Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Talking Couple of Questions about Parasound 2250

Hey guys ..so I caved a week ago and picked up a lightly used Parasound NC2250 amp on Audiogon for ~$550 less MSRP. So this will be my first foray into these higher powered amps - and hopefully my RTi A7s will be better for it :)

Anyway just had a few questions setup-wise before I get it (it'll come in Wed).

1 - Gain: presumably, I should leave the gain levels at THX reference?

2 - Wiring: should I bother bi-wiring or should I just replace the bridges and use one speaker wire for each speaker?

Anything else I should be aware of when I get this puppy?

Thanks!
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Member Sales Rating: (1)

1. Recommend to turn the gain levels at THX ref. You might experience hum noise if you have cable/direct TV hook up to your TV.

2. Don't bother bi-wiring.

congrats on the amp. I have HCA 2205 and love it.

What K0 said, congratulations enjoy!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Thanks for the input! Yeah I was looking at some A21s at first, but those were a bit out of my range - looking forward to getting my hands it.

Umm, my motorola dvr (comcast hd) is connected to the avr - allows pass through to the TV when the avr is off. But I usually watch tv in 5.1 - is the hum minor?

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

I ran my cable through a monster clean power center (large power strip) before taking it to the dvr and it clean up the hum totally. Sounds like your tv set up is similiar to mine.
    Mains - LSi9's
    Center - LSiC
    Amplification - Parasound 2125
    AVR - Onkyo 706
    CD/SACD - Onkyo DV-SP506
    SUB - MartinLogan Abyss
    55" Panasonic Viera TC-P55GT30 3D
    Bluray - DMP-BDT310 Panasonic

Alright - that's how I have it set up as well. cable goes into monster clean power center and then to the DVR.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Parasound makes great amps and I love mine. I agree with setting the gain all the way at THX and not bothering to biwire. My question to you is did you get the original parasound power cable? Parasound had higher grade power cables that they sold with their amps. I did not know this when I purchased my used Parasound and never bothered to ask. I fixed that by buying a PS audio xstream power cable.

@dekuda

I have no idea man. The audiogon seller owns a hifi shop in philadelphia (community audio), so I'd assume that the amp would come with original accessories. Should I find out? Or would I be able to tell from looking at it? I won't get it until Wednesday.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

I apologize, the older HCA amps I believe had the Wan Lung audiophile grade power cable. This being a newer model I am not sure what power cable these come with. Either way, I would ask if this is the original OEM cable that came with it. I would think it should at least be 14 guage. If it is not 14 quage or lower I have some extra 14 quage power cables and I can ship you one for the cost of shipping if you need.

Thanks - let me see what it comes with - I may take you up on that offer if necessary

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

The gain controls are a nice feature for their multichannel amps in the event that you don't have individual speaker settings on your preamp / processor, lets you balance different speakers out (otherwise max is best sq). I'm not sure if John Curl was on board for the NC series but his older designs for Parasound are of excellent quality and value, I've owned them as well.
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500

Well, I'm very curious about what effect the amp will have on my RTi A7s - it's coming in tomorrow. Totally looking forward to hooking it up and cranking some Floyd (probably Meddle, and Wish You Were Here .... I love listening to these 2 albums on the A7s.)

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Depending on the fidelity of your speakers, you might be surprised to find less difference than expected. Definitely going to resolve the details better. Remember though, you are still running your signal through the receiver, you're just skipping the amp portion. Investing in a preamp should make you significant gains.
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II

For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I think you may be pleasantly surpised, even running the signal through your AVR. Post your impressions after a couple of days....:)
    Home Theater (5.1)
    Optoma HD-25LV PJ
    Pioneer SC-63 AVR
    Pioneer BDP-95F
    Parasound HCA 1205
    Monster 2500 Power
    Polk RTIa9
    Polk CSIa6
    Polk FXIa6
    Polk DSW 600

Music Setup
    Polk LSiM703s
    Music Hall A70.2 Integrated
    Music Hall 25.3 DAC
    Cambridge 640 v2 CDP
    Yamaha T-1 Tuner

I hope so :)

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

I think you will notice quite a difference. I know I did when I added a Parasound 1500A hooked into my receiver.

My last upgrade was to switch out my receiver for a dedicated prepro, while I did hear an improvement, it wasn't as great as the improvement with the amp.

To date, my greatest & best improvement was adding the most powerful amp that I could afford. Which leads me to believe that the best thing to do is to make sure that your speakers get all the power that they need to operate to their full potential.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

@cfrizz

To date, my greatest & best improvement was adding the most powerful amp that I could afford
    That has been a common piece of advice on here - and one that I based my amp choice on.

My last upgrade was to switch out my receiver for a dedicated prepro, while I did hear an improvement, it wasn't as great as the improvement with the amp.
    Thanks, that's a great insight and something I was wondering about after reading a few of the recent posts.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

The biggest improvement i have noticed to date is adding my av9 to the mix. I tried putting an Arcam avr350 in it's place for about an hour and it came back out in a hurry. This was my first dedicated processor and couldn't believe how good true separates could be. But adding that amp to the mix is really gonna make you smile too. It's amazing how much more woofer control and oomph a dedicated amp will do for you. Enjoy!

btw... have you got some good ic's ready for that amp?
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W

Nothing fancy - the current Onkyo power amp powering the woofers is connected to the pre-outs via some Monster THX cables ... these I believe.

Good enough, or do you guys have suggestions? I only need like a 4 ft cable. I bought this one b/c I needed one asap a while back.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

It's here! Unpacking.....

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

holy hell...just realized what my speakers are supposed to sound like.

honestly, I think I'm in shock ;)

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

:D Welcome to the wonderful world of seperate amplification, enjoy!!!:)

The only words I can think of at the moment are that the RTi A7s sound FULL.

@cfrizz

Thanks! I think I'm starting to understand now lol.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Quote Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
    Hey guys ..so I caved a week ago and picked up a lightly used Parasound NC2250 amp on Audiogon for ~$550 less MSRP. So this will be my first foray into these higher powered amps - and hopefully my RTi A7s will be better for it :)

Anyway just had a few questions setup-wise before I get it (it'll come in Wed).

1 - Gain: presumably, I should leave the gain levels at THX reference?

2 - Wiring: should I bother bi-wiring or should I just replace the bridges and use one speaker wire for each speaker?

Anything else I should be aware of when I get this puppy?

Thanks!
    1. Yes

2. No

Take all of this in baby steps. If you're happy with the results, then simply enjoy. Audio is a really fun hobby but don't get consumed with all the minute things you can do,read and all the tweaks you might try...dude, it's just fun.

Play your favorite music, listen....really listen and enjoy everything. The rest is for a later date. Great choice in amplifier as your miles above other folks.

Thanks dorukusai -

I am indeed cycling through all my favorite music and listening (and feeling) the difference. The A7s just sound more powerful throughout the spectrum - dishes actually rattled a little when I was playing Weezer's 'Say It Ain't So' - that was a first.

Admittedly, I do get a little OCD on the details (same w/ computers) so you are right, I should just listen and enjoy.

Thank you guys for all your input/patience since the day I asked "Cherry RTi A7s - where are they!?" :) I will attempt to help out as well.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

PrazVT, You are exactly right. Let everything settle in and relax and enjoy the music. If you are like many of us you will get the itch to upgarade in the future and you will get many suggestions here if you need. But with that amp and your RTIa A7's you are on the right path.Enjoy!

Seriously, this is audio nirvana right now. Listening to Dire Straits right now and Knopfler's guitar work just sounds amazing. Another difference from before - it sounds like the music is filling the whole front of the room - as opposed to hearing 2 speakers (if that makes sense). That reminds me - I should probably brush up on the subjective audio terms ;)

@ dekuda

Definitely will do - have a lot of learning to do yet!

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Dire Straights?? One of my favs too. Congrats on your new amp. Makes a world of difference for HT too.

congrats man. Take those grills off and watch those woofers dance. It's amazing how much more they move now isn't it?
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W

Yes! The woofers are dancing now :) Amazing indeed!

Home Theater:

2 Channel:

Thread Information