Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    I'm gona go buy a better one later on tonight so I know its done right but right now I'm just listening down realy low
    It doesn't matter if you listen low or at normal volume, if the bias is too far off you shorten tube life and or components. Not saying you are, but just pointing out that just having the unit powered up with improperly biased tubes still can cause damage. Just in case you were thinking since it's playing at a low volume you can't do any damage.

I'm anal about this because I ruined a perfectly good NOS measuring RCA gray glass, black plate 6V6 power tube doing the exact same thing you are doing.................listening to an improperly biased tube amp because I wanted to hear it before properly checking everything. It was biased almost twice as high as normal and it took about 20 minutes to completely ruin a fairly expensive tube. So I know from experience and just trying to save you from making a mistake.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 09-21-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

what is the power rating per ch. at 4 ohms?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

can you run this amp with sda's?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I dont know what the 4ohm spec is on this but michaeljhsda who has posted owns this amp and sda's pm him as he's very helpful

Michael doesnt notice a diff using the 4ohm taps and he informed me it drives his speakers to ear blistering levels

I bought that voltmeter from radio shack and found all my tubes were too highly biased V1 was at 432 V2 was 405 V3 was 416 and V4 was 402

I set all my tubes to the 360 370 range

The multimeter was awesome and easy to use compared to that other POS I bought from walmart

Member Sales Rating: (13)

52 watts at 8 ohms and I have no idea how many watts at 4 ohms but they sound great on the SDA's no matter what (the amp is common ground).

Now you're cooking with glass PFB :)
    Last edited by michaeljhsda2; 09-21-2010 at 10:30 PM.

I tryed the yaqin on my polk rti8 just now using the 8 ohm taps and they didnt sound the slightest bit close to the martin logan source when it comes to the bass output

I planned to keep the rti8 but now I'm gona sell them and buy a pair of LSI9's for the chill room where my friends smoke and drink .If I had the space I would love to buy a pair of sda's though and have a good listen to see what makes people love them

Quote Originally Posted by mewisemagic View Post
    what is the power rating per ch. at 4 ohms?
    Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    I tryed the yaqin on my polk rti8 just now using the 8 ohm taps and they didnt sound the slightest bit close to the martin logan source when it comes to the bass output

I planned to keep the rti8 but now I'm gona sell them and buy a pair of LSI9's for the chill room where my friends smoke and drink .If I had the space I would love to buy a pair of sda's though and have a good listen to see what makes people love them
    Did you try the rti8's on the 4 ohm taps? Just wondering if the bass output would improve or not.

I thought about it but did not know you could do that since it was 8 ohms for the polks

I will definetly have a crack at doing 4ohm into the rti8's tomorow when the wifes awake

Do tube amps break in like speakers ? ie , does the soundstage open up way more??

Yes break-in does occur, however, IMO the amp already sounds good right out of the box, even better after the tubes warm up after about an hour or so.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

New amps can defenitly break in over the first 100 hours but the changes may not be a drastic as with some speakers. Tube amps output (either through the 8 ohm or 4 ohm) does not change much like most SS amps since the transformers dictate this by where the output is tapped from in the windings.

Thread Information