Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    87

    Default What to upgrade?

    Iíd like to improve my current system, but Iím not sure what upgrade to make right now. My current set-up is:

    Receiver = Pioneer Elite SC-25
    Main Speakers = Polk VM30ís
    Center = Polk VM20
    Surrounds = Polk RM6751ís
    Subwoofer = SVS PC12-NSD

    Would a second subwoofer give me better results or an external amp? Should I focus on the rear speakers instead?

    Iím looking to spending between $700-800 and Iím willing to buy used.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    What is it you want to improve? Or what is it that you do not like or feal is lacking? HT or music? Maybe look into room treatments??

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    87

    Default

    I want more bass (rooms pretty big @ 19 x 20), so I'm leaning towards getting a second SVS subwoofer. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade the VM30's to something more musical, which made me think about getting an external amp. I'm pretty sure I'd hear the difference with a second sub verses an extra 60 watts in the speakers.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I was under the impression that the SVS is a very good subwoofer. You'd be better off upgrading your mains for sure, they have very small drivers which aren't the best at filling the room with rich chocolaty bass notes. It would be more coherent that way too.
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II


    For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blockatvalpo View Post
    I want more bass (rooms pretty big @ 19 x 20), so I'm leaning towards getting a second SVS subwoofer. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade the VM30's to something more musical, which made me think about getting an external amp. I'm pretty sure I'd hear the difference with a second sub verses an extra 60 watts in the speakers.
    Assuming 8' ceiling I wouldn't think the SVS would be that lacking. But if it's more bass you want then I would agree with you, a 2nd sub would probably do more for you than a little more power.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    223

    Default

    For your proposed budget, I'd go with a second matching sub or sell what you have and move to a sub higher up the line. How are your DIY skills? You can get quite a bit more for your money compared to most commercial offerings.

    Ideally, I'd upgrade the speakers if I was in your position, but that will be more expensive than the current budget.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 98Badger View Post
    For your proposed budget, I'd go with a second matching sub or sell what you have and move to a sub higher up the line. How are your DIY skills? You can get quite a bit more for your money compared to most commercial offerings.

    Ideally, I'd upgrade the speakers if I was in your position, but that will be more expensive than the current budget.
    On the contrary, $800 can buy some very impressive speakers on the used market
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II


    For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sm88 View Post
    On the contrary, $800 can buy some very impressive speakers on the used market
    I guess that depends what you consider impressive. Actually, I agree there are some good choices out there in that price range. It's been a while since I was looking at anything in the sub $1K range.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 98Badger View Post
    I guess that depends what you consider impressive. Actually, I agree there are some good choices out there in that price range. It's been a while since I was looking at anything in the sub $1K range.
    Paradigm Studio's, Tyler Acoustic Taylos, and Monitor Audio offerings come to mind.. It's a good price point for mid fi, he's stepping up from the thin Polk towers, it's really not hard to beat.. for that much money you can get easily a full 5 ch set of Paradigm Atoms which are great price for performance, or a pair of Studio's. Or even go for LSI's
    Current System:
    Paradigm Signature S2 v2
    Conrad Johnson MF2500
    Wyred4Sound DAC2
    Audioquest Black Mamba II


    For Sale:
    3x Wilson Cub's
    Conrad Johnson MF2500

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    At my computer - somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    944

    Default

    First off, how do you have your mains (and the sub) setup? Did you spend adequate time placing the speakers optimally using a familiar CD? Placement can make a WORLD of difference if you spend the time setting them up properly - it took me two weeks to setup my current loudspeakers to find their full potential and the bass (and everything else) sounded 10 times better when I finished!

    I would start with that, then go from there.

    my 2 cents...
    Last edited by fishbones; 09-14-2010 at 10:40 PM.
    ..... ><////(*>

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sm88 View Post
    I was under the impression that the SVS is a very good subwoofer. You'd be better off upgrading your mains for sure, they have very small drivers which aren't the best at filling the room with rich chocolaty bass notes. It would be more coherent that way too.
    I agree, I heard that SVS is fairly good. I suggest moving the position of the sub to another location in that room. I know when I move my sub around, it does change the volume of it. By the way, check out ACI titan subs if your still looking to buy.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Posts
    87

    Default

    When I bought the SC25, I moved the speakers all over the room until I found the best spot for them. I put the sub where I sit and the corner it's in now is the best spot for it. There's a good amount of bass coming from the SVSIt's loud, but I feel like I could use more umph somewhere and maybe getting bigger tower speakers is my answer. I have a set of JBL N38II that I could hook up to the SC25 to see if they sound better. The VM30's are great for home theater, but they're lacking umph for music. I bought my VM20's from the polk ebay store so maybe I'll see what they have on their site.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Maybe you can get your ears on one of these somewhere:

    http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help IC cables upgrade but not speaker cable upgrade, is there a difference
    By thsmith in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
  2. Upgrade???
    By PSOVLSK in forum Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 01:34 PM
  3. RTi upgrade: 8 to 10.
    By 2michaud in forum Speakers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 01:39 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 03:48 PM
  5. Svs Pc Amp Upgrade
    By Lee Bailey in forum Speakers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts