang EL34's come with the newest version of the Yaqin MC-10L...not a bad tube at all IMO. One day I might replace them with the Shuguang Treasure series.
    The Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z tube is a great performer and that whole line of tubes makes me second guess buying popular NOS tubes.

Thread Information