Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Default Anthem D2 or D2V and Arc

Soooo

anyone ever do a setup with the Arc with either of these pre/pros? On the used market they are not too badly priced (espcially the D2 IMO) and with 3D being all this and that these days I'm sure the pre/pro market will get into it and drive down the prices of the other stuff, sooo maybe even better.

So what I'm trying to figure out was how much of a pain in the butt or not was using one with the Arc set up?

Once before I beleive I was at a dealer and he stated when he had to set one up it was a PITA and really never wanted to do it again (however never got into why it was). That was like last winter and only time I've heard feedback about it.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I have set up many D2 and D2V preamps. The ARC system is a breeze to setup. You use a computer running ARC software and the MIC kit. It comes with a stand for easy setup.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Thats what I thought, it was just kinda plug it in and do the set up and not much else to it.

Wonder what he was talking about then...he wasn't an installer at all just a sales rep so that might be it... :)
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Squeezebox Touch
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Is the D2 pre the best for bluray?

There's never been alot of shoot outs between the D2 and other cheaper hdmi pre pro's

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    Is the D2 pre the best for bluray?

There's never been alot of shoot outs between the D2 and other cheaper hdmi pre pro's
    not sure about the best for blue ray but it does have a great sound quality to it and whenever I heard them, was amazed at it. Speakers, sources, and rooms were all different except the amps the units were hooked up to. Always heard the Anthem with Anthem pairing and sounded great for music and movies.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Squeezebox Touch
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Hopefully I will be able to give you an opinion on this in a week or two. I have a D1 arriving tomorrow and will be adding ARC to it. The audio section is unchanged between the D1 and D2. The difference if the D2 has HDMI 1.1 I believe. Since I'm going to use it in an audio only setup I decided to save about $1200 and go with a D1. A buddy of mine has a D1 with ARC and he says the ARC setup is a breeze. I really like what it's done for his sound, which is why I'm going the same route.

I saw an anthem D1 on ebay and it sold for $831 dollars !!!! I was for sure thinking a bidding war would have went on so I did not even submit a bid

I have heard alot of folks say the D2 triumphs the D1 in everyway hmm , I for one would still love to hear your thoughts on the D1 though

As far as sound quality goes .... It's not exactly as good as the price tag. I have heard lesser processors sound as good and better. For music it's pretty clean and clear but nothing shockingly real or krell like.
    It's quirky and stupid actually. I'm not a huge fan of the D2v2 or any Anthem preamp for that matter. Depending on what you expect out of it , there are better less expensive choices out there. As today you swap out your processor more often then keep it for years and years.
    Let me know exactly why you want a Anthem and I can tell you if it's a good choice or not. DOn't get me wrong it's pretty good and does a lot , the setup is very versatile and ARC is very good but when you think about what it costs , well that where I fall out vs performance.
    Dan

What other options do folks have if they were looking for a pre for bluray at the used price of $2800?

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    As far as sound quality goes .... It's not exactly as good as the price tag. I have heard lesser processors sound as good and better. For music it's pretty clean and clear but nothing shockingly real or krell like.
    It's quirky and stupid actually. I'm not a huge fan of the D2v2 or any Anthem preamp for that matter. Depending on what you expect out of it , there are better less expensive choices out there. As today you swap out your processor more often then keep it for years and years.
    Let me know exactly why you want a Anthem and I can tell you if it's a good choice or not. DOn't get me wrong it's pretty good and does a lot , the setup is very versatile and ARC is very good but when you think about what it costs , well that where I fall out vs performance.
    What other processors have you heard that sounded as good or better? I'm limited on brands I'm able to audition, but I'm always on the lookout for new options. There just aren't many high end places near me. My main interest in Anthem is the (relatively speaking) affordable room correction. I'll admit I really like the Anthem sound but that's just my personal preference so far. I'll agree it's not the best bang for your buck purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Badger View Post
    What other processors have you heard that sounded as good or better? I'm limited on brands I'm able to audition, but I'm always on the lookout for new options. There just aren't many high end places near me. My main interest in Anthem is the (relatively speaking) affordable room correction. I'll admit I really like the Anthem sound but that's just my personal preference so far. I'll agree it's not the best bang for your buck purchase.
    NAD my man , NAD. Not to mention the B&K ref70 sounded much better in a system that I had to remove a D2 for repair. I was actually shocked when I connected the B&K and heard the difference. B&K would be the go to processor if it was up to date with room correction and Processing. B&K eff'd up the rest of the processor but it sounds damn good.

On a side note , in digital Onkyo / Integra is a excellent choice for well rounded offerings. Using a Pioneer Elite SC model as a Pre is shockingly good. Cambridge Audio makes a fantastic sounding receiver for theater and totally kicks ass for music. Never had it as a pre but as good as it sounds I'm sure it would rock as most of the sound quality all comes from the Pre. Amps don't sound all that different when the spec's are close or solid state , tubes sound slow and warm like comfort food or something. Easy listening and very pleasing to the ear.

On another side note I did a 3 way shoot out with Anthem , Cambridge and NAD for 2 channel and funny I liked the Cambridge the best followed by NAD and coming dead last was Anthem. Price wise it should have been backwards. Funny how that worked out.
    Dan

I was always interested in the D2 and D2V due to a few things.

Always heard they have one of the best SQ's out there for a pre/pro. From what I heard for the systems they were great sounding. Once again most of the system I heard with them were always with Paradigm. Otherwise I heard it once with Focal which sounded great and once other with B&W. It always sounded great for movies, and not bad for music.

Also the ARC room correction. From what I've read on what it can do and how well it works drove me to look more into the units.

Other features like their upconverting, picture quality, ect got me interested as well. I have only heard a few other selections for pre/pros however never heard the NAD or Cambridge and there isn't any NAD dealers that carry their higher end stuff around me.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Squeezebox Touch
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Thanks for the input mantis. I'll keep an eye out for both NAD and B&K. Chances are pretty slim I'll run across one of them around here unless I take a long road trip. My D1 arrived today, so I'll be hooking it up tonight and putting it through the paces. I already know what to expect and I know I'll be happy, but it's always fun to compare. It was the room correction I really wanted anyway. Otherwise I stay away from pre/pros and use a dedicated preamp.

Thread Information